I really like my 353

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Philbert

Chainsaw Enthusiast
AS Supporting Member.
Reaction score
I have had a Husqvarna 353 for a few years, but don't use it much as I am often using the STIHL saws that belong to our volunteer group for storm clean up, or using one of my electric saws around the house.

Today, I pulled it out for some storm cleanup just to use it again for limbing and bucking. I have been running an MS460 for the past few days, and I really appreciate the power it has to cut through bigger wood. But it is heavier, and the longer bar is a bit more difficult to maneuver around in storm damaged piles.

Comparatively, the 353 felt weightless; ran smooth; started with minimal resistance; and with a sharp, narrow-kerf chain, sliced right through the oaks, birches, etc. we were cleaning up. I used it to cut up to 18 inch trunk sections with my 16 inch (14.5 inches exposed) bar.

I know that there are places for a bigger saw and more power. I know that other Husky models spin faster. It was just a pleasure to use a well running, appropriately sized tool. The only hard part was going back and forth from the STIHL saws, and remembering which way to set the control levers!

Philbert

That's a pretty nice review! I've heard mighty god things about them.

I myself use the lightest saw that will still be effective for the job I have at hand. It's helps a lot when the saw is hot-rodded a bit. I generally carry two saws when I go cutting, a ported 026 and an 044 or 372. It's a tribute to the little 026 that the bigger saw is rarely needed.

Last edited:
Nothing really wrong with the 353, except it isn't quite a 346xp! :)

It sure is a better saw than the MS260!

:agree2::agree2:. Ive looked at the 50cc size huskys. Couldnt really figure out why they offered the 353 and the 346xp. 353 has 1.7 more cc and .4 less hp.:dizzy: same 11 lbs on both, empty that is. Neither one is a x torq. Do they have the same bar mount? large or small mount?

Nothing really wrong with the 353, except it isn't quite a 346xp! :)

It sure is a better saw than the MS260!

Now, you just know you're going to get some responses from the Stihl guys regarding that 260 comment. LOL

Actually, and you won't find much more of a Husky guy than me, I don't understand why so many guys like to dump on the 260 all the time. It's a good, well balanced, reliable saw. Yeah, it's kind of dated, but it wears it's age pretty well IMO. No, it won't keep up with a 346, but I'd be surprised if a 353 could outcut it. In any event, the ability to win a cookie contest isn't the main point for most saw purchasers.

Like the OP stated, going from a MS460 to the 353 for the work he was doing, was mostly about weight and handling. It was a better saw for the job at hand, and had little to do with the respective brands. A guy going from a 385XP to a MS260 could have written much the same post.

:agree2::agree2:. Ive looked at the 50cc size huskys. Couldnt really figure out why they offered the 353 and the 346xp. 353 has 1.7 more cc and .4 less hp.:dizzy: same 11 lbs on both, empty that is. Neither one is a x torq. Do they have the same bar mount? large or small mount?

Small mount on both - and the only real difference is the engine. The 353 is just there to hit a lower price point, without creating a totally new design, as with the 359 vs. the 357xp. :)

Last edited:
I use a 353 at work alot but I don't like it quite as much as my 260. Alot of people rag on a 260/026 alot but I would take mine over a 353/346xp anyday. I'm not a fanboy of any brand, I like huskys just as good as Stihls, but I like the way the 260 cuts and feels in my hand. may not be quite as fast as a 346 but that don't mean much to me. It would outcut the 353 I have been using though. Not ragging on the 353 either though. It's a good saw too.

I love my 353.

I have a 353, it's the newer edition, with the primer bulb, and the 'faceliftet' topcover! It's the best all-round saw for my firewood needs! I can limb with a 13 inch, or I can buck with a 20 inch! It has never let me down! My dad also has a newer 353, along with one of the last of the old styles, a 07. Personaly, my experience is that the 346xp isn't that all-round.

I don't agree with that, when the 346xp is a 50cc NE one - the 353 is just lacking a really good top end, in comparison. It still is a good saw though!

I know you don´t agree troll :cheers: But this winter my Husky 365 had a worn out Crank! We where in the midlle of bucking a 25"+ Beech tree! Tried bucking with my 346XP Ne and a 18" NK bar! Didn´t do that well! Next day, we had another big beech tree! I tried bucking with the same bar, this time on my 353, it really did shine there! My Dad has tried a 202 St Kerf bar in his several times, and it has performed very well also.

Where the 346XP Ne really shines is up to 10- 12", in beech, oak etc.

Just my experience!

:msp_wink:

Experiences will of course vary, another thing is that .325 NK/Pixel doesn't really fit the NE 346xp too well.....:popcorn::popcorn::givebeer:

Experiences will of course vary, another thing is that .325 NK/Pixel doesn't really fit the NE 346xp too well.....:popcorn::popcorn::givebeer:

I´m aware that you say that about the NK combo! But since the 353 was wearing the exact combo, the result should be compareable? :msp_thumbup:

I´m not rying to talk the 346XP ne down! Also, don´t think it´s possible on here :hmm3grin2orange:
But, I would say the 353 deserves more credit, than it gets! Especialy here :msp_wink:

I ported my 353 and put a 359 carb on it. This sucker cuts like a rabid beaver now. I love that saw. I have a ported oe 346 and it cant keep up!!

I've never run a 353, but from what I've learned, it should have a wider power band than a 346xp.

That said, my old 45cc 346xp will pull a 16" bar buried in oak just fine. Actually it's impressive.

My new 346xp is noticeably stronger/faster than the old one, now that it's broken in.

The key to a 346xp cuttin fast, is keep the RPM up and let the saw eat.:msp_smile:

Back