Is it just me or is the 038 Magnum underpowered

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So there's one more tree to cut down and I'm going to leave it because what am I going to do with 16 to 20 inch rounds I loaded up my diesel truck the other day full of rounds never have I ever been able to make that truck notice a difference and let me tell you man that would must have weighed a ton because I could feel it was in the truck so I'm going to finish cutting up what's left out there and he can deal with the one tree but I guess the neighbor came over and talked to me the other day and somebody else down the road needs a tree cut down but I don't have enough experience to be falling trees unless it's in an area where there's nothing I can hit
I get into some trees way beyond my skill level. That's when I get my DNR fire buddy to stop n drop em for me. In fact I have a big hollow oak he's gonna spot me on hopefully this weekend if it doesn't snow much. I'd just leave it but its enough to heat my house for 6-8 weeks.

Holy crap I have to take back everything I said about this saw. In larger wet pine this saw just gets after it! it's not fast but you can't hardly make it bog like all the other saws this thing did awesome today cutting all this big wet stuff none of the other saws could hold a candle to it I am absolutely amazed although I lost my oil cap somehow and the gas cap has always been leaking so I went down to the dealer and bought a new one for both for like $8 a piece. I figured today the saw earned it
So my conclusion is that when it comes to torque and grunt this sauce has got it but for small stuff or easy stuff it doesn't really do any better than anything else the 372xp Boggs easily as does the dcs6421 and actually the little 52cc dolmar 111 doesn't really bog down it just won't cut any faster

If I were you I'd keep it.

I get into some trees way beyond my skill level. That's when I get my DNR fire buddy to stop n drop em for me. In fact I have a big hollow oak he's gonna spot me on hopefully this weekend if it doesn't snow much. I'd just leave it but its enough to heat my house for 6-8 weeks.
Its not as easy as the pros make it look. Heres my scarry job. It was stupid trying this. I don't have anyone around here to help me with it so this is the extent of as far as I'm going to go I got lucky it didn't fall on me or something stupid. It was a very dumb idea but once I took a big chunk out of it I knew I had to down it and I was pretty nervous about it 20181114_170022.jpg 20181114_165136.jpg 20181114_165130.jpg 20181114_173356.jpg 20181114_160317.jpg 20181114_160308.jpg

Hey live and learn... I'm glad it turned out well at any point... I have to say I'm surprised you used the 038 to fell. I would have used the dolkita or 372. Fell with your most comfortable saw at a height that's easy to work... Especially if its just for firewood you can flush cut the stump later and you don't need the extra length on the log anyhow.

Hey live and learn... I'm glad it turned out well at any point... I have to say I'm surprised you used the 038 to fell. I would have used the dolkita or 372. Fell with your most comfortable saw at a height that's easy to work... Especially if its just for firewood you can flush cut the stump later and you don't need the extra length on the log anyhow.
The 20 inch bar on the Makita wasn't long enough

I'd almost be embarrassed to post the pictures of it. so I'm not going to cut down the other tree I'm done cutting trees until I can work with somebody else that has the proper experience to show me how to do it right

Refreshing to see such honesty and common sense! Live long and prosper.

Refreshing to see such honesty and common sense! Live long and prosper.
I'd like to see my kids grow up he'll one of them is not even born yet for me to be a jackass and leave my boys fatherless would be pretty stupid but I almost did it that tree could have killed me easily if I did it wrong

IF you did it wrong?

It’s not that complicated. Especially when you go with the slight natural lean/weight of a just-off plumb tree. This is ALWAYS preferable, even by an expert.

Stand back, have a look from some different directions. Hang your hatchet if need be to verify plumb.

Have two clear escape routes planned.

Make your notch about 1/3 tree depth or so. Open humbolt is safest. Your back cut about 1 1/2” above the root of the notch. All cuts level ( this is where sloppiness generally happens).

Don’t cut off your holding wood. Listen to and watch the tree as your back cut proceeds. When your backcut is a couple of inches away and above and parallel to the root of your notch slow down a bit on the cut. The tree should start to move in the intended direction. Move well away from the stump at a 45 on one of your escape trails. Watch for falling branches from your tree and others. Voila.

There are about a million YouTube videos on falling.

Hotsaws101, Buckin Billy, and several others are good resources.

Also, the Worksafe BCvideos are another good resource. Watch them all, what the heck!

Your chain is dull too. Never good to fall ANYTHING with a dull chain.

Your saw has sights. Use them.

It’s hard to imagine that you have a bunch of saws and have never dropped a tree.

That is an easy tree. You gotta get GOOD at those EVERY time before you attempt anything remotely fancy. You could drop that tree pretty quick with a 16” bar..

And it IS refreshing to see that you are comfortable showing a mistake.

Anyway, we have all done stupid stuff, or stuff that doesn’t work out as planned (one of the reasons for the escape routes). The nature of trees is that each one is different. This makes it potentially complicated.

watch some videos and read some stuff. The information in any reasonably modern chainsaw owner’s manual is a wealth of information...

Be mindful of the wind...

Bla, bla,bla..bla, bla

IF you did it wrong?

It’s not that complicated. Especially when you go with the slight natural lean/weight of a just-off plumb tree. This is ALWAYS preferable, even by an expert.

Stand back, have a look from some different directions. Hang your hatchet if need be to verify plumb.

Have two clear escape routes planned.

Make your notch about 1/3 tree depth or so. Open humbolt is safest. Your back cut about 1 1/2” above your horizontal notch. All cuts level ( this is where sloppiness generally happens).

Don’t cut off your holding wood. Listen to and watch the tree as your back cut proceeds. When your backcut is a couple of inches away and above and parallel to the root of your notch slow down a bit on the cut. The tree should start to move in the intended direction. Move well away from the stump at a 45 on one of your escape trails. Watch for falling branches from your tree and others. Voila.

There are about a million YouTube videos on falling.

Hotsaws101, Buckin Billy, and several others are good resources.

Also, the Worksafe BCvideos are another good resource. Watch them all, what the heck!

Your chain is dull too. Never good to fall ANYTHING with a dull chain.

Your saw has sights. Use them.

It’s hard to imagine that you have a bunch of saws and have never dropped a tree.

That is an easy tree. You gotta get GOOD at those EVERY time before you attempt anything remotely fancy. You could drop that tree pretty quick with a 16” bar..

And it IS refreshing to see that you are comfortable showing a mistake.

Anyway, we have all done stupid stuff, or stuff that doesn’t work out as planned (one of the reasons for the escape routes). The nature of trees is that each one is different. This makes it potentially complicated.

watch some videos and read some stuff. The information in any reasonably modern chainsaw owner’s manual is a wealth of information...

Be mindful of the wind...

Bla, bla,bla..bla, bla
Ahh buckin Billy Ray I love watching that guy anyway what exactly are the sites on the saw that I keep hearing about I know it's probably a dumb question but it's pretty obvious I don't know much.

I noticed that some of the other trees that had already been fell out here had the notch cut and the back cut made lower not above

Well since the website seems to be cooperating here's pictures of my new Stihl oil and gas caps when I was out cutting I lost the oil cap somehow in the gas cap is always leak so I figured what the hell they were like $8 each
Not exactly period correct but oh well you can't get the old ones anymore.20181113_223745.jpg 20181113_223757.jpg 20181113_221443.jpg

In those videos when you see a guy get down behind his saw while the saw is in the level cut of the notch he is checking his sights. Sometimes it is just a quick look across the saw, sometimes it is a real careful sighting, depending on the situation.

Watch hotsaws101. He does it pretty much every time. A trained faller at work.

Look at your saws. They have marks across the top and recoil cover that are square to the bar.

Notice the “fin” that stands proud on the recoil cover of the 038..that is the sight. There will be more on that saw..It’s in line with the starter handle, pretty much.

Actually, that is wrong, it is further forward and extends out of the venting and lines up with an indent in the top cover.

Anyway, you will figure it out if you look

Back