Is it just me or is the 038 Magnum underpowered

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

August76

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
Ive had this saw long enough now. I don't really feel that it holds up to the hype it don't really feel that it compares to any of the other saws that I have. it works well but it's heavy and underpowered... or so it seems that way to me. I thought maybe the chain just wasn't in that great of shape but I spent a lot of time getting it nice and sharp and it really made no difference. All my other saws feel like they will out cut it except for the McCulloch super 250 nothing feels real slow.
20181101_145652.jpg 20181101_145658.jpg

4923719a4fe0b7c0a97cee32eb514034.jpg

Yeah, total dogs
56e069a97372351ca9c988af7677fed3.jpg

Home for wayward dogs, here !!

Erik

Most disappointing saw I ever ran. It was an overweight turd. It brought decent money when I sailed it.
I thought it was just me . But after using all my saws in the last few days i concluded it sucks. 72cc why so weak?
I sure hope the 044 is a lot better.

In this time frame 038's are probably worth more as spares than as a whole: there are plenty of saws in that displacement segment on the market right now, most of them better performers than the 038. We are flooded with Echo CS-680/6800, Stihl 044/MS440/whatever etc. People looking to either downsize because they have no need for such large saws or to raise cash for the latest Husqvarna and Stihl 70cc saws. The time of wild chainsaw values is over and it's not coming back: too many saws chasing the same number of buyers, most of whom already have enough saws to devastate the Amazon rainforest.

I suggest taking a look at used prices in your area. If no 038's are available, look at 044 prices and ask 15-20% less. You may sell in a couple of days or in a couple of months: there's really no way to tell these days, but sell it quick before more people realize how truly swamped in used saws we are and start making lowball offers you have to take.

@August76. your pic looks like a regular 038 which is 61 cc. the 038 super 66cc. the 038 magnum is 72cc.

Not nessecelery...

038avm.JPG

I know there were some variations in the tags but from what I recall the 61cc was labeled '038 av electronic quickstop', the 66cc was the same with the addition of 'super', then the triple port 72cc had the red 'magnum II' on the tag.
The dual port 72cc (Brazilian made in this case) had the plain jane tag...

I realize they're a good solid saw but weigh a ton and an 044 is very noticeably faster/stronger and in pretty much every way a superior saw.

Latest posts

Back