Is it just me or is the 038 Magnum underpowered

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've heard the air filter is restrictive . The muffler looks like it would flow pretty well compared to newer stuff

i prefer the oe mesh filter & bing carb. seat of pants diff compared to zama. have both & oe flocked filter, too. dont even bother w/china filters.
as said, measure bore, my mag has "stihl 038" tag.
once ya know what ya got, check comp, 150ish is good on s or m.
never had the smaller version.
one o my "go tos". there's 044 [lighter, lil faster] & 460 here, too.

IMG_1580.JPG

i prefer the oe mesh filter & bing carb. seat of pants diff compared to zama. have both & oe flocked filter, too. dont even bother w/china filters.
as said, measure bore, my mag has "stihl 038" tag.
once ya know what ya got, check comp, 150ish is good on s or m.
never had the smaller version.
one o my "go tos". there's 044 [lighter, lil faster] & 460 here, too.

View attachment 684157
I rebuilt it with a tecomec piston and Caber rings it has 155 or thereabouts PSI
Its def a mag

Not nessecelery...

View attachment 684144

I know there were some variations in the tags but from what I recall the 61cc was labeled '038 av electronic quickstop', the 66cc was the same with the addition of 'super', then the triple port 72cc had the red 'magnum II' on the tag.
The dual port 72cc (Brazilian made in this case) had the plain jane tag...

I realize they're a good solid saw but weigh a ton and an 044 is very noticeably faster/stronger and in pretty much every way a superior saw.
This song here in that picture is exactly how mine was supposed to look you can see where the sticker was anyways I'll say it one more time I rebuilt it so I know that it is a 72

By the way it has a bing carburetor and an oem stihl air filter. Look closely you can see the remnants of the Magnum sticker or the sun had bleach through I'll look and see if I still have any pictures of the rebuildP_20180817_000552_p.jpg

Stick an oem piston and rings in it and report back.
The caber rings are better than OEM piston rings and there isn't enough difference in the tecomec and the OEM piston to make any noticeable difference to anyone. The Piston skirts and everything are exactly the same height it is clearly a dog there is nothing that you can do other than porting it that is going to make a hill of beans difference but thanks for the suggestion. I went down that route of consideration when I rebuilt it

Yea I love me some old saws but I was never a fan o the 38's either.. 044 is better in every way. The 38 mag like you have is far and away the best of the bunch but still not in the same class. They are really a generation existing between the modern and classic saws that while unique are more of a red headed step child now. I would take a 56mag any day over it.

Yea I love me some old saws but I was never a fan o the 38's either.. 044 is better in every way. The 38 mag like you have is far and away the best of the bunch but still not in the same class. They are really a generation existing between the modern and classic saws that while unique are more of a red headed step child now. I would take a 56mag any day over it.
Yeah that absolutely makes sense and I start to understand when I'm looking at things now how they are that in between type of Saw they do have some pretty good low-end grunt but I just keep expecting a little bit more zip it reminds me of how the McCulloch super 250 feels

I'm guessing it's a waste of time to Port this shitbox too?
Bury it in the garbage as a spare or sell it during storm season.
I guess if you'd never ran a better saw you wouldn't know better
after owning the dcs6421 my expectations are a little high for most saws. I guess the 372xp sets it even higher and my 372xp is a bone stock 2018 model so it's not even that powerful compared to the older ones

Hey its not a **** box... Do you think your husky or dolmar will be doing as well after 35 years??? I would sell it to an occasional user who just occasionally needs a bigger saw. Or sell it to a 38 fanatic that has all the obscure parts sitting there handy... Parts for the 38 are the biggest concern right now. Oiler, electronics, clutch, chain brake stuff. Pistons are probably about the easiest part to get. If all you have is a 50cc saw and need to buck a big blowdown then its a huge step up.

The sticker is gone and I rebuilt it so I know that it is 72 CC because it was burned up when I got it
Got it. Couldn't see the remnants of the magnum sticker in your original pic. The older generation saws didn't have the speed of today's saws but we're the cats meow in their day. Keep using it. It will grow on you.:rock2:

Hey its not a **** box... Do you think your husky or dolmar will be doing as well after 35 years??? I would sell it to an occasional user who just occasionally needs a bigger saw. Or sell it to a 38 fanatic that has all the obscure parts sitting there handy... Parts for the 38 are the biggest concern right now. Oiler, electronics, clutch, chain brake stuff. Pistons are probably about the easiest part to get. If all you have is a 50cc saw and need to buck a big blowdown then its a huge step up.
I think the dolmar 111 is nearly as old and its a mean saw. I also think that the 372xp and the dolmar dcs6421 will go the distance they are both built like tanks

Got it. Couldn't see the remnants of the magnum sticker in your original pic. The older generation saws didn't have the speed of today's saws but we're the cats meow in their day. Keep using it. It will grow on you.:rock2:
Im trying. Maybe a smaller bar? Different sprocket. It at least has the upgraded clutch drum that can run any type of sprocket

Latest posts

Back