Is it just me or is the 038 Magnum underpowered

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Interesting comments about the 038's. I have never ran one so I can't comment one way or the other but I always wanted to get an 038 mag but never bought one when they were available. I think the OP may be running too much bar and chain. They had 20 in bars when they were available to buy.

My neighbor dropped off two saws and a blower (yuck) to get running . One of those saws was a plain Jane 038 . It does run but has a carb and fuel line problem which makes it a little temperamental and could rob the saw of some power. I have had it running in the shop and appears to be a good strong sounding and running saw . I don't know how it does in the wood though. This 038 has a Tilly HK carb which is a different animal from most carbs I have seen . I am eagerly waiting to see if the new carb kit will make a difference in the way this saw runs. My neighbor swears by it and is one of his favorite saws and he has an 046 but seems to prefer this 038. He heats with wood and does a fair amount of cutting.

Someone made the comment to the OP about new rubber in the carb and to report back . I would go along with that statement before giving up on the under powered 038 saw. I am waiting to see if new carb parts make a difference in this saw and if it will run better than it did before.

I might be over stepping my bounds here but I have been doing a little research on this carb problem . Seeing that Tilly HK carbs from Stihl for the 038 are pretty much NLA. Stihl starting using a Zama carb which is recommended for a replacement of the HK Tilly . I am guessing that from the comments made here are that the Zama carb is more for the Super and Magnum 038's which have more cc's than the regular 038. The question is would a Zama carb improve the cutting performance of a regular 038 or not ? I am only asking just in case my neighbors carb is total junk and the only option is to switch to a Zama so he can continue using the saw.

Just another comment for the OP . I would go with 046 before a 044 . Had both and prefer 046 . Just a personal preference and nothing more, both are good saws

Interesting comments about the 038's. I have never ran one so I can't comment one way or the other but I always wanted to get an 038 mag but never bought one when they were available. I think the OP may be running too much bar and chain. They had 20 in bars when they were available to buy.

My neighbor dropped off two saws and a blower (yuck) to get running . One of those saws was a plain Jane 038 . It does run but has a carb and fuel line problem which makes it a little temperamental and could rob the saw of some power. I have had it running in the shop and appears to be a good strong sounding and running saw . I don't know how it does in the wood though. This 038 has a Tilly HK carb which is a different animal from most carbs I have seen . I am eagerly waiting to see if the new carb kit will make a difference in the way this saw runs. My neighbor swears by it and is one of his favorite saws and he has an 046 but seems to prefer this 038. He heats with wood and does a fair amount of cutting.

Someone made the comment to the OP about new rubber in the carb and to report back . I would go along with that statement before giving up on the under powered 038 saw. I am waiting to see if new carb parts make a difference in this saw and if it will run better than it did before.

I might be over stepping my bounds here but I have been doing a little research on this carb problem . Seeing that Tilly HK carbs from Stihl for the 038 are pretty much NLA. Stihl starting using a Zama carb which is recommended for a replacement of the HK Tilly . I am guessing that from the comments made here are that the Zama carb is more for the Super and Magnum 038's which have more cc's than the regular 038. The question is would a Zama carb improve the cutting performance of a regular 038 or not ? I am only asking just in case my neighbors carb is total junk and the only option is to switch to a Zama so he can continue using the saw.

Just another comment for the OP . I would go with 046 before a 044 . Had both and prefer 046 . Just a personal preference and nothing more, both are good saws
Isn't Bing the big upgrade? I'd like to try one but the Tilly has been trouble free. Lines and a kit once but that's all. Always wondered if the Bing would help on the torque end though.

Not really sure about that one. The 038's have been discussed here before . I didn't mention this but many comments on the 038's were that they were gas hogs whatever that means but the Bing carb was mentioned in pretty much the same sentence as the gas issue along with being troublesome and hard to work on. I don't know myself as this is the first 038 I have had my hands on.

Not really sure about that one. The 038's have been discussed here before . I didn't mention this but many comments on the 038's were that they were gas hogs whatever that means but the Bing carb was mentioned in pretty much the same sentence as the gas issue along with being troublesome and hard to work on. I don't know myself as this is the first 038 I have had my hands on.
It has the Bing. The tilly was never used on the mag. Not that it matters. They came with the bar thats on it as far as i know it was standard

It’s a solid saw that’s overbuilt. The port timing on the saw and it’s weight decrease it’s wow factor. The airfilter is restrictive and has the choke flap in it. Then carb is rather small and has an odd square sided Venturi IIRC.

Buddy has one he bought new when he needed the stumping saw. The 044 had just come out, the catalogue he has with his receipt shows the 044 as a “new” model. The dealer he went to didn’t trust the 044 for stumping, so he sold him the Brazil 038 Mag (looks just like the OP’s) for around $1000 at the time. Pretty sure it was the late 80’s. He hasn’t even adjusted the carb yet, the saw starts on the 3rd pull, and it’s never had any issue.

It’s known for torque, yet it has a larger bore and shorter stroke than an 044. Go figure.

If you can afford an 044, try one out and sell the 038M. That 038 will just run and run though.

To me, the old slow cutters become nostalgia saws. Anything modern can cut circles around them, so unless you have a passion for that specific model, it won’t see much use. So I could see keeping it if it’s really purdy and you enjoy it’s veiw.

To me, the old slow cutters become nostalgia saws. Anything modern can cut circles around them, so unless you have a passion for that specific model, it won’t see much use. So I could see keeping it if it’s really purdy and you enjoy it’s veiw.
I'd take an old slow Mac 125 over a Stihl 880 any day and that is for real everday big wood work. I'm thinking the Mac 700 and 850 are only slower depending on bar length and cutting technique to a 044 or 460. Vibes on the 125 is no worse than a 880. The 700 has a few, but only a few vibes on the 044. And the 800 and 850's are way smoother than a ms460, much less a 660. Oh yea, they can generally run, AND OIL, much longer bars with ease.

Did you grow up there? I grew up in Sutherlin.
No skagit county in Washington.. near old scott paper. Marblemount, rockport, concrete, sedro wooley, bellingham, burlington, mt Vernon, if youre familiar with Washington state. I lived in rogue valley a while and drain also.

It may not have chain speed , and it vibrates , and its heavy, however it will pull long bars in hard wood possibly better than a 044 think the saw I had was a mag II built in Brazil
Mine pulls and oils a 32" fine for occasional use it, just gets it done! If the 500i ever materialises maybe the pro's will call it too heavy and jumpy and I can get another dog saw.

No skagit county in Washington.. near old scott paper. Marblemount, rockport, concrete, sedro wooley, bellingham, burlington, mt Vernon, if youre familiar with Washington state. I lived in rogue valley a while and drain also.
Funny I was born in Skagit county as well... Moved when I was 4 though. About the time you were born :) Might know an older brother if you got one of them though.

Those older saws didn't have the HP to Weight ratio like the newer saws....but....they were built like tanks and made to last.
Hence the reason there are so many of them still floating around and still running strong.
They also don't have all this new EPA garbage on them, which itself, makes them somewhat priceless!
Nice looking saw by the way. I'm sure if you put it up for sale at a reasonable price, someone who appreciates classic iron will snatch it up.

Back