Is it just me or is the 038 Magnum underpowered

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Funny I was born in Skagit county as well... Moved when I was 4 though. About the time you were born :) Might know an older brother if you got one of them though.
Haha I was born in Mount Vernon up on the hill in a birth Chapel that they don't have anymore no older brothers pretty funny small world

Those older saws didn't have the HP to Weight ratio like the newer saws....but....they were built like tanks and made to last.
Hence the reason there are so many of them still floating around and still running strong.
They also don't have all this new EPA garbage on them, which itself, makes them somewhat priceless!
Nice looking saw by the way. I'm sure if you put it up for sale at a reasonable price, someone who appreciates classic iron will snatch it up.
Well what I might do is see about getting it ported I've got extra parts for it and it definitely is a cool looking so I think but I just always thought that it would be an animal I bought it not working obviously so when I finally got it done I expected it to be a lot more power it's definitely not bad it will do a lot of work

2c223711ec29947e60423effade016e4.jpg
0ac9b92704eb170b369320c7780fe525.jpg
233fcb43f41ee478c16b9b9106d39cde.jpg
ce0ab5620214f8c65a4f25133222416b.jpg
58b515ba6c39fc0b1c9ba027a46c3760.jpg

My 2 mag ll one ported with oem 3 port muff and other all fully powdered oem topend never fueled

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

20181111_110940.jpg 20181111_112918.jpg 20181111_112855.jpg 20181111_112824.jpg 20181111_112756.jpg
52 mm 3 port muff made in brazil

They didnt come with mmws sticker thats extra bananas

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Yeah I just noticed that it had some kind of round sticker I'm not sure what it would have been the starter cover says made in Germany but someone told me that this saw based on the serial number is made in Brazil
I don't think it was made in Brazil because I think it is an earlier 038 based on the plain label

Ain’t nothin wrong with the 038 ... the limiting factor is the air - flow on that saw ... once ya get her to breathe those 72cc will decimate logs with a 20” bar !

I totally agree with the 20” bar recommendation. Not sure from the pics, but looks like a 24” bar on that 038. Drop back to a 20” or even an 18” and you’ll see a huge improvement.
I think way too often now days, saws get these long bars stuck on them when the extra length is not even needed, and the saw doesn’t have the proper HP to spin it. Just bogs em’ down.
Not to get off topic, but I’ve also noticed lately the marketing ploy in the big box stores, Lowe’s etc., of putting 20” and even 24” bars on those 455 Ranchers etc. which is way more bar than those saws have the ass for. But they ‘look’ impressive until the unassuming purchaser takes it home and buries it in an oak or hickory and the saw says waaaaaah Ugh!
Those size saws are much better suited for a 16” or 18” bar, with a maximum of 20” if cutting soft wood and you’re patient.

I totally agree with the 20” bar recommendation. Not sure from the pics, but looks like a 24” bar on that 038. Drop back to a 20” or even an 18” and you’ll see a huge improvement.
I think way too often now days, saws get these long bars stuck on them when the extra length is not even needed, and the saw doesn’t have the proper HP to spin it. Just bogs em’ down.
Not to get off topic, but I’ve also noticed lately the marketing ploy in the big box stores, Lowe’s etc., of putting 20” and even 24” bars on these 455 Ranchers etc. which is way more bar than those saws have the ass for. But they ‘look’ impressive until the unassuming purchaser takes it home and buries it in an oak or hickory and the saw says waaaaaah Ugh!
Those size saws are much better suited for a 16” or 18” bar, with a maximum of 20” if cutting soft wood and you’re patient.
Its 25 or 24. I cant remember what one .

I took the 20 inch bar off of my Makita and put it on my 372xp I actually didn't see a big difference on that saw but I don't like a 28 inch bar on any saw and that's what was on that thing. Looked cool but has absolutely no function for what I do.
never ever do I cut anything that big. in fact I'd probably avoided wood that big on purpose because that's too big around to screw around with firewood the bigger the wood is the harder it is to split and the longer it takes to dry out and the people that buy firewood from me don't like big huge rounds anyway

I sharpen the living **** out of the chain and now it cuts like my 372xp with a dull chain. The other thing I realized I've never done is I've never touched anything on the carburetor and I guess I probably could tune in a little bit get it to where it starts to four stroke a little bit

I always had a good opinion on my 038 Magnum, maybe I'll have to get it out and check it again. I have a 372xp also and always thought the 038 had more torque but not the rpms of the 372. Just running them around the shop I'd have to say that I'm more impressed by my Homelite 924XL than the other two..

Homelite 924XL than the other two..

Yea.... Love them old homies.... I might be Jaded though :) SXL925 is prob the best but the 924 is almost the same saw anyhow... Only thing that sucks about them is the fuel line.... For a classic saw that is. Not going to keep up with the late 90's early 2k saws which are my personal fav modern era of saws. But its my fav classic by a long shot.. Not too heavy to use for extended periods and still good power. People complain about the vibes or hot starts but they don't seem any worse than other same era saws.

I always had a good opinion on my 038 Magnum, maybe I'll have to get it out and check it again. I have a 372xp also and always thought the 038 had more torque but not the rpms of the 372. Just running them around the shop I'd have to say that I'm more impressed by my Homelite 924XL than the other two..
It actually feels like it has the same amount of torque

You probably should get the carb adjusted right, especially after a (partial) engine rebuild... even a little off the optimum setting will make any saw lame.

You probably should get the carb adjusted right, especially after a (partial) engine rebuild... even a little off the optimum setting will make any saw lame.
Yep your definitely right
It's definitely very close to perfect though

Back