Is this new spark plug electrode okay?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

user 140828

ArboristSite Member
AS Supporting Member
Reaction score
Just received this WSR6F plug in the mail. The side electrode covers only about 40% of the center electrode. In my car repair days long ago spark plug side electrodes extended far enough to fully cover the center electrode. Are things different nowadays or is this plug defective?spark plug.jpg

Looks like Bosch China is mixing full & half coverage designs & some in between lols, as I dumped out a new box of 10 & they’re all full.

Actually, either will run fine in saws, but the full coverage run hotter & provide more life as you’re not eroding the same place (or the side out of) the center electrode.

The half coverage exposes more spark to the chamber, as it’s not “hidden” by the ground strap electrode.

Keep it for a spare & buy a NGK, as they are all full!

I use NGK in my saws but looks like the Bosh are like that now. Why? Who knows.
Check this out:
s-l1600.jpg
770915415.jpg
s-l1000.jpg

But again here is a other one . The way should be:
41K6aaxFegL._SL500_AC_SS350_.jpg
WSR6F.jpg
130-112.jpg

I read somewhere that modern thinking is with electronic ignition systems they work best if the ground electrode end is squared off with sharp edges & square corners as apparently the spark jumps easier/better from a sharp edge, the short ground electrode allows the spark to jump to a solid part of the centre electrode than arc down the side/edge of the centre electrode they reckoned a square centre /half length ground electrode worked best & that one of the plug manufacturers were currently testing producing them but not seen any for sale retail yet may be they are like the other wonder plugs that were going to change the world but the old type still rule Time will/not tell

Back