Jonsered Chainsaws

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Unlike the difference between the 1100 and the 2100 Husky, I'm betting between the 110 & the 111/111S the differences are very subtle. Or...the 110 was very short lived and morphed almost immediately into the 111/111S.

From that pic at least, I'm not seeing anything significantly different on the left side of the saw & handle.

Kevin

Here is what I believe to be the case:

The 110 was a one-year only saw.

Not sure how long the 111 was around, but it started off with a one-piece top cover, like the 110, and looked a lot like the 110. Not sure of the differences; no one has been able to nail this down other than the decals.

Then you had the 111 with the two piece top cover (separate air filter cover). I'm thinking that was only a year or so; haven't seen many of these.

Then the 111S, always with the two piece top cover.

Scott

I did see and (early?) 111S with a one piece top cover. So it's possible they were using existing stock before they changed to the two piece cover of the 111S.

Just to add to the 110/111/111S confusion....lol. Obviously a saw in transition to get to the 111S with the two piece top cover. But what were the real mechanical differences; slightly different piston sizes, reinforced cranks, slightly different porting/timing etc?

Kevin

I "think", and therefore have no proof, that the 110 and 111 both had the tall skinny block letter "JONSEREDS" decal on the rear of the top cover. As for your thoughts on the timeline/evolution of the 110/111/111s I "think" (there's that word again) that you right.

I did see and (early?) 111S with a one piece top cover. So it's possible they were using existing stock before they changed to the two piece cover of the 111S.

Just to add to the 110/111/111S confusion....lol. Obviously a saw in transition to get to the 111S with the two piece top cover. But what were the real mechanical differences; slightly different piston sizes, reinforced cranks, slightly different porting/timing etc?

Kevin

I don't think the 111S ever got a one piece top cover. My reasoning -- I do believe the 111 came with a two piece top cover, probably for the last year or so of manufacture. That's just an educated guess based on these pictures...
jonnyduobl1.jpg 111ado4.jpg

Good question on what the mechanical differences were. If I have a chance to review the relevant literature, I'll let you know if I find anything interesting.

Thanks

Scott

I "think", and therefore have no proof, that the 110 and 111 both had the tall skinny block letter "JONSEREDS" decal on the rear of the top cover. As for your thoughts on the timeline/evolution of the 110/111/111s I "think" (there's that word again) that you right.

The 111 with the 1 piece top cover definitely did.

111101292493700dr0.jpg

Here's my saw; still not sure if it's a 110 or 111.

IMG_0679.JPG

If you look at the picture of the 110 that I posted next to the 111 above, it appears that it has the same decal. I'll see if I can get better pics.

Scott

Looks like the 166 piston is taller from the center of the pin to the top....be concerned about squish. It might seem like it would make more compression, but it's not a dome piston. I dunno....initeresting exchange.

Kevin

Looks like it's not a bolt-in swap, but pretty close. I'm thinking you'll need to machine the squish band a bit in the jug before the 166 piston has acceptable clearance.

Scott

Looks like it's not a bolt-in swap, but pretty close. I'm thinking you'll need to machine the squish band a bit in the jug before the 166 piston has acceptable clearance.

Scott
Scott,
Would this be to replace the worn piston in that one runner, or revive the dump 111S? If so, where in the world would you find a replacement con rod, after you had the jug replated?

Kevin

Scott,
Would this be to replace the worn piston in that one runner, or revive the dump 111S? If so, where in the world would you find a replacement con rod, after you had the jug replated?

Kevin

Kevin -

I definitely need one piston -- that's for the dump 111S that blew up. And I have another 111S with 120 psi -- might jump back up to 150 psi with new rings, but the piston has seen better days. So I really need 2 pistons. As for a connecting rod, I'd like to find an NOS or good used one, but I also need to see if there are other saws that use the same or a similar rod. And I'll have to get the jug re-plated before I can use it again.

Scott

Scott,
Unfortunately, the 110/111/111S are so proprietary that the Dolmar piston thing is just a fluke. Who knows though.....maybe a con rod from another giant will work.

Kevin

I think a con rod from another motor is more likely to work. If you can get the right length, you're in good shape as long as the big end and small end aren't too big. And if the small end is too big, you can bush it. If the big end is too small, you can grind the crank journal down some, or even offset grind for a bit more displacement. Same tricks old school hot rodders used before aftermarket pistons, rods, and cranks were readily available and reasonably affordable.

Scott

Evening everyone. New guy to Jonsereds, figured I would check in here and say ‘Hello’.

Recently picked up 5 saws for $100, one of which was an abused Jred 2065 Turbo (don’t think it was ever cleaned since new, looks like it was stored in the bed of a pick-up since it was bought 1997). Tore it all down, new bearings, seals, swapped to a 372xp cylinder/piston/intake/carb. Literally just put it together this evening, gonna fire it tomorrow.

I only read back about 30 pages. There is A LOT of info in this thread! Some of you guys are absolute savants with the older saws.

Evening everyone. New guy to Jonsereds, figured I would check in here and say ‘Hello’.

Recently picked up 5 saws for $100, one of which was an abused Jred 2065 Turbo (don’t think it was ever cleaned since new, looks like it was stored in the bed of a pick-up since it was bought 1997). Tore it all down, new bearings, seals, swapped to a 372xp cylinder/piston/intake/carb. Literally just put it together this evening, gonna fire it tomorrow.

I only read back about 30 pages. There is A LOT of info in this thread! Some of you guys are absolute savants with the older saws.
He’s polite.......left out the idiot part of savant.....

He’s polite.......left out the idiot part of savant.....

I don't know. I was kind of thinking it was a typo...

Being a savant means you are extremely adept in one particular area, but MAY lack knowledge or experience in other areas. Idiot savant is more widely known and more commonly referred too, which infers a mental handicap although the individual is extremely skilled in a specific field or ability.

I’m not calling anyone mentally defective, I was simply in awe of the impressive knowledge displayed here.

Well, now that I have gone ahead and stepped on my own crank with golf shoes on, how’s everyone doing tonight?

Latest posts

Back