Jonsered Chainsaws

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Before Tilton closed their website I put all they had on a CD. Use it often.

There's a real story in the Tilton dynasty...I wish somebody would write it up. Especially the part about losing Jonsered and why. I was never sure if it was a corporate decision or Tilton's. In any event, there probably wouldn't have been any Jonsereds to speak of in the PNW without Tilton of Portland, OR. And since Tilton was outa MN, there's a story to be told. I bet if Acres is still around, he could tell it.

I came into J'reds in the early 80's...late in the game. I never took the saws seriously until the 80 kept proving itself as a back-up saw over and over again (still going strong today). I would have tried more of their saws when I was loggin', but their service and sales distribution was mostly through Portland and that just wasn't handy for where I was working....not with a Husky shop or two almost everywhere.

As great a saw as the 111S might have been, without full support & service, I'd have sold it in an instant as a firewood saw......like I did all my clapped out Husky 2100's. You HAD to have two fully fucntional and I mean 100% functional saws to make scale. You couldn't even be down two hrs or the day was a wash.

Kevin

There's a real story in the Tilton dynasty...I wish somebody would write it up. Especially the part about losing Jonsered and why. I was never sure if it was a corporate decision or Tilton's. In any event, there probably wouldn't have been any Jonsereds to speak of in the PNW without Tilton of Portland, OR. And since Tilton was outa MN, there's a story to be told. I bet if Acres is still around, he could tell it.

I came into J'reds in the early 80's...late in the game. I never took the saws seriously until the 80 kept proving itself as a back-up saw over and over again (still going strong today). I would have tried more of their saws when I was loggin', but their service and sales distribution was mostly through Portland and that just wasn't handy for where I was working....not with a Husky shop or two almost everywhere.

As great a saw as the 111S might have been, without full support & service, I'd have sold it in an instant as a firewood saw......like I did all my clapped out Husky 2100's. You HAD to have two fully fucntional and I mean 100% functional saws to make scale. You couldn't even be down two hrs or the day was a wash.

Kevin

Yep......that's the way with any tools you make your living with......down time IS expensive.....

There is supposed to be a rubber bumper of some sort in there. One of my 111s came with it, but it disintegrated when I took the cover off and I wasn't able to find the part on the IPL I had.

View attachment 616234
At temps below +15°F the plug in the partition between the cylinder and the carb can be removed to prevent icing. Would the plug fit in the clutch cover hole for storing the plug?

Ooooooh........now we are getting somewhere. The Swedes always conscious of operating machines in sub zero temps.

Does anyone have a pic of the plug in place between the cylinder & the carb?

Kevin

The plastic plug in the plastic partition? If that's the one you're talking about, it's much too small. I don't have a picture, but I cleaned up one of my 111S's today, including the plastic partition.

Did some parts swapping today and now I have three good saws and one that needs just about everything...

The one that needs it all is a 111S dump find that came in from Canada. It donated a good top cover, clutch cover, decomp, rear handle, muffler, large felling dogs, and full wrap to some of the other saws. It was in the dump because the engine blew - small end of the connecting rod camp apart. Piston and rod are junk; crank may still be good; not sure at this point. Jug can't be saved without re-plating.

The 110/111 doesn't have spark, but I haven't tried to chase that down yet. Compression is good at 150.

Of the other two, both are in pretty good shape, but one has a piston that's seen better days. Still has 120 psi compression, however.

IMG_1103.JPG IMG_1104.jpg IMG_1105.JPG

There’s a guy in Canada that’s supposed to do good work.....about $300-$350 per jug. You’ll be hell finding a piston, that’s for sure.

These old chrome plated and Nakasil bores most times will clean up well as long as the pitting and transfer scratches are not excessive. Most of the hones I see for sale are ball. And that’s fine in solid wall cylinders, but with porting transfers the balls tend to dip in the ports and do damage.

That “Wigglesworth” method is what I use. Mandrels are cheap and you make your own size in relation to your bore size.....use the appropriate sized piece of brown ScotchBrite and hone till your heart’s content. No potential to damage like with a ball hone.

Hopefully you have a good crank still. You’ll probably have to get yet another 111s for the con rod....lol.

Kevin

Bore and plate was $200.....saw it somewhere here on AS.
And there is another piston that will work.

Stronger too $150. Didn’t have the cash when mine was ported. So it used the stock piston and didn’t go as wild. Maybe when I find another.."..
Someone had them made.

166 piston. At work and on a break. I’ll think of it in a minute.

Didn't know there was another piston that would work on the 111S. Be interesting to me who makes a better-than-OE 111S piston. $150 is pretty steep for a piston, but not to these collectors that are spending toward $1,000 for a mint 111S.

I've read a lot of postings about jug plating on AS. For every two done right, the third was not. That's why I mention the guy in Canada...I see no negatives on his work.

Kevin

Didn't know there was another piston that would work on the 111S. Be interesting to me who makes a better-than-OE 111S piston. $150 is pretty steep for a piston, but not to these collectors that are spending toward $1,000 for a mint 111S.

I've read a lot of postings about jug plating on AS. For every two done right, the third was not. That's why I mention the guy in Canada...I see no negatives on his work.

Kevin
I hadn't heard of the bad jobs. Thanks. I got an 090 jug to go on my 084 that has to be re plated.
Cheap insurance on the plating if he is good then.

The Pistons were made for the other saw but they will work.
If I have the guy get one there will be one on the market anyway.

I'll try to look it up.

Interesting! I happen to have a Dolmar 166, and when I bought it, I got a spare 166 piston for it.

Uncle Lee is your Huckleberry for all things 166, by the way. I think he had 20+ at some point, and he had a batch of custom pistons made by Wiseco.

And the key word here is "had"......was just PMing him now

I think I got one more 111s piston. Got to look. I got a few parts. Just where?

Back