Jonsered Chainsaws

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The dealer that sold mine to me packaged it with a 16 and 24" bar and included an 8T sprocket for use with the 16, 7T for use with the 24. I was pretty diligent to switch sprockets with the bars for a lot of years and the 24" bar, sprocket, & chains got limited use.

I do run an 8T 3/8 .058 chain with 16" bars now and put the 24" with an 8T on my 930. That is also a pretty nice set up!

Along with the saw I got the Carlton File-O-Plate that I still have and use, a simple little tool to put in the clutch to hold it while changing the sprocket, and a grease gun to inject grease into the bar sprocket bearing and remarkably I still have an use all those items.

I think the only real change I've made on any of the 621's I've owned is replaced the bar nuts with ones that measure 17mm across the flats. We use these at work and so I have an ample supply; I just made sure to include a 17 mm wrench in the chainsaw tool box along with a few spare nuts.

Mark

That is a good idea. I have been lucky to still have the original nuts and one scrench to fit them.

I agree that the 621 is a great saw. Since I first ran one this past winter it is the only saw that I use for firewood. I know that I have to start using the others, but that 621 feels so good going through the wood!

How different is a 621 from a 70E, They sorta look same vintage...

Question for Sawtroll (or anyone else)

Troll, can you tell me what year that Jonsereds changed the starter logo from the earlier black and silver badge to the more familiar black, red and white one? Your 1970 621 must have the black and silver. My 621s are one of each and my two 52Es are black and silver as well but the straight 52 is black,red and white as are all my 49sps. Just curious. Thanks.

Troll, can you tell me what year that Jonsereds changed the starter logo from the earlier black and silver badge to the more familiar black, red and white one? Your 1970 621 must have the black and silver. My 621s are one of each and my two 52Es are black and silver as well but the straight 52 is black,red and white as are all my 49sps. Just curious. Thanks.

I have wondered this myself, and have done a little research. It is hard, as the saws of those years don't have an easy way to date them, and I don't have any brochures that old. So, here is what I have. The 49SP came out in1976. Every 49SP I've seen has the newer decal. This puts the change before '76. The 90 came out in 1975 and every one I've seen has the newer decal. This puts teh change before '75. They stopped making the 51 in 1973 and every one I've ever seen has the older decal. This puts the change after '73. So, I think the change must have come in 1974 or so, but this is by no means set in stone.

I have wondered this myself, and have done a little research. It is hard, as the saws of those years don't have an easy way to date them, and I don't have any brochures that old. So, here is what I have. The 49SP came out in1976. Every 49SP I've seen has the newer decal. This puts the change before '76. The 90 came out in 1975 and every one I've seen has the newer decal. This puts teh change before '75. They stopped making the 51 in 1973 and every one I've ever seen has the older decal. This puts the change after '73. So, I think the change must have come in 1974 or so, but this is by no means set in stone.

That is some pretty good deductive reasoning, there!

That is some pretty good deductive reasoning, there!

Well, it took more thought than I was ready for. Some of the pictures on Acres site of MotorSags restorations threw me off the trail, as they have the newer decals, even when the saws probably didn't have them when new. But I have seen it on Farmalls, when the proper decal isn't available, a newer one looks better than no decal at all.

Dating???

Yes every 49 that I 've seen is the newer type logo. My original 49 I bought in the spring of 1977 but I have a number of parts saws newer and older. The older (lower #s) are the sam as the newer. So If they stopped the 51 in '73 they must have started the 52 in '74. Did they start the 52E at the same time? I think I remember the dealer having a couple of different priced black tops when I bought the 49. Back then price was more of an influence on my purchasing power than desire.

Yes every 49 that I 've seen is the newer type logo. My original 49 I bought in the spring of 1977 but I have a number of parts saws newer and older. The older (lower #s) are the sam as the newer. So If they stopped the 51 in '73 they must have started the 52 in '74. Did they start the 52E at the same time? I think I remember the dealer having a couple of different priced black tops when I bought the 49. Back then price was more of an influence on my purchasing power than desire.

I think the 52 was sold along side the 51 starting in 1971, replacing the silver top 50. I don't know when the 52E came in, but I would say early in the run. The 49SP more or less replaced the 51.

I think the 52 was sold along side the 51 starting in 1971, replacing the silver top 50. I don't know when the 52E came in, but I would say early in the run. The 49SP more or less replaced the 51.

I see. It's to bad I didn't't pay more attention back then. I needed a saw and from cutting with an old friend who had a couple 80s I knew that what I wanted was a Jred. Nothing else would do.

As I mentioned earlier the two 52Es that I have are with the older logo so perhaps the 52E came in the 73-74 era. I just checked the #s on my 52s and actually the straight 52 with the newer logo has a much lower serial # than the two E models. Probably the recoil got changed out somewhere along the way. Be interesting to see if Troll has any further info.

Mine is missing that badge, and I never looked into that issue - sorry.

Oh well, thanks for the come back Troll, was hoping you might have some info on that. Thanks again. Do you know of any other way to id the older Jreds by year?

Not really - it is about finding out when changes in production was made, but that is not easy.

The possibility that parts have been replaced by newer versions or non standard ones (from other models) is also a factor on saws that old.

Yeah, parts sure do get changed around in 30-40yrs of use. Jred did like to use as many of the same parts as possible on as many different saws as they could, to keep production costs as low as possible. I was just wondering if there was a way to "read" the serial #s to distinguish one yr from another.

Sounds like more imformation lost to the ages. Pretty much an educated guess is as close as we can come. Oh well it isn't like we need to know this to get parts as that is over as well. It's to bad as these saws were the base of almost all the saws that we have today. Who ever thought about mounting the saw motor in rubber mounts to make it more of a pleasure and easier to use for longer periods of time.????? Who came up with a nonrestrictive muffler that was actually quiet??? Who thought up having the exhaust point away from the operator and not blow right in your face??? NOT Mac or Homelite thats for sure. Long live the old Jreds!!! (I don't really know if they actually invented all that stuff but their saws were the first saws that I remember having those advances.):cheers::cheers:

Thanks for your input on this Mr. Sawtroll:cheers::cheers:

My latest acquisitions:

ChainsawBonanza-Jonsereds1.jpg

2 - 510SP (should make one runner easy)
2 - 621 (one looks like a runner, one is just a case)
1 - 70E
1 - 80
1 - 670
1 - 670 Champ
3 - M36 (not sure if they'll run, but all look complete)

I predict that most of these will be runners (1 - 510SP and 1 - 621 likely will not).

These came a part of a "lot" of saws. I brought home one truck load (8' box) and will go back next weekend for the rest. Most of the rest are cases and parts boxes.

It was a great day for Jonsereds!

:cheers:

Damn Chris, what a haul. I seen you said you got the Poulans also, but I see Homelites too!

You dog you....

LOL ... it was a sweet ride home!

20 Homelites in all. One big old blue bugger that I saw a picture of somewhere on here recently. That one will likely be up for a restoration.

Most of what is left are parts saws, but there are a few completes left as well. Maybe I will find that 490 handle for you from this batch, but I will not know until next weekend when I go back for the rest.

The weekend after that I go to a different place where an ex-Jonsereds dealer has a pile of saws for me and 2 binders full of manuals and IPLs.

That handle may show up sooner rather than later.

:cheers:

Back