• Please be aware that we have recently gotten a wave of users that, when researched, are found to be from Nigeria. They are trying to sell products and asking to be paid through Zelle or Venmo leaving users with no recourse if they don't ship the product. If you suspect this activity please contact admin and we will research their information to verify their location.

ArboristSite.com Sponsors
www.harvesterbars.com

Lube clutch bearing?

Snap

ArboristSite Operative
Any particular type of lube to use on the clutch needle bearing reassembling a Husqvarna clutch?
It just looked oily when taken apart but I wasn't sure if it wanted some type of grease. I can imagine that whatever is put in there will probably melt when the heat gets to it.

NIP Group

Snap

ArboristSite Operative
Thanks guys. I wasn't sure if it should be something like brake caliper grease that holds up to heat. I see that the Super Blue is intended for moderate to high heat.

Huskybill

Huskybill

Addicted to ArboristSite
I usually use the push in grease gun that comes with the saw. Or a Oregon one. One to two pumps lubes it. I use what ever I have from chassis lube with moly in it. I never notice clutch slippage or wear.

olyman

olyman

Tree Freak
I usually use the push in grease gun that comes with the saw. Or a Oregon one. One to two pumps lubes it. I use what ever I have from chassis lube with moly in it. I never notice clutch slippage or wear.
one or tow pumps!!!!!! buwwhahhaaaaahahhahhahaahhaaha!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Broken

Broken

The Great White North...Eh !
Yeah normally once a yr I flip my bar during routine chain sharpening and dab some moly on the clutch bearing while I am at it .

Huskybill

Huskybill

Addicted to ArboristSite
one or tow pumps!!!!!! buwwhahhaaaaahahhahhahaahhaaha!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
If the clutch bearing is visible through the clutch I pump grease till I see the first sign of the grease oozing from the bearing.

Don’t grease this bearing? Changing the crank because the roller bearings became square could be costly.

I grease it often.

ML12

ArboristSite Guru
I use chassis grease, im sure it doesn't last long. The bearings on my saws only get greased if they happen to be apart for some reason, otherwise they receive no maintenance.

EchoRomeoCharlie

EchoRomeoCharlie

ArboristSite Guru
I know people who use their saws daily, running 5 + gallons of fuel daily, year after year. That have never greased a clutch bearing and no problems so far.
Lets see, 5 gallons of fuel is 128oz x 5 = 640oz of fuel.

A 461(common production saw) has a 27oz fuel tank.

640oz / 27oz = just shy of 24 tanks of fuel. So, they would be working 12 hours a day and averaging a half hour per tank of fuel. Even if I were bucking logs into firewood for 12 hours I don't think I could go through 24 tanks of fuel in a day.

Those are some tough men you know.

EchoRomeoCharlie

EchoRomeoCharlie

ArboristSite Guru
How many times have you seen that happen with a chainsaw clutch?
Risk analysis.

Chance of occurrence is extremely low.
Cost of occurrence is extremely high...most people would just buy a new saw if they torched the crank on a modern saw
Cost of maintenance to avoid the risk? Extremely low.

I'll keep on greasing my bearing.

Duce

Addicted to ArboristSite
Lets see, 5 gallons of fuel is 128oz x 5 = 640oz of fuel.

A 461(common production saw) has a 27oz fuel tank.

640oz / 27oz = just shy of 24 tanks of fuel. So, they would be working 12 hours a day and averaging a half hour per tank of fuel. Even if I were bucking logs into firewood for 12 hours I don't think I could go through 24 tanks of fuel in a day.

Those are some tough men you know.
So, tree service running 4-5 saws would only be working 2-3 hours. And yes they do lot clearing.

Duce

Addicted to ArboristSite
Risk analysis.

Chance of occurrence is extremely low.
Cost of occurrence is extremely high...most people would just buy a new saw if they torched the crank on a modern saw
Cost of maintenance to avoid the risk? Extremely low.

I'll keep on greasing my bearing.
Agree, but my question was have you ever seen one ruin a crank? I take it you have not.