Ms290 why do so many hate it?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mustang71

Addicted to ArboristSite
AS Supporting Member.
Reaction score
I love my 290 it's better than my other saws. I'm not a professional wood cutter just a wood burner. I'm slowly looking for a blown up one to build a 390. I have never read anything good about these saws from reviews except from people who own them. What's so bad about them for a home owner saw?

Lots of saw snobbery I suspect. I have a 290 converted to 390 and it's not bad at all. I am actually enjoying using it.

The 290 will cut alot of wood, but there are better options. The 290 is just a bit heavy and oversized for most people that run pro saws. But they are a rock solid and reliable machine. And you can't deny them that.
If you can deal with less power and more weight, then no worries.

Steven

I bought an ms290 new and it was much better than anything I had run before. But it would struggle with the 18" bar buried so I shied away from really large diameter logs. Then I got an ms440 for the big stuff and an 025 for the small stuff, just a great combo. Sold the 290 to a relative as I just wasn't using it anymore.

When I cut I have a small saw and a big saw my 290 or my husky 450 cut all the trees around here and my poulans cut all the branches and stuff under 8 inches but the 290 out runs the 450 any day. I'd love a big saw but I burn 7 cords a year and split by hand. Anytime I cut a few trees down my back hurts what's heavy? The logs weigh more than the saw.

I had a ms310 for years. Same family of saw. My brother now has it and it's cut 4 to 5 cords a year since new and probably will for ever.
People don't like them because they are a little heavy, and the way the motor comes apart is a pain. They ain't "Pro" grade... But they are a great all around saw.

My criticism of them would be the price. For the same or less money a guy can buy a better saw. Something along the lines of an echo cs590 or a Dolmar 5105 or 6100. The 290 is a fine saw, but around here even a used one will cost you over $300. The same money could buy a used ms260 or 360, either of which is a better saw.

The saw snobbery has died down around here in the last year or so and I'm fine with that.

3-4 years ago you would almost get tarred and feathered in the Chainsaw forum if you suggested a homeowner saw for any application. Now you have guys porting HO saws to see how much performance you can get out of a bargain saw.

In reality, HO saws cut a ton of wood. And with good maintenance a HO saw will often outlast it's owner when used in a non commercial application.

That's y I didn't post in the chainsaw forum because I knew I'd get ripped apart lol. I bought mine used since they don't make them anymore for less than 300 with the 20 inch rollermatic bar and it all looks brand new. I was looking up info about a shindaiwa 488 and found a post from this site trashing the 290 saying the 488 was a way better saw and that's how I came up with this post.

Yes, there are better saws for the money. But, like me when I started, most need support. I wanted a dolmar when I got my 310 but couldn't find any support local and the only place selling them wanted dang near $500 for a $400 saw. No place carried shindawa. But almost every town has a Stihl dealer close who can at least have parts on hand and some have a good tech. That's what made me go 310. And I was replacing a 044 that got stolen.....

I love my 290 it's better than my other saws. I'm not a professional wood cutter just a wood burner. I'm slowly looking for a blown up one to build a 390. I have never read anything good about these saws from reviews except from people who own them. What's so bad about them for a home owner saw?
I have a 290 that I used for 3 years, it's a been a good saw. But I bought a 362 and have not picked up the 290 since. Not much difference in weight but the power of the 362 is so much stronger.

Well, I loved my 290, then a few months ago the oiler croaked on it. I took the 36" bar off my 660 and put the 25" on. I just haven't gotten around to the oiler yet. But I love the 660 too. It's really not that much heavier than the 290, and it cuts a whole lot faster, Joe.

I had a ms310 for years. Same family of saw. My brother now has it and it's cut 4 to 5 cords a year since new and probably will for ever.
People don't like them because they are a little heavy, and the way the motor comes apart is a pain. They ain't "Pro" grade... But they are a great all around saw.

I bought a MS310 back when they first came out, sstill using it, have cut soft and hard woods using bars to 24". Used to be my 'goto' but has been relegated to secondary now. Main is a MS361 with a MS441 for the big stuff, mostly felling using a 32" bar. 310 goes to the field with me every time but I usuallyi only grab it if the 361 is wearing too long of a bar or the 20 or 24" chain dulls rather than stop and change chains. That 310 ate 10 - 12 cord every year until the 361 came along.

Idt is down on compression but still in there cutting fine.

If I could afford a 660 then a 290 would not have been my first choice. I chose between a nice looking 028 super and a 290. I cut firewood cause I can't afford propane. I wanted something with some power that was reliable and I wanted a stihl.

That 290 will last you a long time. It will never get the legend status of a 360/036 but I see them all the time in the woods, in the back of truck and on tractors. They to me are like a 307 Chevelle. Never going to be a LS6 ss but it does just about the same thing. Just a little slower...

My father inlaw had a 029. Got stolen and went right out and got another 029. He hasn't cut wood in 3 years sense I cut everything for him. Gave me all his saws (024, 019t, hsuky 455, husky 61) except the 029, 039, and he bought a nice 460 and a 3 foot bar that he made 2 cuts with in a year. There garage trophies. I always make fun of his 029 but it is a good saw, my 391 is still my go to saw.

I used a mm'd 290 for a few years and it was great. Then i got a 362 cm and did the muffler mod. It's just a joy to use compared to the 290. Smoother and less vibes plus more power. Sold the 290 but it did fine. It's a reliable saw.

That 290 will last you a long time. It will never get the legend status of a 360/036 but I see them all the time in the woods, in the back of truck and on tractors. They to me are like a 307 Chevelle. Never going to be a LS6 ss but it does just about the same thing. Just a little slower...
I'm a big fan of the 360s. I have 5 saws, 3 are 036, 360 & 361

Latest posts

Back