My life, my workbench

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I used to have a Dodge 2500 with Cummins. Quick little truck, made 522hp, 1150 ft lbs to the wheels. Just had injectors, a turbo and a bit of tuning. And a well built transmission.

Traded it for a Fox body Mustang, snowmobile and trailer a few years ago. Sold the trailer and Mustang, traded tge sled on a TIG welder.
My fuel pressure was dropping to 7 psi on the dyno pull, which would explain the flat HP curve.. by the looks of it 500+ should have been easily attainable
Here's the dyno sheet20161202_155902sm.jpg

Well, we got 9 calves now.. and the Massey is all finished up too
17373103_10154205437136790_30409902_o.jpg 17357432_10154205435011790_1854699816_o.jpg

And some babies!

17200087_10154173249021790_2080552462_o.jpg

17269035_10154189757401790_49003144_o.jpg

17269925_10154187460916790_1865434826_o.jpg
Meanwhile I got my big bore 066 top end for my 064... really really poor quality... makes the Manhattan project Farmetec top end look OEM.. rings are tweaked and wouldn't fit in the piston grooves.. sanded them a little and made them work.. ports actually look fair though, but the surface finish of the cylinder is highly suspect... certainly isn't nikasil...
So what do I call Manhattan #2?

Yes, it is nice country here... some days are especially nice.. we had some rain overnight a few days ago, then the sun came up in the morning and there was steam rising from all the fields... was really cool

Anyhow, I ordered a new chinese top end for the 064 a while back, it came, it was REALLY poor quality, twisted rings, pitted cylinder, etc.. started a return on it and stated I'd be willing to give it a try anyhow.. saw didn't last long enough to warm up before it bound up solid.. no hassles with the return though.

Anyhow, since I've been happy with the farmertec top end in the Manhattan project (no, it hasn't blown up yet), I got a farmertec 066 big bore top end for the 064 and it looks much better.. .020" squish with no base gasket, and a pretty small combustion chamber with a very good squish band (wide band).. I didn't do any machining to it, just cleaned up the ports a little without changing the timing significantly.. thing runs like a beast, and it's a BEAR to start and will yank that rope out of your hand pretty easily.. I didn't have a decomp valve for it so I made a plug.. I'll have to take a compression reading from it after I run it a while.. I'm guessing in the 180 area?
Did some noodling with it and it goes great, sounds angry.. .For a $35 top end I think I'll be good for a while.. came with intake boot, base and exhaust gasket, fuel line, and the wrong conn rod bearing (Unless 066's have a smaller con rod?? sounds ridiculous).. Anyhow, I used the old bearing and original wrist pin

Lose her calving? Sorry to hear that. We have had to do some crazy stuff saving calf's and heffers before. You will surely save some to maker up for it.

No, lost the cow, calf is fine and I'm working on getting him a new momma.. he's already figured it out and he's persistent so the cow will give up at some point..
This was the cow, with her calf, a week ago.. she went downhill fast from an infection

It is paying off.. I think he's already got the cow worn out. I just went out there and they were both nursing.. I also put another cow that lets pretty much any calf nurse in with them, and it took him all of a minute to go try the new menu item with good success, so I think he'll do just fine.

Well, we got 9 calves now.. and the Massey is all finished up too
View attachment 567308 View attachment 567312

And some babies!

View attachment 567309

View attachment 567310

View attachment 567311
Meanwhile I got my big bore 066 top end for my 064... really really poor quality... makes the Manhattan project Farmetec top end look OEM.. rings are tweaked and wouldn't fit in the piston grooves.. sanded them a little and made them work.. ports actually look fair though, but the surface finish of the cylinder is highly suspect... certainly isn't nikasil...
So what do I call Manhattan #2?

20170407_143525.jpg

They all came over to see why I had a baby (my black lab). Normally they don't have a care in the world unless there's a feed bucket.

They probably thought "that's the ugliest calf we have ever seen, and look at those teeth!"

I have never seen a pole barn built like the one in the background. Not much chance of that one falling down.

A lot of mine are sucks for attention.. some are pretty vocal about it. One of my yearling heifers in particular will hang her tongue out and grunt at you if she thinks she's getting something good.

Here is Mega's heifer from last year Yotta having some fun in the compost pile... Hoping she turns into a good cow to keep the line going.

Mega's first daughter Sofa fast asleep.. she's a hilarious character but not a great cow

And this is Mega's 3/4 sister Cenci with her calf Hera.. I'm really liking the way she's built.. like her momms... Kinda like @ValleyFirewood 's barn.. really stout

Here's the 064 being started up

And here's why yanks the handle out of my hand... ~210 psi compression on 98cc
The 394 is easy in comparison

20170409_190441.jpg

They probably thought "that's the ugliest calf we have ever seen, and look at those teeth!"

I have never seen a pole barn built like the one in the background. Not much chance of that one falling down.

Metal power poles about 2ft in diameter. Bought at auction for pennies on the dollar I guess. It's something the landowner built. We are just clear cutting about 120 acres.

I'm guessing there is a lot of structural materials and equipment from the oil industry out there that can be picked up fairly cheap. I was told by a person that works out there that sometimes the companies will just dig a big hole and bury all that stuff rather than transport it back to somewhere they could sell it.

I just added another saw to the collection.. @rocketnorton would probably like it.. Pioneer 1073.. I'm fairly certain is has under an hour of run time on it!.. It has a spanking new chain on it, spanking new bar, no damage to be found anywhere at all, no wear on starter rope guide... Only "bad" part of it is the paint is flaking off.... fuel line was cracked, easy fix.. Guy who used to have the local saw shop gave it to me for ONE cigarette.. said he didn't want to fiddle with it... I finally have me a 50cc saw. coughs on the first pull, runs on the second pull!

Latest posts

Back