Olympyk, Olympic, Oleo Mac, Emak, Efco, Blitz, Folux, Spartan, Spartacus thread

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Jerry, I'm not sure on converting to degrees, I'm sure someone can help with that, but I use the depth measurement on a cheap digital caliper down the bore hole.

$20 or so will get a cheap digital 6" at Menards, TSC, etc., and you'll find it handy a lot more places. Just make sure it has the "tail" coming out of the end, that's what you use for depth measurement, and I've seen a couple real cheap ones that don't have one.

image_1318.jpg

thanks steve. wouldn't you know it. i just bought a dial indicator 2 months ago at HF with no tail piece. BTW you may know the saw i'm talkin bout.

Dont know if I`m way off the mark here, but some of the older ALPINA saws [also Italian] have both coarse &fine pitch metric fasteners. Mostly the common metric bolts etc. are coarse pitch. could it be your oil pump hole is the fine pitch thread. Even here in FRANCE where nuts & bolts have all ways been metric, the fine pitch are VERY difficult to source. Do you have access to cycle thread data? that is a fine thread & although imperial is very close to metric sizes, Also BA threading is a similar fine pitch.

i actually got the pitch and thread measured in metric and SAE and yes it is a very fine thread. these measurements are fairly accurate but are subject to some +/- but the pitches seemed to fit well on pitch gauges. diameters were taken with electronic caliper.
metric - pitch is 0.8, diameter is 7.85mm
SAE - pitch is 32, diameter is 0.309"

2. i don't have a dial indicator and really don't want to spring for one. i have printed out a degree wheel and want to use that. i am looking for verification as to whether my conversion from vertical (linear) measurements to degrees is correct.

Assuming:
engine stroke - 32mm
ignition timing - 2.2mm BTDC

Conversion:
(2.2/32) x 180 = 12.375 degrees BTDC​
is this correct?
thanks

That's not correct; piston displacement isn't linear with crank angle. Google found this calculator; I can't vouch for its accuracy. You need to know the rod length to use it.

TorqSoft - Piston Position - Calculation Tool

There are a few threads out there describing how to check older points/condensor ignitions with a VOM. Try searching on Fluke (they published the original document).

Mark

P.S. I will add that when you check the condensor with a VOM, try switching the leads back and forth a few times. The battery in the meter will charge the condensor, when you switch the leads around you will see a little "blip" on the meter before it returns to infinite resistance.

Mark

Last edited:
i actually got the pitch and thread measured in metric and SAE and yes it is a very fine thread. these measurements are fairly accurate but are subject to some +/- but the pitches seemed to fit well on pitch gauges. diameters were taken with electronic caliper.
metric - pitch is 0.8, diameter is 7.85mm
SAE - pitch is 32, diameter is 0.309"

Sucks about the caliper. Can I suggest spending another 20 +- on one with a depth guage?

Threads sound like M8x.75 - a rare bird for sure. Most threads in the M8 size are 1.0 (fine) or 1.25 (coarse) pitch. I've worked a lot with metric at work and never seen a tap in that size, did not know it existed until I went to googling to find out what the heck you have.

Taps and dies are available, guessing you could use a 5/16" rod for base stock. Let us know how it works.

Efco are they reverting back /splitting the brand

A saw shop local to me changed some 4years ago from Husky to Oleo Mac[ There were already 2 more Husky dealers in the area] After about a year his stock changed to Efco &up to about 3weeks ago stayed that way. Called in 2 or so weeks ago & all his chainsaw stock some 20 or so have reverted back to the orange/grey Oleomac label . When I asked about it the answer, Policy change, I wonder whats in the pipeline?

Sucks about the caliper. Can I suggest spending another 20 +- on one with a depth guage?

Threads sound like M8x.75 - a rare bird for sure. Most threads in the M8 size are 1.0 (fine) or 1.25 (coarse) pitch. I've worked a lot with metric at work and never seen a tap in that size, did not know it existed until I went to googling to find out what the heck you have.

Taps and dies are available, guessing you could use a 5/16" rod for base stock. Let us know how it works.

There is a very hard to come by M8 JIC thread which is M8x 0.8 I did have a couple of bolts in this thread , I will have a search[But don`t hold your breath] If I have any joy I will post the fact

new question. is the Oly 956 worth having? when woods modded how does it compare with a 61cc? can a BB kit be put on it?

956 same as 156, and Stihl Crazy says a 962/162 is a direct bolt on, and I believe that also. Check out the thread on 962, 360/361 comparision.

Jerry, If your looking at the 956 thats on Ebay right now, thats actually a 950. Sam as a 945 only a little bigger. Nothing like a 956 or 962. Good saw though, and if its a runner you'll like it. If its not a runner though, it has a Tillotson carb, and those things can be funky. My 945's have Walbro carbs, and they are dead on reliable, I've messed with a few 950's with the Tilly's and have had mixed results. My good 950 is a good saw. Heavy like all Oly's but overbuilt and tough as nails.

Jerry, If your looking at the 956 thats on Ebay right now, thats actually a 950. Sam as a 945 only a little bigger. Nothing like a 956 or 962. Good saw though, and if its a runner you'll like it. If its not a runner though, it has a Tillotson carb, and those things can be funky. My 945's have Walbro carbs, and they are dead on reliable, I've messed with a few 950's with the Tilly's and have had mixed results. My good 950 is a good saw. Heavy like all Oly's but overbuilt and tough as nails.

yeah that was the one but got edged out. too bad but oy vay

I watched that saw with interest because I have a slew of those in the parts pile. I thought it sold a little high but I guess thats good for me if I go to sell. Hopefully the buyer knows he was getting a 950 or 950 Super.

I bought a NOS carb from that parts source I told you about and am going to put another 950 AF together from the parts pile.

Did you ever get in touch with that girl?

What girl? If she has Olympyk parts she must be a hottie.

Never met her but if she has parts she's a 10 in my book.

I watched that saw with interest because I have a slew of those in the parts pile. I thought it sold a little high but I guess thats good for me if I go to sell. Hopefully the buyer knows he was getting a 950 or 950 Super.

I bought a NOS carb from that parts source I told you about and am going to put another 950 AF together from the parts pile.

Did you ever get in touch with that girl?

still haven't gotten in touch with her. my round tuit seems to have been misplaced. i know jeff's been looking for an electronic coil for the 200 series oly's.

There is a very hard to come by M8 JIC thread which is M8x 0.8 I did have a couple of bolts in this thread , I will have a search[But don`t hold your breath] If I have any joy I will post the fact

al, appreciate your effort. i went ahead and ordered the efco numbered puller even though it is limited supply and back ordered. i would definitely be interested in the bolt if you do find it. just need something to insert that i can get a good grip on. thanks, jerry

I just picked me up a used olympic 950 with a scored piston. Does anyone know where I could get parts for these older olympyks?

I just picked me up a used olympic 950 with a scored piston.

Theres a company from India that I thinks still makes them under the Oleo Mac name. There called AIP pistons. I bought a 272 kit from a guy on Ebay a few years back and he had other saws listed. I never used it so I'm not sure of the quality but when I bought it I threw a thread on here and got a few replys about them. I'll PM you.

Oil pump puller for 945-950, 001000050

Oil pump puller for 350-264-261. 001000090

May or may not be available.

went to my local authorized efco repair shop and ordered the 001000090 tool on May 27. it was a special order with limited availability. had to order it from italy. finally came in monday. took one of my parts saws in for test before taking delivery. voila! it works nicely. seems though that the thread on the puller is different than the thread on the oil adjusting screw (different pitch) obviously it doesnt use the same thread as the adjusting screw. anyways, it works. wahoo. cost $20 to order and another $7 for shipping. if you're thinking about getting one i'd do it sooner than later before thay become totally extent. thanks for the heads up SC. hope your issues are resolving in your favor. good on ya. jerry

Back