Retrieve from a ravine

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Oldman47

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
I own about 20 acres of wooded land but around here that means that I have 20 acres of ravines that extend well below the typical flatland. Where I am, farm land is flat and drainage ravines are allowed to become wooded. I have seen lots of posts about how people retrieve wood from flat areas using portable splitters, trailers, pickups, tractors and even garden tractors. Unfortunately, if I try to use any of those tools I will end up needing to rescue the equipment itself. Is there a good way to handle gathering firewood from dead and down wood that has fallen in those ravines or do I need to hand split it and haul it out in a bag or bundle?

Maybe a gas engine "portable capstan winch" Just google that in quotes and you'll see quite a few, some even use a chainsaw engine.

Yup, winch is almost a necessity unless you have a lot of cable or chain and can get it hooked to your truck up in the field. Another thing you will want is a skidding cone. You can buy or build your own cone using a plastic bucket or barrel.

I 'wood' with an F150 2x, 4spd and 6cyl. Have about 300 total feet of 1/4 and 3/16 cable, 4 snatch blocks. Haven't seen
a tree yet that I couldn't salvage and I have pulled some big Black Locust out of a canyon.

I do have a chainsaw powered winch that ws given to me. I used it once. Found that I could have rigged up and done a faster better job without it.

Harry K

Do you have any pics of a (drainage ravine) Can't quit picture it in my head.

Do you have any pics of a (drainage ravine) Can't quit picture it in my head.
Don't have any pictures but in my case I have flat as a pancake farm ground that drains to a rather large local creek starting on my property. At the access road the drains are not much more than a ditch but by the time they have gone downhill 100 yards the sides are steep and over 20 feet deep. Another 100 yards and it is still steep but pushing 40 feet deep. It is steep enough ground that it is hard to walk out much less use equipment. When I climb out I often use sapling trees to grab onto to help pull myself up the slopes. With all the flat ground around those deep ravines are just allowed to grow wild with trees. In an area about 60 feet below the surrounding fields and 1/4 mile downstream there is an old burr oak that presides over an area of about an acre. The trunk on that tree is damaged but still in decent enough shape to sustain the tree and is about 7 feet DBH. The first side branch on it is 20 feet up and about as big around as a 24 inch DBH tree trunk. When I climb it to my deer stand I just walk on that branch. I cannot imagine a tree getting that big without serious topographic protection. The underbrush for the area is mostly tiny burr oaks trying to survive in the shade of that big boy and all 1 foot DBH or smaller. Two of those steep ravines converge just below that tree and neither one is easily climbed although the ground the tree stands on is relatively flat for at least 100 feet in all directions. It could even be considered a valley bottom but not wide enough to do anything with.

Look in to how arborist rig blocks high in trees without even have to climb them. You'll need a throwline and throwbag. Chose a high strong crotch in a tree so when the wood is lowered it's on good ground for working. Long and stout ropes are needed. Limit loads to 10% or less of the breaking strength of the rope. Have all personnel well out of the area. This should keep your wood a lot cleaner. You may well be able to use the rope to help yourself up out of the ravine in a hand over hand fashion. You'll be fit.

Excuse the 3 minute art work:

Retrival from ravine.png

Good diagram Del_. That is close to the angle I am going to need to work with. On a soil map my slope is a G grade. My local soil person says G stands for goat land. Is there a good way to get a double pulley into a spot like you show for the block? Far too many of my access problems include a lack of access for a pickup to do the pulling. I am patient so a multiplying system where I can use just muscle power would suit me fine but I doubt I could get more than 200 lb in muscle power before my feet would leave the ground.

Gas power rope winch from portable winch best investment. Yes there pricy but worth there weight in gold even on flat ground let alone ravines!!

Good diagram Del_. That is close to the angle I am going to need to work with. On a soil map my slope is a G grade. My local soil person says G stands for goat land. Is there a good way to get a double pulley into a spot like you show for the block? Far too many of my access problems include a lack of access for a pickup to do the pulling. I am patient so a multiplying system where I can use just muscle power would suit me fine but I doubt I could get more than 200 lb in muscle power before my feet would leave the ground.

Tie a block to the load and run the end of the load rope through it and back up the trunk as far as a ladder will get you. That gives you a 2/1 MA.

Retrival from ravine.png

If you have a tractor what about a skidding winch. Costly but ig you have a lot to pull it would do it quickly. You might need to still rig a snatch block up to get some height.

I have no dispute that it might be better to have a winch. unfortunately I, and probly a significant number of others on here, am low budget and use what I've got. been doing it for years. would love to have a remote operated winch as it would definitely save me some time and effort from having to go get my tree unstuck and then go back to my puller.
gonna have to rig up a block and tackle like Del said so as to get the leading edge off the ground, thus fewer stuck logs.
just sayin

I'm with you jerry. I do not have unlimited funds for things like the capstan although I recognize the value they provide. In my past I sailed boats and a capstan definitely does more than just give a pivot point. It can be a very hefty tool. I need to thank Del_ again. I am not used to thinking in terms of how to rig a block and tackle and his solution really gives me food for thought.
For Eagleknight, I do have a small tractor but it cannot reach a good pulling point for all of my land. Sometimes I would need to trespass on a neighbor to use it but sometimes it could definitely be a better option than my little S-10 pickup.

Back