Silvey Grinders may be going out of business.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I never ground that 50" chain because I never used it. It must have been factory. On the 880 I used a 9 pin with a 36" bar. The only time that Cannon was on saws of mine was for a picture.
I am pretty anal about my chains, no beaks or half moons for me.

well that's the only square grind I have ever seen.

Perhaps my terminology was wrong.

I surely didn't mean to insult you.

Have seen a few videos of you cutting trees, it is obvious you know how to sharpen a chain.

I'l go to the corner now

well that's the only square grind I have ever seen.

Perhaps my terminology was wrong.

I surely didn't mean to insult you.

Have seen a few videos of you cutting trees, it is obvious you know how to sharpen a chain.

I'l go to the corner now

Haha, your good bud, no worries.

I have used and owned both Silvey & Simington swingarm grinders. The later model Simingtons (451 b&c) have superior adjustments. I sold the Silvey. Still have two Simington's.

I must say that I prefer the Silvey R2 over my Simington. I Find the accuracy Is better with the R2. I have the very early model Simington swing-arm(450), It doesn't have the adjustment on the arm like the later Simington's 451-A/B/C. Also Mine may have been knocked out of adjustment, as the arm height in relationship to the wheel is higher on one side than the other. I have'nt figured out how to correct this yet. Don't get me wrong, the Simington will put just as keen of an edge. Just prefer the R2 so far.

I must say that I prefer the Silvey R2 over my Simington. I Find the accuracy Is better with the R2. I have the very early model Simington swing-arm(450), It doesn't have the adjustment on the arm like the later Simington's 451-A/B/C. Also Mine may have been knocked out of adjustment, as the arm height in relationship to the wheel is higher on one side than the other. I have'nt figured out how to correct this yet. Don't get me wrong, the Simington will put just as keen of an edge. Just prefer the R2 so far.
shim the motor true.

I bought new swing arm bearings for my Silvey swing arm at Grainger's.

The Silvey swing arms are adjustable for tilt with set screws but you can disarm this feature with a 5/8" Oilite bushing from the hardware store.

Hey just a quick one guys but after looking at a few close up pictures of square grinder wheels it doesn't look like the wheel has to be perfect to produce a good cutting edge (photo below is from the Simington site listed in a previous post). To me the edge looks like a Beaver has been chewing on it...

slider-grinder-wheel-angle-680x125.jpg

Has anybody run the ABN/CBN wheels on the square grinders? I'd think they'd be well worthwhile as they have a tight edge and don't need dressing.

If you notice that little brown tinge on the top surface of the corner? It is an indication of the stone being dull right at that point.

To finish the chain, you need to dress off that brown tinge and make another light pass around the cutter teeth.

Hey just a quick one guys but after looking at a few close up pictures of square grinder wheels it doesn't look like the wheel has to be perfect to produce a good cutting edge (photo below is from the Simington site listed in a previous post). To me the edge looks like a Beaver has been chewing on it...

slider-grinder-wheel-angle-680x125.jpg

Has anybody run the ABN/CBN wheels on the square grinders? I'd think they'd be well worthwhile as they have a tight edge and don't need dressing.
The blue stones last longer

devonhubb,I took a look at the simington web site.Looks like Kelly the guy building the grinder is a one man band.Can you grind the rakers with this grinder?It's to bad Silvey is going out of business,but there is simington still making a USA made grinder.Hope they can hold on.I will place a order with them in a mouth or so.I just like that it made here in America,buy Americans

Braintree, Simington sells an add on gizmo for grinding rakers. It replaces the chain holder. It is pretty slick.

Who Says Christmas is in December?

Maybe it's time to sell my RSII. I haven't used it in a few years now.

(See, I want one now, because of this thread, and I don't even have any square ground chain!)

Because of this thread . . . I took Brad up on his offer and this arrived today!

attachment.php

I will probably have to wait until warmer weather to get it set up and get familiar with it. I want to 'play' with square grinds on smaller (.325, 3/8 low profile) chains. If I find anything interesting, I will start a thread on it.

(P.S. - if anyone is planning on going to the Iowa GTG and passes by Brad's house in Ohio, please let me know - there is still a stand that was too heavy to ship!)

Philbert

Because of this thread . . . I took Brad up on his offer and this arrived today!

attachment.php

I will probably have to wait until warmer weather to get it set up and get familiar with it. I want to 'play' with square grinds on smaller (.325, 3/8 low profile) chains. If I find anything interesting, I will start a thread on it.

(P.S. - if anyone is planning on going to the Iowa GTG and passes by Brad's house in Ohio, please let me know - there is still a stand that was too heavy to ship!)

Philbert
have fun , looks good . on the 3/8 low pro i have tried squareing them up , cuts good but i need to play with the angles a little.

Philbert

I have a friend/colleague that will be driving here from Columbus, OH around the 22nd of this month. I'll attend the Spring Iowa GTG. If Brads isn't too far off from his route I could get him to pick it up.

Silvey grinders

Last time I checked simington was still making swing arms. This was a few months ago. Maybe we need to check and see. If not there will be a shortage of parts very soon.

Too bad I was going to buy one, it is harder and harder to buy quality tools anymore, if you can buy a older tool in good condition it is far better than most the crap they sell now,and will most likely out live whatever you can now buy. Heck you can't hardly buy a water hose nozzle now that works, they are all china crap!

Philbert

Congrats on the R2, Looks like new almost, Brad sure took real good care of it.
I really like .325" square Chisel, it's Great performer.

How you liking the simington so far?

The Simington is a well made grinder. The moter is more robust than the Silvey IMHO.
Mine is a very early model 450. I put a Salmon wheel on it and got some good results.
It does have a mis-alignment as the arm is a different height in relationship to the wheel from one side to
the other (about 1/4-inch). I went to the Simington site posted in this thread, and it goes over shimming the moter true in a video.
I have have yet to have the oportunity to try to fix this yet. I also want to get a hold of the main guy there @ Simington to
see if the arm of the 451-C will bolt up to the 450. This would make the grinder much more precise and versitile.
I may just sell it for what I have into it and keep the R2.

Back