So what did you do today?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
How did this thread slip?

I dropped a limb on my car today, what about you guys? Seriously, I have been wanting limb up my trees since last year. So I poured last years gas in the car and got new 87 oct 100% gas from the corner station. Got my 50:1 mix for the KM-130 and non-mix for the lawn mowers. Unfortunately, I did not have time to get to the mowers today. Started the KM-130, easy like always, and went to work. I first broke down some large limbs that had fallen in the backyard. They broke off in a microburst in the spring but where hung up high in the tree. Went around to the front yard and started limbing up the two huge maples. When it rains, the weight of the water would lower the limbs so low I would hit my head on them. Annoying. I picked some limbs and took a few off. I picked the last of the large low lying limbs, that is over the driveway and made my cuts. And realized about the time the limb released that my car was parked under it. Oops! No damage though. The main branch missed the car and only the supple outer limbs landed on the roof. Also, got the pole saw stuck for the first time. That was interesting. Not to bad because all I had to do was push the limb up but I was afraid of bending the bar if I let go. I did let go but it didn't bend the bar (Yah!) But did put the end of the extension in the dirt, as I had unhooked the power head. Cleaned that up and started pulling limbs to the back yard to burn later. Man, I didn't cut much but sure had a lot of 1-2" limbs to drag off! I ended up with a pile of brush about 8 feet long by 3 feet wide that is taller than I am.

Below freezing, blowing hard and snow flurries today but wanted to cut firewood. With all the rain and warm temps we've had I decided against taking the Deere 4120 compact utility out to fetch wood because even though it's 4wd it doesn't have much ground clearance and the R4 industrials tires are terrible in mud. Fired up the Deere 720 diesel and put my wood carrier on the 3 pt. Grabbed the ported solo 651 and headed out. About half a tank of fuel later the Solo starts to run lean. I adjust the carb and is good for 2 more cuts and leans out again. Uh oh. Head for the house. Check fuel lines and they are okay. Now I can't even get it to run. Grab another saw and go finish cutting. Take the haul back to barn and split and stack.

Later I tear the clutch off the Solo to get at the crank seal. Remove muffler and carb and install blocking plates. Get out my leak tester. Won't hold pressure at all. Don't see any leaking around the seal. Then I check the cylinder bolts. Yep, all loose. Snug them back up and try again. Holding pressure better, but not like it should, and now I see some bubbles around the seal.

Check online. Sears has both seals in stock! Ordered both incase the flywheel side is leaking too. Hopefully it's okay because looks like from the ipl that the cases need to be split to change the flywheel side.

I'm not even sure where I got this saw. I found it laying around last spring and decide to make it run. Found all the pieces and put it together and it ran but clattered like mad. Top ring groove in the piston was all wallowed out. New piston and rings and it was running (much quieter than before), but apparently it's had a weak seal the whole time.

That was my day. My back hurts.

Thanks for awakening this.
I had a great day. Woke up a little hung over(buddy's bday party last night). Went straight to work, only real cure for that ailment. I put a 32 on my 562xp. Went to buck a big madrone that uprooted a week ago. Saw ran great, not sure if it is supposed to have any bar larger than 28 but i have a skip tooth on it, didnt bog at all. Split the madrone that was hung dead for years. That stuff is iron! Burns pretty hot but fast, sittin by the fire now. I look forward to hearing about your days. Tomorrow should be just as productive, happy Sunday

Changed blades on my hand held stump grinder made from an Echo trimmer. Local mower shop gave me a star shaped blade with carbide tips on it and I used it awhile to cut down some of an old stump. I will say it worked a lot better than the Skil saw blades that was on it but it was a must to wear protective clothing and goggles, stuff flew everywhere! No pics but I think everyone knows what a curved shaft weed eater looks like..

Now that it's warmed up, we are back at it cutting firewood,

standard.jpg

and getting it through the splitter,

standard.jpg

standard.jpg

Making nice piles of splits like this,

standard.jpg

SR

Going through a storage unit, trying to figure out which saw carcasses are worth keeping. Was a nice day, frankly... thinking I've probably got one or two fun old Mac projects. Trying to dope out which models these are is a PITA. Also came up with an XL Auto and an Echo 451. Also found a decent Husky 257... compression, pops on a prime.

With the half dozen EZ saws I received I also got a couple of boxes of parts, one of which contained a couple of the "dreaded blue coils". I popped one of them in a saw and it actually worked. Not so lucky with the Snapper mower I bought, it made it about 50 yards or so before it died. It popped and cracked a lot through the exhaust so I expect a burned exhaust valve.

Back