Sure is quiet in here....do I need to start a fight?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Page 2 back to the top !

OdwEKU9FoSUrhy0AsYdbunPm1dQ4m_AOOMW6acAYeWpOgbRsXMrWdmy2pvW-uszeLPLV_OLBFxoTbRaT8jyoBAf6nncGfT-BAfVzWJFi8TPL4_ALbhkyEYwpgZpbA6tIC0bVCFx2Te7B4LwmVvV6RHq1fdFmjzpl_qiD1v21KxBA6AANarbvlsFzHfJoOTpMtx5pIc2kp8JlpqlnikGrSQ8PQ1TBkVJcFcYSSGitYsub-c9XjAZI5b1WbGRG1LCZy6eUpAj-iXxkehKNiasjdcr6TK9WlNJJVqPSWGdxSlWODwuhFgu52sxguNj_bwfzPd7cJDZm9lwcufPWQi5Acc2GQ4tEG4OynomFJggNszvlK--hXu8brQRvwePq9TMbize8e6Vp8hXhGTiz7PiUxsBbOcLQfC9sg-GvQwpJ26tMqPYgp0gacMou92-ix4zblHXo5LJvYj26iJGNWe1QATL39qATkhAKMaxeNoknV8WTBC-C0Xa463siRas9qCuZpE5ktXFl2kCWNoz-AunxU-upWV_MyWb28lBCtSiG_jm2Es4t8snS1LEx1DBMerjmHZh9SO0SnEQMcobS2YyjmMNfJfegu-83QjXqWIFTrHpB8-I0bV8kZ_BtxBD5Sv1Tw-NrTSOwWACnSghZA_ve745Mu0XDvbqKgS5NJfcTUHSIkDE=w1259-h938-no

Having an International morning here in Cow Head. Brewed Koffee from some we brought from Argentina.....cutting up 'tatahz for home fries (call 'em hash browns here) that come from Nova Scotia ... snipping green beans grown in muh back yard....and eggs from Newfoundland!!
My 'puter won't connect to the wi-fi where we are staying:angry:.....Cow Head is nice, miles of sand beach clear up through Shallow Bay......didn't get to go to Corduroy Valley....perhaps on the way back down in a few days. Gros Morne is absolutely stunning...and that is just from driving through...I can only imagine how awesome it must be hiking the back country!!!! :surprised3:
Having a great time so far...weather warm...tee shirt temp until we went for a sunset walk on the beach last night ...dug out a sweater for that but still pleasant.
Cow Head seems like a friendly little spot but things at the pub last night pretty subdued....seems a local woman struck and killed a high school senior walking to school yesterday morning.......things like that really strike a small community like this....I can relate....very sad..

Having an International morning here in Cow Head. Brewed Koffee from some we brought from Argentina.....cutting up 'tatahz for home fries (call 'em hash browns here) that come from Nova Scotia ... snipping green beans grown in muh back yard....and eggs from Newfoundland!!
My 'puter won't connect to the wi-fi where we are staying:angry:.....Cow Head is nice, miles of sand beach clear up through Shallow Bay......didn't get to go to Corduroy Valley....perhaps on the way back down in a few days. Gros Morne is absolutely stunning...and that is just from driving through...I can only imagine how awesome it must be hiking the back country!!!! :surprised3:
Having a great time so far...weather warm...tee shirt temp until we went for a sunset walk on the beach last night ...dug out a sweater for that but still pleasant.
Cow Head seems like a friendly little spot but things at the pub last night pretty subdued....seems a local woman struck and killed a high school senior walking to school yesterday morning.......things like that really strike a small community like this....I can relate....very sad..

Thanks for the update, great views to be had up the Northern Peninsula. Next stop near 51.52 N 55.45 L.

Did L'Anse Meadows yesterday.....very interesting.....I think the most amazing part was our tour guide told us this tale of him being a kid in 1965 during the excavations and one of the guys working there's 16 yr old son came up from Pennsylvania and they gave him a job in the dig......well......he found a stone spindle whorl.......it proved to be the very first item id'd as positively of Viking origin.....proving that the Viking lived here 1000 yrs ago. They found other items after of the same time and origin to corroborate this. The kid's name was Tony Beardsley....hmmm.....later in the talk he brought the name up again and mentioned that Tony had become a lawyer and was practicing in Maine......damn...I know Tony.....actually knew his father much better and never knew any of these facts!!! If you all remember a yr or so ago I built a long toboggan for a guy...???.... Not Tony but my friend Bob who is one of Tony's partners in the firm.......Tony's father owed a big bit of acreage out behind my sawmill and used to walk out there almost daily....always stopped to watch the boards be discovered....I always shut the saw down and we'd sit on the log pile and chat for a while if the weather was good.....hell'of a nice guy...Clayton (tour guy) and I decided it was indeed a small world!!! Even better.....as he was leaving he stopped, turned around and came back saying he had a sawmill too......I asked rotary or band??...."neither" he said.......chainsaw mill...guess what kind???? Jonsered of course....2095 with the factory supplied track and carriage system......just like my friend Vern has and I overhauled his saw....damn can't make this **** up.....even though I have a history of elaborating!!!!

I seem to have really good, fast interwebs where I'm staying just now but can't get the pics to post full size or even thumbnails....tried several times last night with no success.......so I guess if you want to see them you'll have to click, then expand them up to 125% on your 'puter.:angry:

Went to what they call "The Tablelands" area in Gros Morne National Park yesterday afternoon......awesome....so much like being out in Arizona or Colorado.....except one side of the valley looked that way.....nothing growing, just a moonscape of yellow/red rock but the other side of the valley was gray granite/shale and covered with evergreens.

Attachments

• Newfoundland 770.JPG
    5.2 MB · Views: 13
  • Newfoundland 781.JPG
    5.8 MB · Views: 11
  • Newfoundland 780.JPG
    5.9 MB · Views: 13
  • Newfoundland 777.JPG
    6.6 MB · Views: 12
  • Newfoundland 775.JPG
    5.9 MB · Views: 10
  • Newfoundland 774.JPG
    6 MB · Views: 9
Thanks for the great picts Robi, brings back memories from the 70`s.
LOL....most of what I took pics of probably hasn't changed much in thousands of years!!!! Outstanding place.....much more to see and two weeks left to see it!!!

That`s right, nature is slow to make changes in solid rock but humans change the landscape almost at will now a days . Had a brand newy GMC Sierra Grande last time I was there, had less than a thousand KM on it when I hit the island, put close to two thousand on it while there.

That`s right, nature is slow to make changes in solid rock but humans change the landscape almost at will now a days . Had a brand newy GMC Sierra Grande last time I was there, had less than a thousand KM on it when I hit the island, put close to two thousand on it while there.

Easy enough to do....got 1400 miles on the rental MO-RON-O so far...long ways to go yet....'spect I'll have close to 4000 miles on by the time we get back....spent the night in Deer Lake headed for Twillingate today.....gonna spend two days/nights there.

Yep Humans are an aggressive lot......here's a couple pics of a Newfyland gravel pit!!! Solid ledge pounded into almost dirt......

Attachments

• Newfoundland 731.JPG
    6 MB · Views: 10
  • Newfoundland 732.JPG
    6 MB · Views: 11
One thing I have noticed traveling up on the northern peninsular is that way, way out in the middle of nowhere in random places, many miles from the last road or house that you've seen, there will be a small fenced in vegetable garden between where the roadbed ends and the woods begin.....tended...'taters and such.....saw perhaps a hundred or more of the little gardens in the last couple days travels. Road surface tends to be 4-6 feet higher than the surrounding land.....the narrow strip that got bulldozed flat between the roadbed and the woods is the only place with any topsoil.....folks take advantage... Firewood the same way.....hauled out on the snow I 'spect as there is generally a sled around.....piles of fit and split spruce....everywhere...miles from anywhere...I guess no one bothers some one else's stuff up here like they might further south...

One thing I have noticed traveling up on the northern peninsular is that way, way out in the middle of nowhere in random places, many miles from the last road or house that you've seen, there will be a small fenced in vegetable garden between where the roadbed ends and the woods begin.....tended...'taters and such.....saw perhaps a hundred or more of the little gardens in the last couple days travels. Road surface tends to be 4-6 feet higher than the surrounding land.....the narrow strip that got bulldozed flat between the roadbed and the woods is the only place with any topsoil.....folks take advantage... Firewood the same way.....hauled out on the snow I 'spect as there is generally a sled around.....piles of fit and split spruce....everywhere...miles from anywhere...I guess no one bothers some one else's stuff up here like they might further south...

Used to be that there was respect for other peoples property whether it was actually owned by or just worked for by a person, stealing was not stood for, blanket part or the barrel of a gun would be the result so most toed the line rather closely.

Latest posts

Back