Sure is quiet in here....do I need to start a fight?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yeah I thought keeping the finger in order might be best. We are dealing with far eastern technology here....

A while back I was looking into a 3-1 machine but stopped in Penn on the way back from Johns and touched them.......and thought better of it. Everything is always a compromise when you are trying to do much...but a small one might be good for some things...

I have no problem with used equipment.......but I have to have a lot of experience with what ever it is.....and I don't have that experience with metal working like I do with woodworking tools so unless I could find a used brake that I could try don't really know enough to not buy something that later I find is toast. Saving grace is there are few moving parts and most are very heavy!!

I have a sheet metal Buddy. Lol. I’m scared too.

Large machines are crazy.
I was at Seneca Army Depot......during The Cold War.
Built to build anything. You drove past rows of stockpiled machines. Thousands of machine tools.
The fab shop machines were HUGE. I wish I could have known what I know now. I’d have know what I was looking at.
The Halifax shipyards has some really big gear for shipbuilding, not likely the biggest gear in the world but mighty capable pieces in the plate shop.

The Halifax shipyards has some really big gear for shipbuilding, not likely the biggest gear in the world but mighty capable pieces in the plate shop.
Oh ship building goes WAY beyond Seneca. Lol
I saw one of IR air drills on TV. They had set the elevator for fighters on an Aircraft Carrier. Then drilled the bolt holes.
IR Heavy Duty Drill. 3” in steel.....

then there is the EXTRA Heavy Duty drill......3 1/2” ......190 CFM at 120 psi needed. Maybe it was only 95 CFM.......

Large machines are crazy.
I was at Seneca Army Depot......during The Cold War.
Built to build anything. You drove past rows of stockpiled machines. Thousands of machine tools.
The fab shop machines were HUGE. I wish I could have known what I know now. I’d have know what I was looking at.

Oh ****......there is wild stuff out there. Back when I worked out in Detroit on the 1000 footers....we were layed up at the Nickelson Steel Docks......I had to go over to the machine shop to get a part that was fabricated for our vessel........I walked into the machine shot which looked identical to any machine shop you've seen.......all the normal stuff.....lathes, mills presses etc......BUT ....it was as if I had been shrunk.......the lathe I was standing in front of had a 20 foot swing and a 60 foot carriage ........what looked like a Bridgeport was two stories tall.....with ladders to get to where the operators climbed to.....big iron to work big iron!!!

Oh ****......there is wild stuff out there. Back when I worked out in Detroit on the 1000 footers....we were layed up at the Nickelson Steel Docks......I had to go over to the machine shop to get a part that was fabricated for our vessel........I walked into the machine shot which looked identical to any machine shop you've seen.......all the normal stuff.....lathes, mills presses etc......BUT ....it was as if I had been shrunk.......the lathe I was standing in front of had a 20 foot swing and a 60 foot carriage ........what looked like a Bridgeport was two stories tall.....with ladders to get to where the operators climbed to.....big iron to work big iron!!!
On big lathes. A cab to ride in. Not only because of hot chips but LONG RUN TIMES. You could look at the tool easily.

Saw one radial arm drill with a 38” column......pull a 5” drill.

Picked up this lil' ditty today.....brand new regulator, gauges and new three way plenum with new connectors.......not tremendous hours and oil changed yearly with synthetic compressor oil....runs great....paid $75.00.....have one identical....made in Italy...Hitachi brand...my pressure switch is spent ......new switch is $80.00 plus shipping so it worked for me. Will likely stihl buy a new switch for mine as it is in great shape too....but couldn't let this get by.....

IMG_0649.jpg

Hmmmm Just checked again at ereplacement.......$81.13 plus shipping now......did find one at MMToolparts for $67.61 plus shipping...

These are OEM Hitachi so they bolt right up and are better suited to handle the vibration.....could use a cheaper generic unit but then would have to replumb the whole setup so if my time is worth anything and the cost of copper tubing and fittings involved no real savings......OEM units also have an on/off switch in them.....generic not likely.....

Portable compressors are sort of like tires on a truck, when wore out just replace em, wear n tear items them. I bought one cheapie one day in a pinch, the job it did that day paid for it but it is still going 12 years later, have been given 3 more just like it for parts, made a good runner from the three parts machines and still have two for spare parts. Not bad for $99. outlay for the first new one that came with a box of air tools, just Cambell Hausfield junk but works every day I do. Paid over a grand for my Rolair. but now never use it.

Yeah these Hitachis were in the $300.00 range when new so this one for $75.00 in perfect running condition with new reg, gauges and three way plenum with new brass quik-connects and fresh oil change was an alright deal. In the pic you can just see the end of an old Campbell Hausfield oil-less I bought in 1989 for $179.00.....was jeered at and told those oil-less one won't last the season.......well here it is 2020 and within the last 6 months it has started a rod bearing I think as it's loud and vibrates so badly I have put something heavy in front of it or will walk away and unplug itself.......LOL!!! But it has done a pile of work......sometimes HARD work and it still recharges quick and always works fine......it sits by the door to blow up tires or blow off saws etc. One nice thing about the oil-less ones is they start in the cold......just about every oil filled one I've used really didn't like it when the temp drops.

Back