Tell me about summer wood cutting.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

aandabooks

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
I have plans to cut wood this summer. This will be out of the ordinary for me. I have always been a winter cutter and put the saws up for the summer. With the exception of the odd tree here and there.

I changed jobs last year and am now a teacher. Starting this Wednesday, I don't have a regular job until Aug. 10. This will be the first time that I haven't worked a regular job for this long since I was about 11 years old and my parents owned a business. (35 now)

So, those of you experienced in summer wood cutting, what should I plan on for issues to deal with that don't come up in the winter? Give me some of your best tips, maybe I won't have to learn everything the hard way.

I'm thinking early mornings before the heat gets up. Don't know if I can cut in shorts and be comfortable. Bugs, snakes and other things living in trees have to be a concern.

The biggest difference I can think of is you need to make sure you stay hydrated and take more freqent breaks. Heat stress/stroke can be dangerous, know your limitations. Use good insect repellent, keep the ticks and chiggers off.

POISON IVY!!!!!!
i keep a bottle of poison ivy wash in the back of my truck and scrub from elbows down at the end of the day before i get in my truck

I would much rather cut wood in the summer, take a can off deep woods off and bath in it. You will sweat it off but keep applying it from time to time. I sweat really bad though. Also drink plenty of fluids. I will take water and gatorade. Especially if i'm going to cut all day. if you sweat hard drink the gatorade from time to time or you will cramp up later that night. Also if you're allergic to poison ivey, Be sure to take precautions there and if you get in it, Take a shower and let the soap stay on you a little before rinsing it off.

Do not cut in shorts, You will get more scrapes and cuts that way. Also it's dangerous to cut with shorts on unless you wear chaps. Always take the chaps off when through with the saw. Thay are hot and will make you sweat more. They also feel cool after you take them off cause you are wet under them.

Cutting in the summer is better for me cause i hate wearing a bunch of clothes and work. Hard to move around with coveralls on. Take care and be careful, it's not that bad. Just be sure to keep fluids going and drink the gatorade too.

I'm thinking early mornings before the heat gets up. Don't know if I can cut in shorts and be comfortable. Bugs, snakes and other things living in trees have to be a concern.

looks like you've got most of it down already. Wear a good sweatband and just expect to be filthy dirty and soaking wet with sweat. That's what IL is all about! :biggrinbounce2: Watch out for poison ivy, and beware that the heat will tire you out faster, making you more susceptible to accidents. Bring a buddy or two.

Felling and skidding during the hottest days, bucking and splitting on the cooler ones....

if its 100* and 100% humidity....DONT BOTHER....it wont be worth it....

drink lots of water....

Avoid soda and beer....

Listen to your body....if your body is saying boy I could use a drink, go get that drink...

Everything mentioned above and I usually carry my .22 revolver loaded with birdshot for the sneaky copperhead I tend to find in the most surprising and inconvenient place to escape from.

I also tend to not keep my truck too far away so my water jug isn't far either. And keep the chaps on while cutting no matter how hot, last year I almost took em off for a 5 minute job and luckily I didn't. I still cringe thinking about that day; down a steep hill 50 yards from the 4 wheeler, a mile drive on it to the farm house, through 3 shut gates and no cell service in the area. That would have been difficult with a big slice right above my left knee , 95 degrees out and panic on top of it.

Everything mentioned above and I usually carry my .22 revolver loaded with birdshot for the sneaky copperhead I tend to find in the most surprising and inconvenient place to escape from.
I also tend to not keep my truck too far away so my water jug isn't far either. And keep the chaps on while cutting no matter how hot, last year I almost took em off for a 5 minute job and luckily I didn't. I still cringe thinking about that day; down a steep hill 50 yards from the 4 wheeler, a mile drive on it to the farm house, through 3 shut gates and no cell service in the area. That would have been difficult with a big slice right above my left knee , 95 degrees out and panic on top of it.
Yup, I agree. I always carry some type of gun with me.

POISON IVY!!!!!!
i keep a bottle of poison ivy wash in the back of my truck and scrub from elbows down at the end of the day before i get in my truck

+googleplex

Poison ivy is the difference beside which all other differences are insignificant. Bugs, snakes, you can do something proactive about all of those, but by the time you realize you've got PI it's too late. :censored::censored::censored:

I hates me some poison ivy.

Jack

It has pretty well been covered. I leave early and quit when it gets hot. My kit includes several sweat bands and I usually wind up with 2 drying while I am soaking a third. Carry a towel or two to wipe face/head. Gatorade is good but I don't carry it with me. I will down a jug or two along with a salt tablet when I get to the house.

Water jug of course and a couple bottles of water out of the deep freeze. Those are for the drive home. Pure ambrosia but it is not all that smart to be drinking ice water when you are overheated.

Where at all possible I try to keep the work in the shade.

One of my worst 'hot work' things was home on leave from the service and the old man had a job roofing a garage. I gave him a hand and was dying for a cold brew. Came down off that hot roof, chugged one and hit the ground.

Harry K

when tired

stop cutting you make bad mistakes when you push too hard i did it the other night almost mashed my hand real good spitting a maple crotch that was cut crooked on both ends it shifted and i pinched a piece off my palm and mashed hand pretty good

i got lucky

I did notice last year when cutting on real hot afternoons (90 or better), that my 361 did not like to idle once it warmed up. Would start, run, and cut fine but if you set it down for a minute it would die. I asked a tree service friend of mine and he said that sounded normal. Make sure if your saw has a summer / winter setting to it that it is set for summer.

Sorry to differ, but I don't cut in the summer, mainly cuz I'm allergic to bees. Wood isn't worth dying for.

Me too, last time I got hit three times and almost didn't get to the phone for help. I am just about out of time for cutting for this year, as you said, not worth dying for. My Wife mows the lawn and I do the laundry and dishes when the bees are out.

Another important thing not mentioned, SUN SCREEN. At the very least light tan/light colored clothing. This will help with heat stroke and obviously sunburns. Work in the shade if at all possible. Skin cancer is no joke.

Latest posts

Back