The Genius of Stihl, an Amazing Story

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Tommie,

Ya know,

They manufacture Elvis CDs in China.

They manufacture Brylcream in China.

They roast and grind Folgers in China.

Gotcha,

Joat

Joat shames on ya, times are hard now days and you just used half a page to say a few words, shames on ya,hehe

I know China makes just about everything sold in the USA but that don't mean I'm gonna sell it for em. I will if I have no other choice but long as I got an option what goes outta here hopefully won't say Made in China. Dealing with Zama is bad enuff. Maybe I'll send those folks overthere a note, Build It And They Will Come, Come Right Rack,LOL

I admit its probly a losing battle but I tant gonna to be happy about it, thats for sure,:cheers: :cheers: :cheers:

RUMPELSTIHLSKIN......so LB comes back after months off this thread and what ?:monkey: :monkey: :monkey:

That is true, but they sold saws in Canada before 1967, I believe - the Tiger.

My book says the 1960 Jo-Bu D94 Tiger at 23lbs[10.5 kg] with 18" b/c included , 93cc,4.8 hp and all position Tillotson carb.Then the more powerfull 1964 Tiger S at 5.5 hp.
Yes you are correct about the Canadian connection before 1967. I did some tree removal for a local retired Norwegian doctor last summer, and he told me a story about when he first moved to Canada in the early 1960's he landed in Montreal and spent some time there in medical school.One day he came upon some Italians who were trying to cut down a tree in front of their restaurant. They had a Jo-Bu Tiger. He could see they couldn't get it started and they had no idea how to use it, he joked to them that Italy has no trees and Italians shouldn't be running chainsaws. He offered to cut the tree down for them seeing he had experience running them in Norway on his fathers farm. The tree came down with no problems and for payment the Italians gave him the saw! Business was good again for the restaurant with the tree gone and their sign was in full view.
I wasn't sure if the doctor was telling the truth or not, until he brought the Jo-Bu Tiger outside from his garage,still like brand new with a Jo-Bu authorized Montreal dealer sticker on the top cover.:)

Last edited:
Just going back to post #403. Someone forgot to check out Mike Acres site on Norway's 1948 Jo-Bu Senior as the first one man saw into production. At 38 lbs,125cc. 7,300 were sold. No not the 1950 Stihl BL as 1st, 1952 Dolmar CP as 2nd or the Jonsered in 1955 as 3rd[Nowegian Comet built the semi diesel in 1949 then sold to Jonsered in 1954/55]. It looks to me the 1950 Stihl BL was copied from the Jo-Bu Senior!! Check out Acres specs [125cc, 35-38 lbs]
Norway's Jo-Bu built and sold the first one man saw,1948. Also check out on Acres site on the Jo-Bu Junior sold in 1952. At 23 lbs., 76 cc and 40,000 of those were sold.
attachment.php

Hello Tom. I thought I'd get a response to this. There are good pictures on Mike Acres site on the Jo-Bu Junior and Senior. I have the book I bought from Baileys "Chainsaws A History". A Canadian David Lee wrote it with help from Mike Acres. The Norwegian Comet company was interesting, thats where Swedish Jonsered got their start building saws after they bought out Comet. The 1949 Comet diesel was only 19 lbs , it ran in any position and after being dunked in a barrel of water it could still be started , something the gas powered electric ignition saw couldn't do.

This also fits very well with other info I have - Good job again! :yourock: :cheers: :cheers:

Tommie,

What ever happend to the Florida Fruit Of Tommie's Loins? NewGuy

Joat

Well not really sure. I tried to stir the boy in the right direction and he up and took off. I figure he's in prison somewhere in the country. Probably Bubba's boy now, I say oh well,haha

Back