The new saw bug has bitten, and I'm about to scratch it

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Overkill338

M-Tronicly Obsessed
Reaction score
My father-in-law has to go get some new chains, so he's convinced me to go look at saws at the Stihl dealer. The Pro saw urge has gotten me pretty bad, I've been watching YouTube reviews. I'm going to look at a MS241 and MS261. While I'm there, I'm also going to give the MS250 and MS271 a look.

I know a 250 will be a lot stronger than my 180 and probably fit my needs perfectly, but the 241 seems to have a better filtration system, and the M-Tronic looks very nice. Along with a more durable metal case.

I'm open to suggestions from you guys with way more experience than myself. I use it for felling some trees, but mostly limbing and cutting up firewood. Whatever I go with, I will be running a 16" bar on it. This saw will be with me until it wears out, so resale value is of no concern. I know getting used to a heavier saw takes a little time.

$349 - MS250
$519 - MS241
$559 - MS261
$379 - MS271

241 or 261 should both be nice with a 16” setup. See how they feel in hand. The price differential is negligible. The 261will give more power in exchange for more weight and bulk.

The 250 is a good price point saw, but not exciting, so if you can swing the 241 or 261, you might as well. The 271 really did not impress me when I ran it. It is the kind of saw you would buy for your brother, cousin, or father who really does not care about saws but who you want to set up with a fairly decent saw without spending to much.

Well, if it has to be a Stihl, for regular wood cuting, the 261 will cut a lot of wood. I just cut for myself and anything down that needs to go so the 251 would be my choice if I could just pick from the Stihl you have listed.

I don't cut any firewood for myself. I cut firewood for others, firewood to sell, clean up downed trees, and drop trees that people want rid of (cleaning lots, reclaiming yards etc).

The reason I wrote off the 251,is because it weighs more than the 250,with the same power. Someone want to fill me in on why the 251 is an "improved" 250?

Your pro saws are gonna be your best bet if you can afford one, I bought a Ms 271 brand new, I like it a lot for firewood. If it were only 30$ difference between the 250 and the 271, I personally would buy the 271 any day over the 250. My opinion only.

I wanted something to fill the gap between the 180 & 360. But my thinking is, the 241 will replace the 180 and fill the gap up to the 360.

Since I got that 360 running, I'm loving that Pro saw more and more every day.

I don't see the point in owning a 50cc and a 60cc saw, get the 241 if you'll be using it a lot. If you'll be using the 360 more than the smaller saw, save yourself some dough and get the 250/251. What size bar on the 360?

I don't see the point in owning a 50cc and a 60cc saw, get the 241 if you'll be using it a lot. If you'll be using the 360 more than the smaller saw, save yourself some dough and get the 250/251. What size bar on the 360?
In reality very true.

However.....once he gets going he’ll get an 044 maybe. Then with the 261 he would take the 036 or the 261 and 044

You are right. It wouldn’t be 261 and 036, or 036 and 044. Too close. If you take two saws they aren’t usually close in displacement.

If he takes two saws the 036 will get no love.

The 360 has a 20" bar. Logical thinking makes me want to get a 16" bar for the 360, and do everything with it. But how do you shake off the urge to get a shiney new saw?

I do love the sound of the 360. It just sounds mean.

The 360 has a 20" bar. Logical thinking makes me want to get a 16" bar for the 360, and do everything with it. But how do you shake off the urge to get a shiney new saw?

HA, I try to think logical, but then we are talking about chainsaws for fun here. My vote would be the 241 or 250 with a 16" bar then. Unless it's a version II then there's not a huge weight difference between the 360 and the 261. The money saved with a 250 over a 241 can buy a lot of chains or another bar/chain combo, and a sharp chain is usually the most important part of it all.

HA, I try to think logical, but then we are talking about chainsaws for fun here. My vote would be the 241 or 250 with a 16" bar then. Unless it's a version II then there's not a huge weight difference between the 360 and the 261. The money saved with a 250 over a 241 can buy a lot of chains or another bar/chain combo, and a sharp chain is usually the most important part of it all.

Oh you are getting all logical

A grinder could be purchased if he went that route. Out shines most accessories

It’s hard to remember only a few saws and not having a choice in each size.

I just watched a video by bsnelling using a MS261 to fell and buck Locust trees. Impressive would be selling it short by miles. That saw is a beast of a machine!

The 261 is 2-3 pounds lighter than the 360, is that worth $550.00.

Go to the dealer and by a 461 or an 880.

I can't tell if that's completely sarcastic or not lol I have nooooo need for an 880, but if I had one, don't think I wouldn't put a 16" bar on it and try to make it lol

I think the point you were making is I don't need another saw with what I already have.

I can't tell if that's completely sarcastic or not lol I have nooooo need for an 880, but if I had one, don't think I wouldn't put a 16" bar on it and try to make it lol

I think the point you were making is I don't need another saw with what I already have.

I would just put a 16” bar and chain on the 360, it is a nice setup.

Plus, everybody needs an 880. Makes the 360 seem really light weight.

Back