What do you keep your bar oil in??

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You have a pre-EPA gas can and you're not using it for gas?
LOL
I don't have any "post-EPA" gas cans... at least, not any that I ain't converted to "pre-EPA" gas cans :D
Start with these...
http://ezpourspout.com/ez-pour-products/parts/push-in-vent/
You can get them from Amazon, Ebay, and other online sources... I bought a dozen some time back.
Drill a ½ inch hole and pop them in.... done... your can is vented.
Finding and replacing the pour spout (if needed) is a bit harder... but with a little measuring of the required size/threads...
http://ezpourspout.com/
And BAM, no more "post-EPA" gas cans :laughing:

I picked up a "No Spill" (that's the name on the can) 1.25 gal can at my Stihl dealer last week. Has a push button to dispense. It WORKS, self venting so you don't need a vent on the can, actually stops instantly when you let go the button, and puts out a FULL FLOW instead of a dribble. Bit spendy ($17.95) but worth it for no more hassles. Dunno how it would be on a 5 gal but on 1, it is a one handed operation. Only problem I see is that it will pour too fast and you overflow a saw tank easily.

I use the gallon jugs I get oil in. If you only tear part of the seal under the cap you can pour neatly out of the jug, if you only poke a small hole it works better. Pouring from the side of the jug works better too, at least for me.

I picked up a "No Spill" (that's the name on the can) 1.25 gal can at my Stihl dealer last week. Has a push button to dispense. It WORKS, self venting so you don't need a vent on the can, actually stops instantly when you let go the button, and puts out a FULL FLOW instead of a dribble. Bit spendy ($17.95) but worth it for no more hassles. Dunno how it would be on a 5 gal but on 1, it is a one handed operation. Only problem I see is that it will pour too fast and you overflow a saw tank easily.
And if you stick the spout far enough into the tank the flow shuts itself off once the ability to suck air in ceases. I've been using the same no spill can for going on 10 years I think. Just bought another in the 2.5 gallon flavor.

sent from a field

I like this, perhaps even more than my idea. I use 26-oz. maple syrup bottles and fill them from the 1-gal container. The syrup bottles pour beautifully and I seldom waste a drop. Usually I carry two to the work site and cannot remember when I ever ran short. When the caps wear out, I recycle and replace them. Caps usually last me about 9 months.
Used syrup bottles for years. Dish detergent bottle looks good. Not sure about tide jugs. I like to see oil, keeps from over filling

Sent from my SM-N900P using Tapatalk

Am I the only one with one of these? Had it for close to 40 years now.
I replaced the gas spout with a twist on/off spout. I don't bother with the spout for oil. Just pour out the side of the hole. And usually pour too much every time.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1479949106.074658.jpg

I can easily get by on a quart bottle of oil for a day. Between falling, limbing, marking, cutting and loading. I probably use 2-3 tanks to fill the truck, think pic is in avatar. Filling it by myself is enough for a day,especially this time of year. I usually only use 1 saw, second is a backup.
How much oil do you use per tank of gas?

I keep it in the jug it comes in. IMO it's a waste of time to be transferring it to smaller bottles. How much oil does a saws tank hold anyways, 3/4 of a quart? A full days worth of work I could burn about 5 tanks of gas/oil depending what I'm cutting. If I was carrying a 2 quart bottle it wouldn't last the whole day. Might as well just take the jug.
^^^^^This.

I always had one hard & fast rule, add the oil before the fuel. Recently a 2nd hard and fast rule has been added. Oil in the oil reservoir, fuel in the fuel tank ;)
Yeah, did that once on fire department vent saw. Oil into fuel taak. Good it was just morning truck checks. Better that I got it rinsed out before anyone found out! Things like that hard to live down[emoji4]

Sent from my SM-N900P using Tapatalk

30-929-large.jpg

These oil containers have a built in pull out spout and when you unscrew the top it's a fair size hole for pouring in lube from another container .

Latest posts

Back