What makes a GOOD groundman?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
i like my crew to be multi-skilled i dont want staff who can only climb ..or be a groundsman ..multi-skilled is the way for my firm ..i like all my guys to be able to climb..feed the chipper ..drive..etc..im not saying one isnt better at one job than the other of course ..each has his own talent ... me and my crew take it in turns one day i'll climb ..or feed the chipper..my top climber can manage the biggest of dismantles ...but im way better than him at prunning..

Originally posted by JohnVander
What would you guys pay for a good ground man?

John

Some people seem to think minimum wage, which in Ontario is $8 per hour. And they wonder why people do not stick around; this one business in Niagara advertises over and over in the Govt Job Bank at that rate.

$12 and up would seem to be fair, and do not expect much in the way of pruning or climbing at the lower end of that scale.

I would quit my job and become a groundman for $175-200/day!

175-200 is very reasonable for a good sub groundie. I pay 125 for a $7 hour labor ready guy. That jumps to 140 paying 8, if they touch a chainsaw. I'm sure a self insured azz kickin groundie could keep busy around here for $200 a day.

any word on final copy or is that it mb,new guy going ok would be good to print and give,must admit he lost my huski fuel can only good thing they make too,lol

The attachment in my last post is it so far. I'm having it looked over for punctuation and crap, and that should be it.

I'm still open for any other suggestions!:cool:

I know keeping hands and feet out of the chipper is covered in safety training but it seems you can tell someone this a thousand times and they'll still do it. I've seen some guys feed a ten inch stub BY HAND into the feed wheels. Another one is the pile of twigs that gets a TWO HANDED feed when there is a rake right there.

Not everything needs to go through the chipper. If its too small throw it in the back of the truck. It's not necessary to try and chip leaves, needles and cones. If somebody wants chips then I figure they get what they get. If I was worried about the quality of chips then I wouldn't be pi$$ing in the back of the truck 4 times a day.

1 off my multi-skilled operatives failed to show up today and with my other guy on holliday i wasnt very happy ..i hate the old he's so ill phone call from the girl friend, so today we go hungry..but seriously i hate unreliable people yesterday he was ok today he's on his death bed..funny how yesterday i told him to be prepared for a long day:angry:

I can't believe people actually try and pull off the girlfriend call-in. My interpretation of this is,

"I'm calling in for my boyfriend who is hungover/still drunk. In his booze addled mind he thinks that this is the best course of action. Also, he is too cowardly to talk to you himself. When the drink wears off he'll feel like a complete jacka$$ but as for now his only concern is pawing at me like a drunken dog in heat."

If this is a common occurrence then act accordingly. If it happens once in a blue moon then he probably realizes this and knows that he will get teased but not canned. Either way let him have it.:D

Either way let him have it.:D [/B]

The day off or give him sh*t?:D

Having dealt with workers in this condition before, I always admired those that had the balls to tell me in person why they were not there. OK fine, do not make a habit of this, and we can work around your absence. Those that get their partner to phone in or hide all day with a massive headache, or get co workers, especially subordinates, to cover for them are wimps.

This is where the amount of the xmas bonus is established, or if they get any bonus at all. :angry:

I forgive you for going off topic, Carl. ;)

Latest posts

Back