What makes a GOOD groundman?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
i call guys who are there to drag brush TROGANS not in a derogitory way.we all need them,i got a new one starting tommorow he has a little saw experience but i know he will go all day and not winge n moan,mb i think that should seriously make the list,dont complain!

I'm not real sure if I can do that, its too long for one post. I can edit the first part into it, but not the 2nd.

(edit note... I went back and deleted the first posting to lessen confusion)

Anybody have anything to add to this yet?

Last edited:
Holding my ground, ... (groundie), na!

Originally posted by jkrueger
Tree & climber support person. Oh well, yes, my lady sometimes is that on the job.

So, TCSP, or TCS personel.

The word goundie to me is like calling some one a 'dirt bag', ..., let's make them a part of the human race if we want them to do it the best.

Jack

I'm having T-shirts and buttons made for the campain which will have everyone, including RockyJ :D have to useTCS Personel or TCSP.

On the serious side,:cool: , the great job definition doc makes the work one of a true profession. And we do want the best, and inspired ones, so, let's elevate them and not call them those old dirt bag names unless they don't want to get it. Ya!

I've my foundery suit on, go ahead and flame.

:angel: Jack :angel:

Var so gut!

To the raking portion I would add, or start with "choose a single draf path, dont drag across the whole lawn and around both sides of the house so we have to spend rake every square yard of grass.

That should get you close to the 10,000 charicter limit Butchie!

Cut and paste it inot Word and you can edit it down much easier.

Originally posted by John Paul Sanborn

That should get you close to the 10,000 charicter limit Butchie!

I really don't care how many words are in it as long as the words that do stay in it are the right ones. If I have to, I'll split it up again.

I put your thoughts into 32

Anyone else???:alien:

When chipping, know when to go grab a couple of rakes to start cleaning up the area..
There is as much art as science involved in efficient clean up...
I keep several hand held blowers, one back pack blower, one power broom, several plastic rakes, and several diffenrent sizes of tarps in the van... explaining which tool is best used when is more than I would attempt to put into words here... suffice it to say that doing an immaculate clean up speaks volumes about the pride and professionalism of your service and crew.... And having the good tools in place to do the job efficiently is great for moral..

Organizing and keeping the truck clean and making sure there is enough mix, bar oil, cabling gear etc..

and knowing how to instal a dead end on a cable and send that up...

limbing up brush in proper sizes for efficient chipping, no leaving stubs to jam the chipper or requiring a second cut.

knowing how to let a pice run away from climber and minimze shock loading must have been coverred already.

being able to stop and hold traffic.

Hey Butch..
Somehow I think the folks at TCI mag might have a hard time with publishing the part about taking a BM before work... this list might not quite be ready for prime time and don't count on retiring any time soon..

Why rename groundman? I am a tree climber ......not a tree person!

But really, what works for me and the guys that I work with is a common knowledge of both jobs. Climbers that do groundwork and groundmen who climb. This gives a mutual respect for each position.

We all get along at the jobsite and away from the jobsite. This goes along way to making a hard job go a little easier!

If TCI don't like it, frick em

This is for MY benefit, and anyone else who chooses to use it. One months glory in an issue of a magazine is of minimal importance to me. It would be cool, but I won't keel over if they don't like it.

If you can tell me that you've never lost manhours due to the need for some person that just ate their honey bun breakfast(at the 8:00 store stop) to have to 'visit the little boys room', or even worse after you get to the jobsite... I would have a hard time believing you.

Most of your suggestions are already in the list, and some of them are to going into too much detail.

Its all good.:)

But I think that is going into TOO much detail, like Murphy was doing.
Remember, this is a handout you give to a newbie... you don't wanna scare the $hit outta em!
Look how long it is already!

At the care of trees, they made you take the orientation after the first few weeks there. seemed like a good idea----let you have a better idea of what they were talking about in the orientation.

I woulda been lost in the orientation on my first day!

Maybe the best would be 2 orientations.

love
nick

... if you are going to go poop in the back of the chip truck, find out if the customer wants the chips first

Back