What makes a GOOD groundman?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Kenny had a good thread on that a while back.

He has an Emergency Responce card kept with the work orders (laminated to a clipboard?) with procedure for 911 calls and pertinant contact info.

1. check address
2. call 911
3. identify yoursdelf
4. give situation eg injured climber in tree
5. give address, contact phone numbers incase of disconnect.

Originally posted by Climbing mike
Most of the time I have found that the climber does most of the driving (which is me) The other guys dont pay attention to where we are going or even what part of town we are in. If I was to get hurt and they called 911 from our cell phones it would probably take a while to find out where I am. Pay attention to where the job is, dont try to sleep in the truck on the way to the job.

Oh yea. I like a second set of eyes while driving for checking blind spots or checking road signs. It makes for a more efficient drive through rush hour in a loaded chip truck.

I believe it is an OSHA reg that the crew knows the work address and where the nearest ER is.

Probably part of #8, but know how to unclog a chipper.

If someone asks for a bid, be courteous, give them a card, and take down contact information. Job security:D

Is job security an oxymoron?:p

Nothin left to do but smile, smile smile.

Smile? Drop what you're doing, given that you're not in the middle of something hairy, and approach the potential client, smiling, well outside of the DZ. That can be worked into the list under 'courteous and attentive to customers', and is in conjunction with OR's suggestion just above.

This is about the first thing I ask of a newbie, because a new potential client walking up is likely to happen sooner than the first limb coming down. Then I show him how to get me out of a tree (rescue) from the ground if something were to go wrong upstairs. Then we start work. More instruction comes per context-dependent moment.

Pretty lame as far as a training and safety program, but I've only just begun hiring guys of late, and I'm eagerly learning and want to do it right. I appreciate you spiking my learning curve.

Thank you for the list. It will be implemented day one of my next employee hire (and I'm hiring......) -TM-

List is starting to good MB have a lot of stuff on there that I take for granted after 20+ years but I guess it would be good to hand out to someone as a refresher. Sad that you can't REQUIRE a groundman to have common sense and bring it to the job because that would make the list much shorter. I see mention of stowing away the gear but think everyone on the ground should also know where all the gear is before the job starts. Especially you guys that contract climb and might have a different crew every time. Most guys lay out whatever they need before job but always good to point out where other tools / gear might be.

How to be a GOOD Groundman

1) Groundmen should ALWAYS be aware of what the climbers rope is doing. Look for a belly in the rope, tangles, and hang-ups. Don't jerk on the rope and throw the climber off balance. Keep climbing gear and ropes stored away from each other. Sharp/greasy equipment should never come in contact with climbing gear. Climbers should use gaff guards, and you should help to insure they stay secured.

2) Always keep your eye on the climber when entering the drop-zone. Use your ears to hear telltale sounds. Be alert. Don't walk around with blinders on... employ a Tiger Eye. Use all the PPE that is required for the job.

3) Show up for work on time and sober. Hope for the best, but be prepared for the worst. If you cannot make it to work, CALL as soon as you realize it. DON'T leave a crew shorthanded without some kind of advance notice.

4) At the very least learn how to tie a bowline and a clove hitch. Get a piece of rope to TAKE HOME and PRACTICE.

5) When backing up a vehicle, always have a spotter. If someone runs over something because you were checking out the hotties, guess who's fault it really is. Beware of eaves and wires. Watch for septic tanks. Don't get the truck stuck. Know when you need to pad in, and do it. Whenever possible before leaving the shop, discuss with the drivers the best truck placements for when you all arrive at the jobsite. Try to call ahead to insure all civillian vehicles are out of the way for when you get there.

6) NEVER leave gear anywhere it can be run over. Set the gear next to a tree, a building, or somewhere safe. Remember what gear is used and where you have set it. Don't go off and forget about/loose it. If you're in a place where gear can be stolen, keep an eye on it. Lock your sidebins. Never leave a sidebin open, especially on the passenger side.

7) Learn how to communicate with your fellow workers without having to hear every time. Hand signals, lip reading, simple common sense. Learn how to 'read' the situation at hand. Respond accordingly.

8) Be friendly and courteous with the customers you are working for. That also extends to your fellow workers. Nobody likes a Grumpy Gus. Be motivited, and a self-starter... set the pace for the newbies to follow. IMPRESS THE CUSTOMER! Dress and act professionally. You are representing the company that is signing your paycheck. When your clothes are worn out, chunk em!

9) Listen to the climber, follow the instructions provided. If you're not clear on something don't proceed until you are... even if it means shutting the chipper down just so you can HEAR. Have a pre-climb talk with the climber about anything you're not sure of. Learn to work as a team. Not just with the climber, but with the entire crew.

10) Arrive at work PREPARED! Have your lunch, gloves, fresh T-shirt, whatever. DON"T always expect a 'stop at the store'. Eat a good breakfast, and have a nice BM BEFORE you leave the house. Learn how to tie your laces to where they don't come undone.

11) Keep a positive, motivated work ethic! Don't whine and complain about every little thing. Hustle when you move. Walk one way, run the other. Hurry-up every chance you get. NEVER drag just one limb... remember Conan? On the wheel? Find a 'cradle' limb, and neatly stack/windrow the brush on it. On the last drag, throw your final rakings on.

12) When roping a limb;
a) Get the limb ON THE GROUND ASAP! Don't tear up eaves, landscaping, or burn the rope, but get it on the ground. Employ a minimum of cutting to do this, and keep overhead cutting to a MINIMUM! Use a power pruner when possible.
b) Get the knot untied QUICKLY, and get the rope back to the climber ASAP! Whoever has the chainsaw(in a 2 man operation), the OTHER man controls the limb and UNTIES THE KNOT. If its just one groundman, set the saw down ASAP and untie the knot.
And get the rope back to the climber!
c) Do not take a wrap on any other tree except the one that is being climbed... except in rare instances. The climber will tell you when. And USE your friction device, If for any other reason than to keep the bullrope running flat against the tree. Do not wrap it around any bodypart you aren't willing to lose. And wear gloves. This will help you to keep from taking too many wraps on the porty. DO NOT OVERWRAP IF THE CLIMBER SAYS TO LET IT RUN, THEN YOU LET IT RUN! Do not stand in the line of the swinging limb... stay clear. Always have a clear view of the climber and the load.
d) Sometimes the climber doesn't require you to get the rope back to him at that particular moment... maybe there is some more climbing to do. Do not just stand there, and watch the masterfull climbing exibition... GET BACK TO WORK. But be ready for when the bullrope is needed once again.
e) When working with a pulley be aware that the friction physics are different. The bullrope can slip out of the pulley in a second. You will need more of a wrap on your friction device than usual. After untieing the pulleyed-bullrope, KEEP THE TAIL IN YOUR HAND, OR ON THE GROUND, SECURED. DO NOT ALLOW IT TO SLIDE UP AND SLIP OUT OF THE PULLEY. At the very least, put a stopper knot in the end of the bullrope.

13) Be respectfull of the customers property. Unless otherwise instructed, treat the customers landscaping, lawn, and ornamental stuff like it was gold. Don't throw cigg butts on the ground, and be respectfull when talking around them. NO cussing... at least not to where they can hear it.

14) ALWAYS put the gas/oil caps tight on the saw. And don't STAB the cap, angle the tool a bit, and tighten. Learn how to use the crazy new Sthil caps. Put the gas in the fuel tank, oil in the oil tank - don't get em mixed up. Gas the saws in a place that is appropriate- don't kill the customers grass, or stain the sidewalk. Take the time to bang out the filter. Check the chain for proper tension.

15) Always be in command of the drop zone. The climber can't do it as well as someone on the ground. Watch for people, water meters, whatever that is within that zone. When necessary, cone and tape off the area. As the climber is gearing up, move whatever should be moved at that time. Know how to drop cable/telephone lines when possible. When in doubt, ask the climber. LISTEN to the climber's instruction at all times.

Last edited:
I had to split it up!

16) Keep all tools/gear in its proper place. If you take a tool, its YOUR responsibility to NOT LOSE IT. Put it back when your done. Everyone on the crew should be familiar with where the gear is. Before leaving the jobsite take the time to count your saws/other gear, and make sure its on the truck. Keep the doors to the trucks closed, and the windows rolled up when necessary due to chipping dust, or weather.

17) A GOOD GROUNDMAN ALWAYS MAINTAINS A VALID DRIVERS LICENCE!!! And reliable personal transportation. You should be able to tow a chipper/trailer safely, and know how to back it up properly using your mirrors. Don't hot-rod the vehicles, treat them like they were yours. Before getting in the truck to move it, take a walk around the truck to ensure everything is clear. When towing anything, inspect the hookup. If working on a public road, set the traffic cones out immediately. If someone is needed to flag traffic, assign someone to do it. Be on guard for all traffic, do not get hit by a careless driver.

18) All saws should be fueled/oiled/filters at least banged out at all times. That is probably the FIRST THING that should be done upon arriving at the jobsite, or even earlier. Never send a saw up to a climber without it being serviced, and warmed up first. NO loose chains! Learn how to file a saw. Be able to replace a chain in a timely fashion. Don't take 10 minutes to do it, and DON'T put it on backwards.

19) Before you get in your truck in the morning, check the fluid levels and service it when needed. Walk around the truck and look for something wrong. Insure all ladders, polesaws, etc are tied down and secured. Double check all hitches/electrical hook-ups. Make sure the vehicle is fueled up. This goes for the saw gas and bar oil. Don't get on the job and have only 2 ounces of mixed gas... be ready to rock and roll! Keep a siphon hose stashed somewhere to get gas out of the chipper in an emergency. Have a spare set of old jeans behind the seat for when someone fails to cap the saw correctly, and some poor soul gets a gas/oil crotch soaking. Keep a couple cans of wasp spray in the truck. Insure there is an up-to-date first aid kit in a place where everyone knows it's location. Don't sleep on the ride, pay attention to where you are going. You may be required to know it later. Keep a current map(s) in the truck and know how to read it.

20) Pay attention to incoming inclement weather. When you see those storm clouds approaching, start rounding up/stashing the gear BEFORE the bottom falls out. Roll up the truck windows if they aren't already up. React/respond to changes that happen around you. The Tiger Eye again.

21) Clear the drag path before you start dragging. Move anything that may get knocked over, damaged etc. DON'T leave chainsaws or any other gear anywhere close to the LZ or the drag path. Don't try to drag a large limb through a narrow gateway, cut it smaller.

22) The groundie should also know what the word "TIMBERRRR!" means and stays in the clear and out of the bite. They should ensure that no one else enters the drop zone, and should have a saw ready to start bucking the tree.

23) A good groundman DOESN'T STINK! They have good personal hygiene habits, and a fresh shirt available, when needed.

24) Keep the saw outta the dirt! Learn proper chainsaw operation/limbing procedures. Use wedges and cant hooks when needed. Limb the tree from the trunk, forward. In THIS case make flush cuts, especially when saving mill logs. NO SNAGS. When limbing a thrown tree that is propped up, keep it propped up until the brush under the log is dragged out. Identify the two main limbs that are keeping it propped up, and leave them alone until you are ready put the log on the ground. Before doing that, placing a few chunks of wood under the log will aid in cutting it. Do not let anyone be close when you make the cut that will shift the log. Don't pinch the saw... learn to recognize the differences between compression and tension situations, and react accordingly.

25) Report any damaged/malfunctioning gear to your supervisor when you discover it - don't just ignore it. Treat the equipment as if it were your own.

26) Other than climbing, don't be one of those "Its not my job" guys. Assess the situation and determine what needs to be done. Do whatever you can to expedite job completion in a timely and work efficient manner. Know how to operate a power pruner, and a pole saw. Use the latter to remove hangers and steer roped limbs. Use extra caution when making cuts with these tools, it is easy to make a bad cut.

27)More experienced groundmen should keep an eye on the newbies, and help in the training. And newbies need to listen to the more experienced members. Don't be offended or take it personel if the training delivery technique is not the best... some people are better teachers than others. Just make a mental note of how YOU will do it better when its YOUR time to train someone. A mutual respect needs to be developed between you and the crew you work with. Strive to be a well-oiled team working together in concert. The more you learn the quicker your chances of advancement increase, and the safer you will be.

28) You should eventually be able to handle all aspects of ground rope operation. Everything from securing the porty up to speedline operation. If you hank your ropes, learn the proper way to do it. Do not just throw the rope on the ground, tie it to the climber's line, and walk off. Take the time to un-hank the rope and tie THAT END to the climbing line. Do not stand there and hold the rope... let go. Step back and insure that the line goes up the tree unhindered. When the climber has untied the rope, ask if you should pull the belly out. If so, do it smooth and carefull. Watch for snags that are trying to foul the rope. Keep all ropes as close to the base of tree as possible. Don't streech them out, and don't make the climber have to pull up a rope that is streeched out.

29) When sending a saw up to a climber;
Set the saw on the ground, and grab a generous bight of rope. Pass it through the BACK HANDLE... the ONE WITH THE TRIGGER. Do not tie it to the wraparound handle. When sending up a bullrope and chainsaw at the same time, ONLY THE BULLROPE should ever be tied to the wrap handle. The saw should hang as near to vertical as possible. NEVER tie to the chain brake.
Pay attention to the rope(s) as the climber pulls them up.

30) You should not have to ask for an advance in pay unless it's an emergency. Learn to control your money, don't make your employer have to help you out every week. One way to do this is to have your lunch/cold drinks/ciggs yourself. Convenience stores are a money pit.

31) In case of emergency, you should know that the first thing to do is make a bee- line for the first aid kit, render some kind of first aid to the climber to avoid shock or at least minimize it, call 911 if needed or send some one for help. Know the address where you're working to tell EMT personnel.

32) When raking, start at the outermost perimeter and work in an ever-diminishing circle TOWARDS THE CHIPPER. DO NOT MAKE LITTLE 'PILES'. Employ advanced raking techniques. Choose the most logical, direct path as your drag path, and don't deviate from it if possible. Keep the area you have to clean-up as small as possible. Don't bust a rake handle by trying to move too large a pile. Use your feet to kick it forward, or pitchfork it into a wheelbarrow or a tarp. Don't leave rakes flat on the ground to get stepped on, prop them up against something. Do not rake an area that is under a roof that still needs to be cleaned. Get up there and blow the roof/gutters off. Be carefull... don't fall off the roof. If you use wheelbarrows, know when to use them, and know when to just pack the logs. Plan it so you don't have to clean the same place twice. Don't chip rakings that may have rocks in it. Respect the chipper and its blades. Believe it or not, its your best friend in this biz, or it could eat you alive.

33) You should know how to work safely with a chipper and eventually you will learn how to operate a stump grinder.An experienced groundie should work shoulder to shoulder with a newbie, insuring all the proper training in all aspects of safe, efficient chipper operations. You should learn to do minor maintenance on it as needed, as well as emergency procedures such as unclogging the chute... or better not, never clogging it in the first place. When chipping stringy or wet stuff pay attention to the chippers progress while doing it. Listen for the engine bogging down or the lack of chips being expelled. When a break in the chipping occurs, idle it down, or shut it off altogether. DON'T let it run all day. Make sure the chute is aimed to chip into the dump bed. Aim it to fill one side first, then the other, then the middle. Make sure the chute is positioned so flying chips aren't sent into traffic. Do not let diesel engines run completely out of gas.

34) You should have at least a basic understanding of tree anatomy, physiology, and identification. This can be accomplished through lots of reading, and OTJ observation. Ask questions. Pay attention. Know the plant that helps you to make your money.
For companies that also do landscaping, you should also be able to do the basic things. Proper pruning, planting, and fertilizing along with the correct use of the tools should be learned ASAP if not known already.

35) If you notice everyone around you is working and you are not, you are doing something wrong. Look around and ask yourself "What can I do to help complete this job?" If you really need instruction about that, ask your foreman.

Last edited:
Mike, I worked you into 12a and 12c

Murphy, you gave me 34, and I put you in 15 and 32

Climbing Mike, 19 and 31

Brian, 12c

ORClimber, 33

Dadatwins, 16

Last edited:
Now to find a groundman that can actually read more than a thousand characters with out passing out.:) Good list though I wonder if you want to add anything about setting up equipment in the roadway such as traffic cones, work signs flagman etc. Can not wait to see this printed in TCI mag. thay might even give you the COVER :cool:

Okay, here's my suggestions....you guys can decide if you like 'em or not..

4) (the one about tying knots) Knowing how to quickly untie a knot is just as important as tying one. The climber does not want to wait around up in the tree while you try to decode the running bowline.
4a) The slip knot is the best knot to use for a stopper knot (see 12e). The climber can untie it with a simple tug. Be aware that the slip knot can be tied in two different directions. One will come undone when it hits the pulley. The other will stay tied. Learn the difference.

13) (about keeping a clean mouth) Look for swing sets in the yard. The presence of a swing set often indicated the presence of children.

14) (about filling saws) A valiant attempt to be made to fill the saws without spilling a drop of gas mix or oil on the saw or lawn.

26) --- I think you meant "Assess" the situation---

35) If there are local maps in the trucks, learn how to use them. While driving to a job site, the driver would much appreciate a skilled navigator who can always be one turn ahead of the driver.

love
nick!

I wonder what word would be the most PC for groundman? Groundperson? Groundie?

Nick, I worked some of what you gave into 12b, and 19.

So, are we starting to get to the end of this? No more suggestions? A lot of members have not checked in on this one yet, I hope. I haven't heard anything from them.

I call 'em groundhands.

BTW this is an excellent subject, I plan on incorporating this into our next saftey meeting.

How about putting out wheel chalks, cones, and signs while the foreman is banging on the door.

Tree & climber support person. Oh well, yes, my lady sometimes is that on the job.

So, TCSP, or TCS personel.

The word goundie to me is like calling some one a 'dirt bag', ..., let's make them a part of the human race if we want them to do it the best.

Jack

Originally posted by RockyJSquirrel
The weinies who wish to create a new term to replace 'groundman' are more than welcome to do so on their own jobsites, but to the rest of us REAL treemen the term will always be 'groundman'.

....unless it's a woman, then it's a ground-chick, ground-lady, ground-woman, ground-girl, or whichever she prefers! Or else you will suffer the wrath!

attachment.php

love
nick

Tuesday i am going to be a '' groundman'' tomorrow im having a day off :D ..wednesday i will a ''climber'':D

Back