What would cause this?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I've got my strong suspicions, but would like to see what you guys think. This P&C is off a good running MS441. Compression cold was about 142 PSI. None of the "marks" in the cylinder can be felt at all. The rings still have the little micro lines in them like new ones.

So two questions here. What caused the marks in the cylinder? What caused all the carbon on the piston?

749056204_ZjqwT-M.jpg

749056165_BTUUm-M.jpg

749056234_b2NdR-M.jpg

749056270_A2oZ3-M.jpg

749056133_ekRwq-M.jpg

Hmmmm two strato saws, both with excessive amounts of carbon build up has me baffled. And I've run this saw and it runs really strong.

Plugged (Poorly flowing) muffler, mixed with an overly rich tuning??

Beats me, that's weird.

I think there's a legitamate explanation for this one.
Strato saws run hotter than regular two strokes and use less fuel to boot(ie less coolant). Add to that that most chain saw oils are fairly low in quality and you have a piston looking like the one posted.
FWIW its not that bad.
I havent a clue how that mark of the intake port got there

There was some carbon buildup on the piston crown and in the combustion chamber, but not bad. The saw has had WoodlandPro synthetic oil it until the last 4 tanks when it has Stihl Ultra in it. I don't think oil is the culprit. If anything, I think good oil helped save it.

Interesting, Id have to see the saw and how it was in its "working" condition.

I have an idea.

:popcorn:

I'm not trying to play games with you guys, so here's my opinion of what caused this. Plain and simple...heat, and lots of it. The carb on this saw still has the limiter caps on it and has been used for milling, even in 90° heat. I believe this saw has been hot enought to almost seize. I believe a tight piston caused the marks in the cylinder. I also believe extremely high heat is what baked the oil onto the piston. Had this saw not had good synthetic oil in it, I don't think it would have survived. This here is an advertisement for the benefit of using good oil.

I'm not trying to play games with you guys, so here's my opinion of what caused this. Plain and simple...heat, and lots of it. The carb on this saw still has the limiter caps on it and has been used for milling, even in 90° heat. I believe this saw has been hot enought to almost seize. I believe a tight piston caused the marks in the cylinder. I also believe extremely high heat is what baked the oil onto the piston. Had this saw not had good synthetic oil in it, I don't think it would have survived. This here is an advertisement for the benefit of using good oil.

Makes sense to me. . .

Improperly set up milling saw= Bad.

Surprised it didn't seize even with synthetic. what mix ratio?

Most saws seem tp be tuned on the lean side for normal bucking. That's way too lean for milling. I think the solution here, is more oil in the mix, and tuned rich enough that it barely quits 4-stroking under load.

BTW, there also appears to have been a fair amount of dirt ingestion. I would suspect this is due to the far dustier conditions of milling. This might be another good application for oil on the filter.

Latest posts

Back