What would cause this?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I don't run anything that isn't R50.

So Brad, should I wonder about this being a problem with the 79er??

Not as long as you're not running it too lean. I would never mill with 50:1 either. I'd say 40:1 would be a minimum, and would probably go 32:1 myself. I'm running 32:1 with R50 already, but am not saying that's necessary. I recommend 40:1 in any modded saw, just for extra insurance. I always advise a fully synthetic oil.

Not as long as you're not running it too lean. I would never mill with 50:1 either. I'd say 40:1 would be a minimum, and would probably go 32:1 myself. I'm running 32:1 with R50 already, but am not saying that's necessary. I recommend 40:1 in any modded saw, just for extra insurance. I always advise a fully synthetic oil.

I switched to 40:1 this fall, and I ain't looking back.

I'm super impressed with the WoodlandPro oil here. I've sold some of it to the tree service guys I'm doing work for. I've considered using it myself. Now I'm really intrigued.

If I was goign to mill, I would run 40:1 or 32:1, richen it up a bit, get a foam filter and keep it clean and oiled.
From the dealer saw's aren't ready to mill...

You did say the limiters were still stock? That tells a lot of the story.

almost 30 viewing! You know how to reel em in Brad!

Last edited:
It could be from heat, I don't know. What I do know, is that is exactly what a piston looks like when it has been run on old crappy varnished gas. Good oil in bad gas won't make it varnish the piston any less.

What would cause that much carbon build up? I understand the saw is running hotter than it should so the carbon shouldn't build up, right?

That piston had a combination of 3 things wrong with it.

1) The large burned mark on the underside of the piston shows that the saw was running too hot (Check your spark plug, it might be the wrong one).

2) The saw isn't broken in. If the rings still have the lines on them from when they were made, they aren't broken in. The cylinder doesn't have hone marks, so the rings never wore into the bore. Have the rings been replaced before? It sounds like they have been and nobody de-glazed the cylinder wall.

3) I'm not positive that it was your problem, but bad gas will leave dark marks like that. Bad gas however, is NOT a reason for the whole piston to be covered in carbon, just a reason to have an excess of carbon near the combustion chamber.

The saw isn't broken in. If the rings still have the lines on them from when they were made, they aren't broken in. The cylinder doesn't have hone marks, so the rings never wore into the bore. Have the rings been replaced before? It sounds like they have been and nobody de-glazed the cylinder wall.

He bought the saw brand new in (September??) of 2008. He's been running it for nearly a year and a half.

Back