Where's WYK been, and what trouble is he making?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
OHOHOHO! Got a chuckle outta me. I'm gonna call 'em that from now on.

To me a crutch is:

Dali-Surrealistic_Crutch.jpg

And a crotch is:

weak_crotch.png

They get mixed all the time. A morphological kinship.

WYK to the rescue

I was resting at the PIlot stop at exit 99 on I5 just south of Olympia, Washington when I got a call about 4pm. It's one of the cruisers I was working with last week. He tells me his truck has a flat in the south part of the forest near fort Lewis, which is about 20 miles from me, and his jack is't working. It was in such a bad area his standard jack could not lift the truck up enough for him to get the tire off. I got his coordinates, plugged them in to my GPS unit, and headed out to rescue him with another jack.

I arrived about an hour later, out in a remote area that was flooded and getting more rain every moment. We then had to walk about another mile through the forest into the area he was parked because I did not have a 4X4 to reach him. The wind was picking up. The entire area was blown down trees, limbs, and mud. Try as we could, the two jacks just could not give enough articulation to get his wheel off. When it grew dark he said he'd go camp in his truck, and with the aid of my GPS unit I walked in the dark back to my truck and readied it to camp in for the night. Just then, the other cruiser appears from the wid and the rain down the trail and tells me he needs beer, pizza, and a hotel room. He would pay if I got him out of there. He really didn't want to camp in the truck for the night.

Well, this was 3 hours after I arrived - by then the roads were flooded and I was hoping to wait until the water ran off the next day and drive out. But the thought of a dry hotel room cold beer, and hot pizza was mroe than enough incentive. It was very dark, and my headlights are nearly worthless...but i wanted beer.

I fired up the Ford F150 and headed out. Only one problem, there was no room to turn her around, so I would have to follow a small trail another 3 miles until we were out of the forest and on to a proper road. It would be the longest 3 miles of my life.

The trail was full of blown down trees and huge limbs that had fallen from Douglas Firs and Hemlocks. The rain had collected at the bottom of every hill and formed huge ponds I had to ford with my Ford. On several occasions we became stuck and my fellow forester had to get out and stand in the bed of the truck for extra traction as I rocked it back and forth. I had to fly up every hill nearly sideways to maintain enough speed to top them without becoming stranded. All the while it poured rain, the windows were fogged, and the mud and branches were flying in thru the windows we had open to keep the misting down. At one point we were moving huge branches from the road so the truck could get thru, at other times we were hacking and sawing tree trunks to clear the road.

From boarding the Ford until we made it out to the pavement, it took narly 2 hours to end that 3 miles of trail hell.

That night we stayed at the Super 8 near Lacey, I as absolutely stunned the Ford made it thru that torture test. We had a lot of beer and a lot of pizza. Even Carlow had some crust and a few pieces of sausage. At 8 am the next morning we were at the CRAP(Cut Rate Auto Parts | We've Got Your Part!) auto parts buying a REAL jack. By 1030 we had hiked the mile or so to the truck, swapped out the tire, and drove her the 3 miles out back to the flat top and then up to where I had parked my truck. The 3 mile trail was far less intimidating in the daylight without rain and in a 4X4. ;)

I was treated to a very healthy lunch.

I am now back at the Pilot at exit 99 ...

What a man wouldn't do for a beer...

Good thing you apparently had a working radiator fan. Got stuck myself a couple of weeks ago, the road melted into mud during the day. I found out just then that the fan was dead. It never rolls in winter. Fortunately there was snow available, I kept shoveling it onto the block.

That case left a good story to tell. With an happy ending!

Someone asked me who Carlow was:

medium.jpg

She's my lil Greyhound I brought back with me from Ireland. She's named after the county I got her in- Ceatharlach, AKA Carlow in English.

Well, it's been a while since I have given an update. I struggled to find further work in the states. So, I recently took up an opportunity to work at a friend's Greyhound rescue on a volunteer visa in Ireland. I'll be here for a year, helping transporting and looking after the Greyhounds the Irish racing industry chews up and spits out.

I am finding some forestry and felling work on the side here and there. I'm i the process of building a new saw from some parts - a 365special and a new chinese top end I got from Matt. I am porting it as we speak. But I need tools, and Ireland is crap for DIY stuff. So, I been searching around for the stuff I need.

Here's a photo of the country where I am staying:

large.jpg

large.jpg

large.jpg

Good to know where you're at. Hope it all works out for you. Look me up again if you're back here in the NW.

Been looking around for an axe to pound wedges and to do some small splitting with for the forestry side work I've been getting here in Ireland. Most hatchets are crap for splitting, and most forestry axes are a bit more than I need right now. So, when I came across this little tomahawk, I had to have it. It's heavy enough to split smalls pieces to put into the wood stove, and much larger and beefier than a typical hatchet, but just small enough to tuck into my tool belt and use for wedges with it's nice flat butt. It's an Iltis Ochsenkopf(Ox Head) axe. They usually go for about $50 Euro or so, but I got this one on sale after Christmas:

large.jpg

large.jpg

large.jpg

large.jpg

large.jpg

Someone asked me who Carlow was:

medium.jpg

She's my lil Greyhound I brought back with me from Ireland. She's named after the county I got her in- Ceatharlach, AKA Carlow in English.

Oddly enough - Carlow is back with me here in Ireland. I am in county Tiperary. So, one county over from where I got her. She was kept in a shed in the country. I heard about her and decided to head out to see if I could find maybe find a place in a rescue for her, but ended up keeping her as my own. Not sure she's happy back in Ireland for the cold. But she is prolly used to the accent, at least. Here's the story of my travels with her to here:

an American living and working in Ireland during the height of the Celtic Tiger: I recently brought my Greyhound with me back to Ireland.

Wes, I had seen some of your posts using your new handle and thought they looked familiar. And of course, I knew your connection to Ireland. I'm glad to see you around.

Your saga was an awsome read. Someday you need to take up writing as a vocation.

Good to see you around.

Neal

Wes, I had seen some of your posts using your new handle and thought they looked familiar. And of course, I knew your connection to Ireland. I'm glad to see you around.

Your saga was an awsome read. Someday you need to take up writing as a vocation.

Good to see you around.

Neal

Thanks, mang. I have an entire blog of stories I am writing about my journeys. Just hit 'older' or 'newer' at the bottom of the page on that url I gave out above. I used to drive a recovery vehicle for the Irish state police and have a few stories in the blog. Here's one of them:

http://wherewereuwhenuforgotwhereuwere.blogspot.ie/2012/10/no-english.html

Read your blog. excellent read! Hope all goes well in the green hills :msp_thumbup:

If you run into any Killoughs or Kelloghs they are probably distant relation. Same family of the Killough massacre down in Texas. But maybe not cause most came from N. Irland by way of Scotland.

Best regards,

Wes

Kellogh is originally Scottish in origin, isn't it? Like the cereal? ;)

Kill or Cill, btw, means 'church' in Irish. So LOTS of stuff with that in their name here. So, Kill Lough or CIll Lough or CIll Lach or etc - would mean "The Church on the lake". My Greyhound's name is "Ceatharlach"; after the county I got her from. It means 'four lakes'.

So, anywho - my full time job in Ireland is working at a sighthound/Greyhound and dog rescue. Today we got in a freaking stunningly beautiful female lurcher(greyhound/shepherd cross). It looks to be an Aussie Shepherd or maybe Collie/Greyhound mix:

large.jpg

large.jpg

Also snowed the other day:

large.jpg

I was in Wales and Oxford, dropping off a load of Greyhounds to the local rescues there to rehome in England. I'll see about getting a few images from England and Wales up. I am with: PAWS Animal Rescue - Home - feel free to donate if you are feelin' generous. Even a few bucks helps a lot. And now yer also helping feed me, too, since I mostly work for room and board. ;)

We currently have over 80 dogs and hounds on site.

Last edited by a moderator:
Good lookin dog! Have a soft spot for Aussies, used to have one, hell of a dog.

Yupp originally from Scotland, slightly different spelling. There's a gillion differen't ways to spell it lol

Good lookin dog! Have a soft spot for Aussies, used to have one, hell of a dog.

Yupp originally from Scotland, slightly different spelling. There's a gillion differen't ways to spell it lol

A bit more Gaelic while we're on the subject - why not an Irish poem:

Go n-éirí an bóthar leat
Go raibh an ghaoth go brách ag do chúl
Go lonraí an ghrian go te ar d'aghaidh
Go dtite an bháisteach go mín ar do pháirceanna
Agus go mbuailimid le chéile arís,
Go gcoinní Dia i mbos A láimhe thú.

May the road rise to meet you
May the wind be always at your back
May the sun shine warm upon your face,
The rains fall soft upon your fields
And until we meet again
May God hold you in the hollow of His hand.

Well, I met an Irish Gal the other week and we are now seeing each other regularly. So, not so much forestry on the weekends anymore. Here's what she looks like:

Marija Sestak, slovenian female triple jumper (re-uploaded) - YouTube

OK, maybe not. But, DAMN! Look at that video. ;)

Headed out to hers for valentines tomorrow. I think I may be in trouble. I like this girl a lot. She's yer typical red-haired, blue-eyed Irish gal, too. Just adorable. So, now ya know why I haven't posted much ;)

Latest posts

Back