Whoa ... "Stihl's" new saw

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I hope they don't screw this up as they screwed up with the MS462C... it's rumored to go on sale in August/September 2018 in the usual Stihl launch markets (Germany, Switzerland and Austria) but I wouldn't hold my breath.

It's the latest whiz-bang thing and you should expect that it will be priced accordingly.

My question is - Why is this necessary?

So you can no longer fix your own saws and must take them in to a dealer.

They started installing limiter caps....

What did Stihl screw up with the 462C? I've not seen any complaints from people who have them.

Fuel injection has the potential of giving better performance, fuel economy and emissions. It's not like it's a new technology- all our cars have it. It's not even new for two strokes. It's been used in outboards since the 1990s.

Saws are using the same technology that we had on cars in the 1980s- regular carburetors and computer controlled carburetors. If you're old enough you'll remember how crappy, slow and unreliable cars and trucks were back then. I know how carbs work and I can tune and rebuild them. But when I'm cutting wood the point is to cut wood, not futz with carburetors. As long as it's reliable, which Stihl is usually good at, fuel injection will be a bonus.

What did Stihl screw up with the 462C? I've not seen any complaints from people who have them.

Street price of the MS462 is about 15-20% over than the new Husqvarna 572XP.
I have no doubt both are excellent saws but is the Stihl really worth 15-20% more than the Huskie? I honestly doubt Husqvarna is selling the saw at loss just to annoy the good folks at Waiblingen.

Oh, and launch in those European markets where it isn't available yet (meaning everywhere bar Germany, Austria and Switzerland) has been delayed again indefinetely. Dealers have not been given an explanation but aren't happy: you can buy an MS462 in Germany for less than an MS461 in France or Italy. I won't even go into how much cheaper is the 572XP in Austria. A no-brainer under common market rules, even if you are a professional.

These saws are meant for professionals who look at the bottom line, which is cost-effectiveness. Even assuming the Stihl is superior to the Huskie (I'll gladly leave that to the groupies) is it so much better as to justify the big price difference?

Fuel injection has the potential of giving better performance, fuel economy and emissions. It's not like it's a new technology- all our cars have it. It's not even new for two strokes. It's been used in outboards since the 1990s.

Saws are using the same technology that we had on cars in the 1980s- regular carburetors and computer controlled carburetors. If you're old enough you'll remember how crappy, slow and unreliable cars and trucks were back then. I know how carbs work and I can tune and rebuild them. But when I'm cutting wood the point is to cut wood, not futz with carburetors. As long as it's reliable, which Stihl is usually good at, fuel injection will be a bonus.

I found a 1-bbl manual choke carb and retrofitted that on to my truck. 1 vacuum line to the distributor. Single wire HEI distributor with coil inside, I keep a spare behind the seat and can change it out in 10 minutes. Mechanical fuel pump out in the open on the block, not some POS pump inside the gas tank. That's on 292 six in a C10. It gets close to 20 mpg.

I have no doubt both are excellent saws but is the Stihl really worth 15-20% more than the Huskie? I honestly doubt Husqvarna is selling the saw at loss just to annoy the good folks at Waiblingen.

Oh, and launch in those European markets where it isn't available yet (meaning everywhere bar Germany, Austria and Switzerland) has been delayed again indefinetely. Dealers have not been given an explanation but aren't happy: you can buy an MS462 in Germany for less than an MS461 in France or Italy. I won't even go into how much cheaper is the 572XP in Austria. A no-brainer under common market rules, even if you are a professional.

These saws are meant for professionals who look at the bottom line, which is cost-effectiveness. Even assuming the Stihl is superior to the Huskie (I'll gladly leave that to the groupies) is it so much better as to justify the big price difference?
They have been available in Sweden for a few months already, and at the same price range as the 572.

They have been available in Sweden for a few months already, and at the same price range as the 572.

This because like with everything else you massively overpay for everything in Sweden? ;)
When people go to Denmark to buy groceries, you know you live in a country so expensive as to make Helvetia cheap by comparison.

With the power to weight ratio the 462 has...yes, it will sell!

Back