Whoa ... "Stihl's" new saw

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Their fuel injected cut off saw has 500 in the model name also. I guess it is moving along some stuff shows up in an internet search. It is 80cc from the video and 6.8hp. I guess the first question would be is it open or closed loop operating system. One kind of self adjusts and the other needs re programed if changes are made or if a different tune is desired the way I understand it. Kind of wonder if it has some sort of composite sound board or chassis the way it sounds.

I think O2 sensors are problematic on two strokes due to fuel and oil in the exhaust. And its extra bulk and weight which are important to be minimized on a chain saw. So I'm guessing it'll be open loop.

They've been selling the fuel injected cutoff saw since 2013 or 2014. Should have all the bugs worked out already.

Love technology!!!! More power, uses less fuel and does away with most starting issues. Hope others follow this path soon.

And blown engines cause they are using light weight cheap parts that wasn't made to handle the boost from a turbo and for better mpg. Got a 2017 Cruze on the lift with busted pistons and damaged bores. New motor on the stand now.

Steve

That and having to run everything soo lean...don’t get me started on EPA BS

This is what I fear with all these 'whiz bang' things......Made in China! Husky suffered a major blow to its sales because of its venture in Auto-Tune and Made in China.

Not saying there aren't good things made there, I'm just saying that quality control, raw materials quality and manufacturing standards are seemingly sub-par. Plus, outsourcing all our phones, games, toys and now chainsaws, seems as if we are creating a global manufacturing monopoly there.

Stihl may not even manufacture the saw there, but from my experience the more technologically advanced something becomes, the more closely related to China it becomes.

s-l1600.jpg

Most small engine carbs are made in China, have been for a long time. Stihl owns Zama and they make all their carbs in China. Husqvarna, Stihl, Echo all use parts from China and elsewhere.

But I agree Husqvarna messed up big time with the 562, 550 series of saws, poor design do to inadequate testing, QC issues and corner cutting. I do believe they got the massage, maybe they went overboard in beefing up the 572, which made the saw a bit heavier. If I were cutting for a living I'm pretty sure I'd alway pick reliability over a little weight though.

Now if say the 462 and the 500 are both reliable and light, game over in the pro market IMHO. Well unless Husqvarna has a 590 built on the same platform as the 572.

I will also add both Stihl and Husqvarna need to get their heads out of their backsides and provide a simple app and USB connection to allow users "especially the true pro users" to diagnose and update their equipment in the field. This not being available is a huge deterrent for myself, I can only imagine how guys in the field think of this.

Back