Who's run out of wood, now scrounging?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
"Here", it's just an easement, and my property extends to the road centerline.

Same thing here also... you pay property taxes to the middle of the road. Anything growing in the ditch belongs to the property owner, but the county can cut or trim anything they feel is necessary to keep the roadway safe... utility companies can do the same to protect power lines and such. If, for some reason, the county abandons the roadway, the land automatically reverts back to the owner... if the same person owns land on each side, the two parcels become a single parcel.

It's the same way with navigable waterways (rivers)... your property line extends to some point out in the water (not necessarily the center) and you pay taxes on it. The river itself (the water) is a public right-of-way and you can't stop people from using it... but if the waterway is to small/shallow for navigation and you own land on both sides, you can then put a fence across it as long as the fence doesn't adversely affect flow. Those fences are quite common when small rivers and creeks flow through a pasture or field... especially when needed to contain livestock.

Same thing here also... you pay property taxes to the middle of the road. Anything growing in the ditch belongs to the property owner, but the county can cut or trim anything they feel is necessary to keep the roadway safe... utility companies can do the same to protect power lines and such. If, for some reason, the county abandons the roadway, the land automatically reverts back to the owner... if the same person owns land on each side, the two parcels become a single parcel.

It's the same way with navigable waterways (rivers)... your property line extends to some point out in the water (not necessarily the center) and you pay taxes on it. The river itself (the water) is a public right-of-way and you can't stop people from using it... but if the waterway is to small/shallow for navigation and you own land on both sides, you can then put a fence across it as long as the fence doesn't adversely affect flow. Those fences are quite common when small rivers and creeks flow through a pasture or field... especially when needed to contain livestock.

Lot of that can change soon with the proposed new guidelines. The comment period was over last November, but basically...they claim and want all wetlands, period, even seasonal marshes, ditches, etc. Because these feed into "navigable waters" eventually. It gets real involved and I don't claim to have any other definitives about how they will rule or regulate here or there, but that is the gist of it.

Back to wood scrounging. I spent an hour or so going through a brushpile that I didn't burn while cutting. Its amazing how when times are good what gets pitched for chaff. I picked up about 3 wheel barrows of nice sized sticks anywhere from 1 inch to up to 2 1/2 inch size. Hey a scrounger can't be picky. After a couple days of drying this should last me a little while for good day wood.

Back to wood scrounging. I spent an hour or so going through a brushpile that I didn't burn while cutting. Its amazing how when times are good what gets pitched for chaff. I picked up about 3 wheel barrows of nice sized sticks anywhere from 1 inch to up to 2 1/2 inch size. Hey a scrounger can't be picky. After a couple days of drying this should last me a little while for good day wood.

And now ya know why I say what I have been saying for years here. If ya got to touch it, stack it.

That's why I pretty much always cut small, and I ain't gonna run out. I'm years ahead still and let 4 truck loads go the past two weeks to friends and neighbors who are out completely. I give em all a lecture, too, stop being "just in time" and get years ahead. Drive by and see me hand splitting out in the heat in the summer all the time..they run out, I don't. I'm mr nice guy this winter, but not next year.

Been there done that decades ago, never again, that running out.. If I can get the tractor close, down to one inch, if I have to tote it a far distance through the woods, 1.5 to 2 inches. Everything goes in the stacks. I never call the stuff from a tree chaff/brush/swear word, it is all good firewood.

I see people push up huge piles of perfectly good wood with crawlers and tractors and diesel it and burn it, just annoying to me, can't stand to watch it. Just goes against the grain bad for me. Been like that since I was a kid.

Americans are the first to kvetch about energy costs, I mean, everyone does, and the last ones to actually conserve and use wisely what they got. The rest of the world has us pegged, the truth hurts, but we've been pegged righteously, we are a nation of energy hogs and wasters. I admit to some of that myself, I'm running a smoke dragon in a barely insulated cabin, but I dang for sure try, I'll run the little saws some tanks on every tree and get it cut and hauled. This is more or less a rental with my job on the farm, and I don't have the spare loot to rebuild it. If it was mine, it would be insulated somehow, but donating my labor plus material costs just ain't happening, one or the other, not both. . So, my compromise is not waste what I have here for fuel.

I have had people razz me about "stacking kindling" and I go "what's the difference, you get big ones and have to split them smaller, I eliminate a lot of the middle man and just *cut the dang small* as well as the big and into the stacks it goes. Just one exception since I have been here, when they did that butcher job on the huge oak in the yard. I wound up hauling a few loads to the ravine, I mean, I couldn't walk across the yard, so I half cut them and hauled, just to give me a walkway to the porch, then kept cutting and stacking and burnt up some privet with the small stuff. But, that's just once in 8 years. Every other thing I have cut has been cut down to real small and into the stacks, or when the chipper was working, chipped and tilled into the garden.

A man with a pole saw could scrounge all day up here just on dead, bone dry red oak limbs from 4-8" in diameter, and within reach. Seems like every live oak has at least one and most times 2 or 3 on them. I may just have to get me one of them things.

I have so much wood I feel guilty participating in this thread. I'm on the same page as Zogger with using the small stuff, despite the fact that I have nearly unlimited access to wood. I'll bet there's more than a few guys running low that would like to have some of that smaller wood that was left behind.

Folks that are low in this area are gonna have a hard time scrounging since we got 20" of snow in yesterday's storm. We need some melting to take place!! I had to do some scrounging ONCE. But that was late in the season with no snow on the ground. So it was both easy to get and not much was needed to finish the year. Still, it wasn't a feeling I liked and I've always stayed way ahead since.

But this has been a winter that just gobbles up woodpiles and running low or out with all this snow on the ground and this much winter left to go is not a fix I'd want to find myself in. I hope all you guys find what you need to get you through the rest of the season. We're halfway through Feb., so temps ought to start trending warmer pretty soon PLEASE!!

I was shoveling a previously untouched piece of ground the other day, and a cross section showed 3 distinct layers of ice from the 3 ice storms we had this winter. Each layer was 1"+thick with varying snow layers between them. Deer can walk on it without breaking through and so can I. Made gettin' into the woods on foot pretty decent for a while. The last 3 storms dumped 30" of snow so it isn't easy any more. Thankfully I don't need to scrounge, just break a path to the "next years" wood pile.

HAHAHA Your comment about the Opossum cracks me up! So very true! I've been thinking about keeping my saw in the back of the truck for that exact reason! I see so many trees on the side of the road on my way home from work thinking......hmmmmmm

No, I already have dibbs. White mountains for you, think of the view.

Let me share a scrounge story.

Cold winter, similar to this one. Older buddy of mine was definitely going to run out before the end of the year. There were some blown over ash trees on his property, but in an area that was kind of wet. It was getting late enough in the season where we'd only be able to get it if we went in there early in the morning when everything was still frozen with his utility vehicle. So we head there at dawn on a cold morning. Trees were only 8-10 inches, so we only needed small saws. He took his 340, and I grabbed a 49SP and an old blue SXL I brought along as an after thought. I hadn't cut all winter and they were the 2 saws I had laying around with fuel in them. He starts out, hits a rock on his first cut and the chain on the 340 is toast. OK, I grab the 49SP. On the first pull the rope breaks! (I started it 10 minutes earlier at the truck). We just looked at each other with one of those "we're off to a great start" looks. So, it's up to ole blue. Cut 3 full UV loads with the old girl and it didn't skip a beat. Like me, it was a one time experience for him. A month and a half later, he ordered his 1st picker load of logs and he always stays at least a year ahead now. He still talks about that every year about this time.

I'm with those that like the small thin stuff. I know some like 3-4" and thicker. I like everything I can get. I have about a pallet and a half of thin stock. Makes a great starter wood. I let my stove burn out every night, except really cold nights, and start up each morning. There is a lot of heat energy in those thin twigs. My winter is just about over. The pastures are greening over. Forecast for next week is 72-73 so just a fire in the morning. I was out working in a flannel shirt yesterday. Nice days ahead.

A man with a pole saw could scrounge all day up here just on dead, bone dry red oak limbs from 4-8" in diameter, and within reach. Seems like every live oak has at least one and most times 2 or 3 on them. I may just have to get me one of them things.

That's a great idea

When I used to take my kids camping at the state parks there wasn't a stick on the ground because of all the campers scrounging wood. We used to take down the clothes line and tie a rock to it and pull down all those low dead limbs for our fire. The kids called it" Rockin and ropein"

I was getting very low, my OWB is a hog when it hits -20° and stays there.
Went and got a load of slab wood, that went fast, so I ordered a semi load of logs, doing fine now, but I'm ready for this winter to be over.
As another Michigan thumbilly, The snow is deep in these woods, The only way in and out for me is a yamaha rhino and a little trailer. Need to get ready for next year.

Got any furniture you aren't particularly fond of? I sympathize for you though.

lol...I'm heating with a bed frame right now,been keeping us warm for almost 2 days.

I am not out of good wood yet,our old king sized log bed frame was just about shot,so I cut it down to fit the OWB.

Back