Welding of a top handle and replacement rubber for handles

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cut4fun

Faster is Better
Reaction score
I have a top handle for a partner 5000 that must of seen some real abuse. The aluminum handle on the right side near the AV is broken about 75% across. Pretty much a straight break.
Someone must of been tugging really hard on it for some reason, because of that top handle break and the spring on lower side is snapped into pieces and rear AV trashed.
But I was wondering how you would go about welding a aluminum handle? What type of welder?
I am just a chicken scratch stick welder, so I will need to find someone that can do the job right too.

Also I have a good 5000 handle that has the rubber covering missing. I have heard that some place can put new rubber back on the handles. If so how much and where? or what have you done to make a good replacement?

Go to you local welding supply shop and get a few sticks of the rod they sell to "braze" aluminum. I have used this stuff and was very impressed with the strength of the repair, easier to hide than a bead of weld too. All you need is a propane or mapp torch.

Stihl sells the handle bar padding as a repair pat, your dealer won't have it in stock and will have a tough time finding it in the books, it in there, I just don't remember where.

You can buy alum. rods for you're stick welder, and they can wok nicely, but man is it a BEOTCH!!!! You have to "push" the rod, rather than pull it like you normally do, I have seen it done beautifly, and I have done it crapily, but it can be done, realativly inexpensivly if you want to try. A TIG is the best bet, a MIG with a spool gun is second, then the alum. arc rods. The brazing will look good, my problem with it is lack of penetration.
Andy

That right there is why I try to chose my words very carefully here. :laugh:
I have changed complete sentences because I could see where someone would twist it around.
I think I will find someone that tig welds then because my steel welds look like chicken scratch and I could only imagine what a poop spot I'd make with aluminum. It is a 23 year old handle for a extra partner 5000 and would like to keep it for a back up. Parts are parts.
Thanks for all the info.

Bob, How can I tell the difference? Alum or Mag? I used to race at the drag strip up by salem. You in that area?

sedanman said:
Stihl sells the handle bar padding as a repair pat, your dealer won't have it in stock and will have a tough time finding it in the books, it in there, I just don't remember where.

There are two sizes available. I can dig up the part number if anyone is really interested... but it is PITA to put on. I done many.. The technique is to connect the end of the hose reel to a big compressor, then slide the other end over the handle and keep pushing. As the pressure increases the rubber expands.. all you need is three or four hands..(seems like it), and it can be a struggle as you are either fighting friction or the air pressure, and it's easy to loose the handle and embed it in the wall.

The best solution I have found is a foot operated ball valve to control the pressure. That leaves your other three hands to hold the handle and work the rubber on, but you can set the optimal pressure constantly, and kill it if you run out of energy for a while.

I want to try another solution... Tape up the ends where you don't want any rubber, then take it down to one of the Rhino coating guys and have them squirt it while they are doing a truck bed.

2 miles from Quaker City Raceway, sounds like its in my backyard on race day. :) Take a knife and scrape off some shavings than light them with a lighter, if they flash bright white its magnesium. One of my Echo side covers i have welded ok the other was mag and it welded ok but cracked right away...Bob

Bob. I think we are talking about different Salem's. I am over here by West Salem. You are over in the North East right?
Will go try the burning of the metal to see.

Tested the metal

Bob W., I just scraped some metal pieces into a spoon and went in a dark place and held a long lighter on the metal pieces. They just melted down in the spoon, no sparks or flames from them. So I take it that means aluminum?

I'm pretty sure most metal handles are aluminum... Mag alloys are way too brittle to be formed the way handles are made.

lakeside what about lubing the tubing with some dishsoap or some other water soluble lubricant, perhaps even a personal lubricant? hahaha

cut4fun I would think there would be an easier "fix" you know what I mean?

Latest posts

Back