posting pics is P.I.T.A.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gwiz

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
:bang: I have never rebuilt a saw engine, but I bet it's easier than getting my digital camera set to less than 300kb and still getting a good picture posted. I've got a 261 I'd like to rebuild as a 262xp. Was going to post a pic with some questions. My last pic was 307.1kb...rejected.

I don't really have time for my first rebuild right now, so maybe I can just get some of the necessities without pics. Where do I buy Muriatic Acid (what type of store sells it?) to clean a scored cylinder?

James

:bang: I have never rebuilt a saw engine, but I bet it's easier than getting my digital camera set to less than 300kb and still getting a good picture posted. I've got a 261 I'd like to rebuild as a 262xp. Was going to post a pic with some questions. My last pic was 307.1kb...rejected.

I don't really have time for my first rebuild right now, so maybe I can just get some of the necessities without pics. Where do I buy Muriatic Acid (what type of store sells it?) to clean a scored cylinder?

James
If you're running xp, go here and get the image resizer power tool. Only takes two clicks to resize your images and keep good quality.

Do you have Microsoft Picture Manager. It has "compress pictures" option that turns my 2Mg pics into 150k

Much better to upload them to AS - then they become permanent... and far less painfull on dial up users than large images.

Load Microsoft's free resizer - use 800x600 - most of my 2meg images end up as 50-70k.

heck, I'd set the jpg limit to 100K... Many sites have 50K limits... and dump BMP - anyone that can't convert to jpeg can go away!

If you use outlook express for your e-mail. Right click on your picture, send to, mail recipient, then let it resize your pictures and e-mail them to yourself. Now these should be more than small enough to post.

It isn't the most high tech way to do it, but if you can send an e-mail then you can resize your pictures. :cheers:

.. and then at some point you delete your photobucket files or account, all the pics you posted go away.... and posting large images to photobucket still impacts the dialup (and slower broadband) downloaders on AS.

Load Microsoft's free resizer - use 800x600 - most of my 2meg images end up as 50-70k.[/QUOTE]

OK i used this one and some of the pics still not small enough, now what?

Huh? No idea.. Works perfectly for me and everyone else I know...
I assume you are accessing the resizer from "right mouse click"?

1) what size image did you start with?
2) what image format are you using (hopefully .jpg.. not some raw format...)

or...

Did you post the resized image or the orginal... the resized image will have the same file name, but with (medium) after the name. Like DSC_5010(medium).jpg. The orginal file is untouched.

Last edited:
I use Adobe Photoshop and save them at a lower resolution. Simple to do, if you have Photoshop...

Bitmap files? Yah, they could be done away with.

The physical size of a picture doesn't necessarily have to do with the file size. You can have the same picture being smaller than it's original and still be a larger file size. Resizing affects the physical size of the picture, which is good because large pictures are a pain to view having to scroll left-right up-down. If you want to have the picture a smaller file size, it needs to be optimized or "compressed".

There is an online free version of a program called JPEG Wizard where you can have picture compressed... or called image compression. This will reduce your picture file size. While there you can also physically make the picture smaller if you like as well. Remember, reducing picture size and reducing the file size are two different things, but sometimes don't have much to do with each other... as you can physically reduce a picture size, but it can retain much of it's file size. I bought the software version of JPEG Wizard and love it. It's at JpegWizard.com. Use their free online version for image reducing and file compression.

Bitmap pics are a hog. LOL! Larger file size pictures take longer to download and view. It's not necessarily the physical size of the picture that determines the file size.

StihlRockin'

Last edited:
I use the highest MP on the Photo-Cam I can get, and if I have to post a pic here, I re-size whit the Freeware InfranView and upload it here on AS. :)
attachment.php

:greenchainsaw:

I use the highest MP on the Photo-Cam I can get, and if I have to post a pic here, I re-size whit the Freeware InfranView and upload it here on AS. :)
attachment.php

Sorry to be off topic guys but that is a nifty looking guide, who makes it and where can I look at one?

:confused:

By the way, I use InfranView also.. so I guess I am not totaly off topic

Last edited:
attachment.php

Here is that same picture after running through the microsoft power toy. Notice it's a fraction of the file size as yours, but is still a bigger physical size. :cheers:

attachment.php

Huh? No idea.. Works perfectly for me and everyone else I know...
I assume you are accessing the resizer from "right mouse click"?

1) what size image did you start with?
2) what image format are you using (hopefully .jpg.. not some raw format...)

or...

Did you post the resized image or the orginal... the resized image will have the same file name, but with (medium) after the name. Like DSC_5010(medium).jpg. The orginal file is untouched.

Even the Techno Dunce,,,, Yours Truly!!!!!!

attachment.php

can be trained to upload quality Photos!!!!!

attachment.php

Here is that same picture after running through the microsoft power toy. Notice it's a fraction of the file size as yours, but is still a bigger physical size. :cheers: QUOTE]

OK I'm sold, it was kind of hidden on the Microsoft page but it is only 521K so even on dial-up it shouldn't be to bad to get. It is so easy to use it's a no brain'er. Best part is it's free and doesn't add anything to your deasktop, just right click on the picture and pick :resize picture:

Thanks spacemule :cheers:

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back