posting pics is P.I.T.A.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
.. and then at some point you delete your photobucket files or account, all the pics you posted go away.... and posting large images to photobucket still impacts the dialup (and slower broadband) downloaders on AS.

The account is free. I have pictures on my account from MANY years ago. Just leave them up.

You can also set it to a smaller max picture size when you upload.

Who uses dial-up anymore anyways? I'd rather go to the library and read a book before I went back to dial-up.

The account is free. I have pictures on my account from MANY years ago. Just leave them up.

Who uses dial-up anymore anyways? I'd rather go to the library and read a book before I went back to dial-up.
Some don't have a choice and the nearest library is 75 miles away.

Not everyone leaves their pics, and that's why we end up with broken links on some very good AS threads..

Dial up? Almost everyone that doesn't have Cable TV or lives more than 3 miles from the telephone switch or DSL extender. It's easy to forget the "others".

Last edited:
Here is that same picture after running through the microsoft power toy. Notice it's a fraction of the file size as yours, but is still a bigger physical size. :cheers:

And.. even if you feed it the orginal 2 or 5M file, the end result will be close to the same final size.

Here is that same picture after running through the microsoft power toy. Notice it's a fraction of the file size as yours, but is still a bigger physical size. :cheers:

attachment.php

You can get low file-size whit InfranView also, but I like highest possible quality at all times, but that's me..
:greenchainsaw:

Last edited:
Dial up

I would love broadband but as of now I don't have it and can't get it.
People go on about posting pics being a P.I.T.A how about the poor unfortunates that take minutes to download them.
Easy to forget what dialup is like when you have BB, but downloading or upping at 48k is not the most productive use of ones time.

I can't seem to get a jpeg small enough in photoshop to make an avatar, no matter how low quality I go? Any suggestions?

You already have what you need to re-size.

Open your photo with MS paint under "All Programs" and "Accessories".

Once you have your photo opened in paint click on "Image" and then "Stretch/Skew" or just hit "Cntl-W". Change both the "Horizontal" and "Vertical" under "Stretch" to something less then 100%. Don't mess with the skew settings. Make sure both % settings are the same or you will skew the photo.

You can save as a BMP or a JPG or vise-versa. In other words you can convert one to the other. If you mess up click on "Edit" and then "Undo" or "Ctrl-Z".

Try setting it to 1% if you want to see small.

This works great for me and everyone on here running windows already has it on their computer, no downloads needed.

Sorry to be off topic guys but that is a nifty looking guide, who makes it and where can I look at one?

:confused:

By the way, I use InfranView also.. so I guess I am not totaly off topic

Husqvarna sells the file roller guides. They work great. They sell a 3/8, .325, and low-pro 3/8 pitch guides.

You already have what you need to re-size.

Open your photo with MS paint under "All Programs" and "Accessories".

Once you have your photo opened in paint click on "Image" and then "Stretch/Skew" or just hit "Cntl-W". Change both the "Horizontal" and "Vertical" under "Stretch" to something less then 100%. Don't mess with the skew settings. Make sure both % settings are the same or you will skew the photo.

You can save as a BMP or a JPG or vise-versa. In other words you can convert one to the other. If you mess up click on "Edit" and then "Undo" or "Ctrl-Z".

Try setting it to 1% if you want to see small.

This works great for me and everyone on here running windows already has it on their computer, no downloads needed.

Husqvarna sells the file roller guides. They work great. They sell a 3/8, .325, and low-pro 3/8 pitch guides.

The paint program doesn't do a good job of compression and is much more cumbersome and slow to use.

The paint program doesn't do a good job of compression and is much more cumbersome and slow to use.

The quality of a photo that has been re-sized with paint is more then adequate for downloading on the internet. Also a small Avatar photo is not what one would consider high quality anyways. My one and only complaint are the photos that are downloaded on here that are so large that you have to scroll left and right to see them. That's my one and only complaint but I can live with it.

I attached 3 sizes of the same photo so you can judge. All three were re-sized with "Paint". I agree, if I was re-sizing a bunch of photos in one sitting I would choose a different program but for the simple woodburner MS Paint is just fine.

I haven't looked into Spacemule's idea with the microsoft thing, but for those of you who aren't into the file size stuff, his first pic he demonstrated was 232kb and when it was compressed,(2nd picture) it went down to 67kb and suffered very little, if any, quality loss. That means theoretically it should download approx. 3 1/2 times faster after the compression. Visually speaking they look identical, but underneath are different. In fact, the 2nd picture is physically larger than the 1st, yet has a smaller file size... which equates to faster downloads. While may be a chore to at first get the program, in the end it's better for all to post a picture in fair physical size along with a moderate file size.

FYI

StihlRockin'

Can someone tell me why when I post a pix (upload from browse) from my computer, the attachment comes up but it has to be clicked on too see the pix? How do you get it to just be there open on the page?:monkey:

The quality of a photo that has been re-sized with paint is more then adequate for downloading on the internet. Also a small Avatar photo is not what one would consider high quality anyways. My one and only complaint are the photos that are downloaded on here that are so large that you have to scroll left and right to see them. That's my one and only complaint but I can live with it.

I attached 3 sizes of the same photo so you can judge. All three were re-sized with "Paint". I agree, if I was re-sizing a bunch of photos in one sitting I would choose a different program but for the simple woodburner MS Paint is just fine.
Goat, I wasn't talking about picture quality. I was talking about paint files being too large.

You are correct, you can use paint, and I have done so in the past before I found the image resizer. However, I highly recommend to anyone to download the resizer. It is much faster and easier to use, even when only doing one picture. Think of it as the difference between driving 10 miles to a store instead of walking 10 miles to the store. Sure, both work, but I know which one I'd do. :cheers:

Back