How to get a log out of a ravine. Redneck style.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Blakesmaster

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
The problem.
attachment.php

Our first attempt.
attachment.php

Our second attempt.
attachment.php

I think we need a winch. lol

A snatch block or two and some cables would have worked.

I pulled an 8ft section of green willow over 2ft diameter outof a ditch with just my F150 2x. Rigged for 4x ma.

Harry K

We only had one block, no cable but some real good rope. It took a few Coors Lights but we figured it out.

Before I got my 933 I used my 40hp compact tractor as a skidder. Trying to pull felled trees uphill didn't make it. Instead I'd chain up to the tree (log) so the chain was draped over the bucket. Back up (with the bucket in the dump position) until you start spinning your wheels. Now brake (and chock those wheels if need be) and rotate the bucket up. Lot's of leverage there and you'll inch that tree up hill. Once you run out of bucket, back up and lower the bucket back into the dump position. Brake and chock and rotate and repeat until the tree can be moved with just the tractor. Of course, this doesn't work if the tree hangs up on a stump or rock or digs itself into the ground.

Later,

Thanks....I sold it last year after having it for 25 years and it is killing me.

I know where it is and likely will try to buy it back when I get more room.

Good thinking Blakesmaster.

I have a block and a tenex eye sling that I've dedicated just for that.

Works great when you don't have a skidder.:)

Getting it floating is why you had success. The hook up in the tree is probably gonna cause some damage to it.

Pulled many a log up a ravine with my old 51 ford

attachment.php

I was aware the beech we used to hoist would not enjoy the sling. Had it been a customer's tree I would have taken extra precautions to cushion the bark more. I have a feeling that knocking out half the canopy with the hemlock I fell on it did more damage though. lol Had it been a customer they may have complained that half of their yard wound up on the hood of the dodge via the yota's mud slinging too. But we weren't really concerned about all that nonsense.

I have a Farmi 601 that would make short work of that. That is the ideal place to use one. Good work getting it done.

Scott

What kind of weights do you have bolted on the front of that thing to keep the steer tires on the ground? Right now, that looks like a wheelie-mobile.

It has more weight up front than you think but it has a spot where you can add some weight. If you don't the winch is strong enough to flip it over backwards like you said though. That piece measured out to 2k and it is nothing to drive around town with it which I often did.

Wreckers are not a bad choice for a tree biz. I modified the boom on this one to load into my flat dumps.

Tough biz to be in if you don't give a schit about trees. Wouldn't let you work on mine. Fukking up a beech and lol ing about it.....sad.

Never said I didn't care about trees, TV, so you can knock off your high and mighty, condescending attitude right now thank you very much. Do I care about that specific beech I tore up in the pics? No. It's one of many on our 73 acre parcel which is mostly wooded. Like I said it's not a customer's tree, it's mine, and I was more concerned with pulling enough hemlock out of the woods efficiently to side the cabin than I was with saving each individual tree on the property. Could I have run up the hemlock, sailed the top and taken off each log section to avoid any damage to surrounding vegetation? Yes. But there was no reason to waste that sort of time or energy to save one measly little beech that was essentially worthless. Seriously, get your head out of your ass.

Never said I didn't care about trees, TV, so you can knock off your high and mighty, condescending attitude right now thank you very much. Do I care about that specific beech I tore up in the pics? No. It's one of many on our 73 acre parcel which is mostly wooded. Like I said it's not a customer's tree, it's mine, and I was more concerned with pulling enough hemlock out of the woods efficiently to side the cabin than I was with saving each individual tree on the property. Could I have run up the hemlock, sailed the top and taken off each log section to avoid any damage to surrounding vegetation? Yes. But there was no reason to waste that sort of time or energy to save one measly little beech that was essentially worthless. Seriously, get your head out of your ass.

Tsk, tsk, its all sawdust lust.. maybe you should've gone with vinyl on that badboy! :laugh:

Back