First trip with two new saws.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Beetlekilled

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
A while back I got a lot of help from this website regarding a good choice of saw, chain, felling techniques, PPE etc. I needed this type of info to clear some areas of the 200ac my buddy and I bought in Kremmling, Co. I only had a limited amount of experience with a Echo 302s on small trees.

So after getting a 6401 (that may turn into a 7900) I realized how heavy it was to limb with after I cut down a small aspen around the house. Then bought a 5100 to handle the smaller trees and limb. The two saws work well and I can put my friends to work too.

Finally got to the property so I thought I would post some pics.

attachment.php

Home for 5 days
attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

Both saws worked well with LGX chain and I did get a tach because my house is a 6,000 ft and the property goes just over 10,000 ft. I read a lot about felling trees, but reading and doing are two different things. I learned to take my time on the back cut and things will go alot better. By the third day things were going a lot faster. We only worked in the morning. Wedges and rope helped big time when needed. The largest tree was 18 inches, just enough to bury the bar on the Makita. Got enough trees down to get a view and to throw some clays for the shotguns. Notice all the pine beetle kill. No lack of firewood. Lots more to do.

Hope the pics came out. First time for me and thanks Brmorgan for the clear instructions he posted. Now I need chainsaw mill, a bigger saw,..........

Looks like beautiful country. I would be concerned with all of the dead pines and the possibility of a fire. Can you do any fuel reduction work, or would it even make much of a difference in a pine forest? I think you need a csm next.....:)

Great pictures and nice property. Good luck with the saws and the land. Hope everything works out well for you.

Be safe,

Adam

Latest posts

Back