New saw decision

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

psquared

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
Hi guys,

I discovered this site last week and have enjoyed reading of your antics and opinions.

I need to replace my 18 +- year old Poulan 4000. It served me well, but it's tired and I want a newer, better saw. Most likely a Stihl MS260pro, 20" bar, or MS390 with a 24."

Here's my problem. I have the 4000 to use as a reference point as far as power with a 24" after-market bar goes, but I don't know the engine size cc, ci, or HP. Do any of you know?

It did amazingly well at lot clearing and fire wood cutting but I'l like to be able to compare it to a STIHL model (I can read your minds, no comparison humor me.) so I can make a buy decision.

Thanks for your help.

Welcome to the site!

Information about your current saw is found here.

Since it was a torquey 65cc saw that was legitimately capable of pulling a 24" bar, your best choices in the current Stihl lineup would be a 361, 390, or 440/441. Skip the 260Pro, it's at its best with a 16" bar and even then it's no powerhouse.

For the occasional saw user, the 390 will do just fine. They're reliable as gravity. For a few bucks more you can get into the 361, which is a lighter, faster, pro-grade (ie: magnesium case, vertically-split crankcase, bolt-on cylinder) saw. The 440 and 441 would be about the same size and weight as your current saw (maybe even a bit lighter), but with a LOT more power than you're used to.

If you are willing to look beyond Stihl, the 64cc saw (or 73cc or 79cc...) from Dolmar, the 6400, is a torquey pro-grade saw that I think might be closer to what you're used to running in terms of how it handles. It makes an honest 4.8hp before you open the muffler up, which is good for another .25hp or so I'd guess. You can get them new for $450 or less, and used from HomeDepot's rental department for about $220. Here it is in Makita colors:

resized_HD_6401_Makita_02a.jpg

Last edited:
Dang, ComputerUser you typed clicked faster.:chainsaw:

Clean saw,very nice.

Last edited:
here's something you need to learn if you are going to be on this site.
the saw youu want is not made
the saw you need is not made.
you need a dozen saws to get by now. :D
-Ralph

No matter what saw you have, someone here will say it's junk.
No matter what saw you want, somewhere here will say it's junk and tell you what saw you REALLY need.
Someone else will call THAT saw junk.

go to your dealers and check out all the models in 50cc and up and buy the one you like the most STIHL 361, 440, 441,HUSQVARNA 357xp, 372xp, 575xp and DOLMAR 6400 and 7900 would all be acceptable for what you require. make sure you get a good deal try to get case chains and oil thrown in after he quotes you a price.

Good feedback

Thanks for the feedback. It helped. (actually it helps me want a more expensive saw) I had counted $500 as approaching the limit, an MS390.

It was so long ago that I bought the poulan 4000 I had no recollection of what size it was. 65 cc explains the performance in 40"+ oak logs. Those are a rare exception by the way.

Many of you seem to have little reservation toward buying used saws. A good deal on a used pro saw could certainly be to my advantage but I am hesitant to take a chance at getting stuck with someone else's problems, even so, I'll look into it.

There are about 8 Stihl dealers within 20 miles and others that sell husky.

dont forget dolmar. a much bigger saw can be had for less money if your local dealer is the kind of dealer that stocks and sells saws.

from dolmarusa site:

DOLMAR dealer in your area

Your search has produced one result.
You can select either an entry directly from the list or a logo on the map.
Distance
11 mi
Name
BREMAR RENTAL INC
Address
CT-06019 CANTON
364 ALBANY TURNPIKE

Begleytree,

They look pretty good, I'll check-em out this weekend. I know where that dealer is, there is one in the next town over also. I bet I can test drive one, since he rents them.

I'm outa here,thanks again.

4000 replacement

I own a Poulan 4000 and when it came time to get a new saw I bought the Dolmar 7900. Buy one you'll love it but then you'll want/need a Dolmar 5100 for the smaller stuff. The 7900 is about the same weight as the Poulan 4000 but with a couple more HP, way faster in the wood and it has a chainbrake as opposed to the 4000 with it's chain catcher flap. Did I mention it also has far better anti-vibe than the 4000?

I like that bar you have. I just ordered a bar but thought I'd get a little creative with the old Carlton bar I had while waiting until it gets here...

p3200002ot6.jpg

It's weird how when it's outside the saw looks blue but in my garage it looks more green-ish ...

But I will say that the 6400 is a strong saw IMO.

Done deal its a ......MS361

After looking into Echo, Dolmar, Husky, and several Stihl models I bought a MS361 with a 24" bar yesterday. I ran it for a couple of hours; what a nice handling saw. Lower vibration and lighter than the Poulan 4000 I replaced. Didn't get into anything big or tough cutting like red oak that will give me a power comparision but I think this will be faster. So far it looks to be exactly what I wanted

:clap: 24" bar by the way is not so much for big trunks, as for less bending when bucking smaller stuff and limbing as I'm tall and it's easier on the back.
For a steady diet of bigger trees, the 361 would be a bit light.

After looking into Echo, Dolmar, Husky, and several Stihl models I bought a MS361 with a 24" bar yesterday. I ran it for a couple of hours; what a nice handling saw. Lower vibration and lighter than the Poulan 4000 I replaced. Didn't get into anything big or tough cutting like red oak that will give me a power comparision but I think this will be faster. So far it looks to be exactly what I wanted

:clap: 24" bar by the way is not so much for big trunks, as for less bending when bucking smaller stuff and limbing as I'm tall and it's easier on the back.
For a steady diet of bigger trees, the 361 would be a bit light.

:cheers:

Maybe grab a loop of Stihl RSF or Bailey's Woodsman Pro 30 RCS skip chain for the bigger wood, but you'll likely be very happy with that saw!

RSF skip chain

XJ,
I took you advice and bought a loop of skip chain. I used on an oak and a hard maple with trunks over 36 inches. What a difference. A full cut with rsc chain bogged the saw down, the skip chain lets me keep the rpm up and blows right through. Also great for ripping the pieces in half to make it easier to move them around on the log splitter.

Thanks (belated) for the suggestion. I have never seen skip chain used around here. I spoke to a tree service owner today, been at it about 40 years. never uses it. What's the alternative heavier saws and more HP? My closest Still dealer (low volume also-ran dealer) said he has never sold a loop.

These guys must not read this site. Of course, this is CT, not exactly big timber country.

Last edited:
XJ,
I took you advice and bout a loop of skip chain. I used on an oak and a hard maple with trunks over 36 inches. What a difference. A full cut with rsc chain bogged the saw down, the skip chain lets me keep the rpm up and blows right through. Also great for ripping the pieces in half to make it easier to move them around on the log splitter.

Thanks (belated) for the suggestion. I have never seen skip chain used around here. I spoke to a tree service owner today, been at it about 40 years. never uses it. What's the alternative heavier saws and more HP? My closest Still dealer (low volume also-ran dealer) said he has never sold a loop.

These guys must not read this site. Of course, this is CT, not exactly big timber country.

Full Skip chain is very popular out here in the PNW because we tend to use longer bars than others. Less cutters to file when sharpenin' too.:)

Gary

361+25" bar in hardwood=yuck!!!

I don't like that saw with a 20" bar in hardwood. If Stihl I'd look 441 or 460. Husky 372. Dolmar 7900.

Edit: Doh! Old post....

Last edited:
361 great firewood saw

For cutting 4-5 cords of firewood a year, including an occasional large tree, it's just I wanted, and as much as I want to lug around.

Back