saw hype..any one disappointed when they tried one out for themselves?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hori

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I was just wondering if people could chime in when CAD kicks in and you read about all these hyped of reviews of people with their brand new saws.... and when you finally try one out for yourself you went meh...:( and were disappointed.. Lots of talk about the 346xp ne especially...and also 5100s, stihl 361 etc..or whatever. I am just curious..

I personally found the 5100 disappointing. I'm not really sure why. Same with a stock or even muffler modded 260. In no way are my comments meant to be interpretted as brand bashing. Just my opinion. I never ran my 346 without a muffler mod, but it amazed me from the first tank of fuel with the bar buried in frozen hardwood.

A stock 361 will likely disappoint. It's another saw that MUST have a muffler mod. It also finds itself between some fine 50cc saws and the much more powerful 70cc saws, my favorite class of saws.

A stock Redmax 3800 will seriously disappoint. Mod the muffler though and it's a new ballgame.

The Dolmar 7900 will have the opposite affect. It will supercede your expectations. It's just that strong of a saw right out of the box.

NE346xp/2153 and 7900/7901 both lived up to my expectations and then some. The only one that did not was a 372xp/2171, just wasn't all that impressed, great saw but I expected more. These were all stock saws too...

Mike

262XP is all the hype and then some too....

I personally found the 5100 disappointing.
:agree2:

5100s!! After reading all the hype on that one I almost regretted buying a 361. I jumped at the chance to run one and honestly thought I was given a dud. Followed it with a 346xp and WOW! That may have been the saw I should have bought but wouldn't trade my 361 for it.

Last edited:
I would have to say the biggest for me is the MS260...For the life of me I can't get into that saw...I bought one for my dad b/c he is getting up there in age and thought it would be a nice replacement to his old echo's...I would take a muffler modded 290/310/390 over one anyday...Modded they are a totally different saw, but still not on my favorite list...

The only one that did not was a 372xp/2171, just wasn't all that impressed, great saw but I expected more. These were all stock saws too...

I ran them both and agree with you. The 372 was well used, so it gets excused. The 2171 ran great but I expected more. Still like my 361 better.

It seems when modded, they become different animals though.

What is ment by disappointed? Bought a Husky 55, told it was a good mate for my husky 162SE. I was disappointed to find I had the EPA model and the thing didn't last long before it went to the junk pile.

Kept hearing how great Jonsereds were. Bought a 2159 to replace the 55. With in 15 miniutes I wished I would have bough some thing else. It is 90degrees out and you have to wear a glove (more like a oven glove) as the exhust is right under your hand and leaks thru between the main cover and the chain break.

In 6 months the plastic in the chain break broke and the dealer wants my first born for that part.

In two years the chain oiler stopped pumping. there went the second born.

On the plus side it cut OK with the 18 inch bar & chain that came with it. but was like buying a new bigger saw when I replaced it with a 16 inch bar and chain.

Funny I find my self grabbing a 30 year old saw when ever I need to use one.

:D Al

I found the 2156 disappointing it really did not seem to be any more powerful than the 2159, I also bought the 2159 I had run both they were new and had never been run before but the price diff made me get the 2159.I also bought the saw I ran that day.

For me it was a stock Stihl 460 (second place is the 361, waaay over-hyped). Maybe I was expecting too much of the 460, but the cutting speed didn't win me over. On the other hand, the 7900 has always left me grinning ear to ear even from day one.

+1, love the 7900 and the 262
I got my 7900 from The guy's in NY and it came on a cold winter day. It was so light in the box it came in I thought they did not send the bar!.Worst thing was it bogged when I hit the throttle you would think the apposite being sent from sea level to 4000' A slight twist of the L screw and I have never touched it again. I was going to order the full Wrap handle for it but all I am cutting these day's is wind blown trees no felling.
I promise, Cutting Scott Cutting Edge I will get that handle and I will get it from you guy's! Now can you bend me one strait too match my Jreds?
The 7900 blew me away it's everything it is made out to be!!!

Last edited:
For me it was a stock Stihl 460 (second place is the 361, waaay over-hyped). Maybe I was expecting too much of the 460, but the cutting speed didn't win me over. On the other hand, the 7900 has always left me grinning ear to ear even from day one.

I love my MS460, but if I had to do it over again I would buy the 7900...Maybe I will buy one of the Makita's w/ the BB that Baileys have on sale right now...:D

went from a jred 2054 to a ms260 and wasnt happy..then i really wasnt happy after the flippy cap thing dumped a tank of fuel on my nuts and chaps.
im ok with it now...ive been seeing a therapist.

Ms 460 kind of disappointed me stock and it really disappointed me when it cam back from WHS. The 7900 was the total opposite, it really would outcut the modded 460. My 660 was kinda lacking in torque until I found the 8 pin sprocket on it using a 32" bar.

I've never run an 026/260 that did anything for me. I bought a 346xpoe based on the hype, modded the heck out of it, never got it where I wanted it, sent it to a guy to have him tell me what was wrong and he called within two hours of getting it to buy it. Go figure?
I think the Husky 350 was the sleeper in the 50cc class. Never run a 5100 or 346xpne, so I can't say.
After running a 361 and an 044, I can't believe they dumped the 440! I liked the 044/440!! The 361 left me wanting a bit more, it cut fine, but for no more difference in weight, I'll take the power the 044 gives thank you!
And yes, I agree, the 262xp is all that!

NE346xp/2153 and 7900/7901 both lived up to my expectations and then some. The only one that did not was a 372xp/2171, just wasn't all that impressed, great saw but I expected more. These were all stock saws too...

Mike

262XP is all the hype and then some too....
As much as I love my Jreds, I am glad for a big saw I got the 7900! the thing is a beast!So light and powerful.But i still would like a Jred 80 for a big saw.

I've been very happy with most of the saws I've bought. My 371 naturally didn't thrill me anymore after I got a couple 7900s, but it was great up till that.

The one saw that I got to say I am lukewarm about for the money is my 339ne. Same price as my 346ne and just not in the same class - even taking into account the ccs.

Smooth and balanced, but just not that peppy or snappy - my $140 ebay redmax 4000 is snappier and stronger for example. The 339ne starts good and runs okay - seems well made - but just doesnt seem to have the snot it should.

And having the airfilter in the front makes for dirty airfilters pretty quick.

One other saw I was sort of disappointed with was my first 3120 before I swapped out the 9.6 k coil. That hammering drove me nuts. Love it now, though (even bought another one).

Latest posts

Back