saw hype..any one disappointed when they tried one out for themselves?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I ran a muffler modded Husky 390 and I wanted to like it because of the anti-vibe, but man it just felt and sounded like a cheap buzz box. It cut wood fine, which is what they are suppose to do, I know, but it felt like it wouldn't last very long doing it.

I have not ran many of my Stihls in stock form so I don't or haven't had to experience the "let down", LOL. I buy them, then have them modded and then run them, LOL.

I liked the 361 before the porting and love it afterwards. My 260 and 441 were never even started in stock form, so I can't say if I would have been dissapointed.

The 084 in stock form was torquey but slow reving, after porting it is scary, LOL.

I ran the one 660 in stock form and after the ported, big bore kit is is very powerful with a great grin factor.

Sam

I am thinking about buying a Dolmar a dealer in my home town is now selling them looks like a good nice saw but don't know alot about them any feedback would be appreciated.am thinking about the 7300 or 7900

This is the largest display of Dolmar OPE that I know of...

attachment.php

Maybe 20 sq. ft.

Dolmar has to get their act together and find some dealers willing to stock product.

The specs on the ps-341 (33cc) make it sound like it shouldn't compete with the 339. The specs of the 339 seem to compare more closely to the 401.

Do you really mean 341? I am just a little confused, is all.

Yes, I mean the 341. Keep in mind that I'm running short (12") bars, and use them just for limbing - 3" diameter, maybe a bit more, max. Under those conditions, I don't see a big difference in performance. The Husky cuts faster due to the higher RPM, but the Dolmar cuts better from throttle-on because it has more low end torque.

I suppose if I routinely cut 8" wood I'd probably see a marked difference, but not in the small stuff for which the saws were purchased.

(On the other hand, comparing the 341 to an Echo model of similar displacement, the CS-346, is like night and day - the Dolmar just blows it out of the water. I won't anger the Creamsicle Brigade by relating how the Dolmar does side-by-side with an MS180...)

Last edited:
Same here. I was totally unimpressed with my "new" 084 when stock. Modded....well, that's another story entirely!

Running the new MS 880 was that way. Till about seven tanks full they were dogs. After that they seemed to really come alive, but they were heavy and cutting performance was nothing to write home about.

Then the big wood jobs started coming in, the kind of work these saws were made for. You can sink a whole 60" bar on an MS 660 into oak and get the job done. But do the same, or even bigger wood, with the 880 and it will put a grin on your face.

Mr. HE:cool:

This is the largest display of Dolmar OPE that I know of...

attachment.php

Maybe 20 sq. ft.

Dolmar has to get their act together and find some dealers willing to stock product.

After I bought my 6401 on e-bay and converted it to a 7901 I needed an anti-vibe spring. Went into the nearest Dolmar dealer I could find and his display was similar, except it was dusty and neglected. Told him what I needed and he couldn't find it. Said he never had to deal with a 'monster saw' before. Ended up getting it through Fastenal.

Was pretty disappointed w/ 361 when dealer let me take loaner home for a weekend. That was quickly followed up by 2159 that I bought and it spent more time in the shop for the first year than it did in wood. I will say performance wise there wasn't much difference in the two...considering I got the 2159 for 200 bucks less than I could have bought the 361.

9 saws 5 different brands any 1 of em run better some days than others. if i'm just makin trees fit in the stove i just put up with it ,grab anouther 1 or pull out the pocket screw driver. i think people let the're emotions do ther thinkin sometimes. if YOU like your saw who gives a crap what others think. some people will buy a saw they know ther gonna hate just so they can bash it. but its all good, anyone thats into saws cant be all bad.

Dolmar 166. Great saw but, not near as ferocious as some would lead you to believe. No, the chainsaw gods did not bless it with any extra ordinary capabilities that other similar saws in it's class don't already possess.

Dolmar 166. Great saw but, not near as ferocious as some would lead you to believe. No, the chainsaw gods did not bless it with any extra ordinary capabilities that other similar saws in it's class don't already possess.

I would have bet money that is what you where going to say...:cheers:

I'm going to run and hide before that lightning hits you.:hmm3grin2orange:

Mr. HE:cool:

I was disappointed with the 361 and the 5100, both bought new and both stock.
But that does not mean that they are not very good saws, I just have other saws that I like better.

I am impressed most with the 7900 and the 026.:cheers:

Latest posts

Back