saw hype..any one disappointed when they tried one out for themselves?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
:popcorn:
I've never run an 026/260 that did anything for me. I bought a 346xpoe based on the hype, modded the heck out of it, never got it where I wanted it, sent it to a guy to have him tell me what was wrong and he called within two hours of getting it to buy it. Go figure?
I think the Husky 350 was the sleeper in the 50cc class. Never run a 5100 or 346xpne, so I can't say.
After running a 361 and an 044, I can't believe they dumped the 440! I liked the 044/440!! The 361 left me wanting a bit more, it cut fine, but for no more difference in weight, I'll take the power the 044 gives thank you!
And yes, I agree, the 262xp is all that!
I like how the 026/260 handles it is a very light compact saw but even stock I would take my 2152 over it Just seams to idle way better and jump up to full throttle faster and is much smoother to use no numb hands after a day of cutting. Having run the old 346 I guess it's good for a guy or gal that climbs trees, a real aborist, but not a firewood cutter it just lost all balls in wood over 14''bucking thats compared to my 50 cc Jred not impressed with that one. Would love to try the new one though. No slam on the 026/260 I would like to have a ported one for short term cutting.
But like all Stihls get with the program it has only been the last three years that they made a smooth running no vibe saw! okay the 361 has been out longer but why do you think people, okay Stihl heads, like it because it runs and feels like a Jred!:popcorn:

Last edited:
346NE with cat muffler on it really was disappointing ........It runs better with non cat muffler .................I like the 2153 better as far as looks ......

346NE with cat muffler on it really was disappointing ........It runs better with non cat muffler .................I like the 2153 better as far as looks ......

I think that applies to all saw's lol! Jreds are hot red heads Now silver tops are like hot Cougars?

disappointed with 260 i know i know here it comes! Happy as punch with 460 and the stock 361 imo is a very strong saw as well.Not racing them just work

Last edited:
The one saw that I got to say I am lukewarm about for the money is my 339ne. Same price as my 346ne and just not in the same class - even taking into account the ccs.

Smooth and balanced, but just not that peppy or snappy - my $140 ebay redmax 4000 is snappier and stronger for example. The 339ne starts good and runs okay - seems well made - but just doesnt seem to have the snot it should.

+1 on the 339. I bought one after being somewhat influenced by Sawtroll's passion for the model, and wish I hadn't. Didn't like the handling at all, and the engine has very little low end torque. It does run at high RPM, so once it gets up to speed it cuts very quickly, but it also bogs easily.

I replaced it with a Dolmar PS-341, which despite having a tad less displacement has more torque and a flatter powerband. Handles better too. The 339 sits in my garage collecting dust; one of these days it's going on THeBay and I'll be shed of my only saw disappointment.

Last edited:
372 XP

Not a bad saw but found it lacking after being used to the PS7900. Just didn't float my boat, no matter how much I ran the 372 XP I was always grabbing the PS7900 after a short while.

The saw that surprised me recently was the 576XP. Got a loaner for a weekend last spring and that saw really reminds me of a lighter, higher reving 281XP. Won't be trading the 7900 in but if I ever find a deal on one I just may grab it.

Take Care

385xp, gutless for 85cc at first, woke up pretty good after 8 to 10 tanks. Steve

:agree2:

I had the same experience with mine. Was disappointed at first but am pretty happy with it now. I consider it to be a pretty torquey saw for its displacement and it fills a very definite niche for me and how I use my saws.

Scott

I was always wondering what all the hype was for the 026/260. I ran one next to my old 46cc Craftsman and it didn't seem all that much faster. I would like to run it next to my J-Red 2150.

Another saw that I hear allot about are the Poulan 3400/3700. I don't know if its the one I'm running or what, but mine doesn't impress.

went from a jred 2054 to a ms260 and wasnt happy..then i really wasnt happy after the flippy cap thing dumped a tank of fuel on my nuts and chaps.
im ok with it now...ive been seeing a therapist.

:hmm3grin2orange::hmm3grin2orange::hmm3grin2orange::hmm3grin2orange:

The most I've ever been disappointed was with the Stihl MS361, I sold it within a few months. I still like the 066/660 series saws the most.

I am thinking about buying a Dolmar a dealer in my home town is now selling them looks like a good nice saw but don't know alot about them any feedback would be appreciated.am thinking about the 7300 or 7900

I loved the 371XP when I first got it, even though it lacked a bit of torque for our hardwood.
There is more to a saw than power and the 371XP I found to be a well balanced, smooth saw to run with awesome filtering ability.
I did a basic port job to a big bore kit and muffler mod and now can't fault this saw.

The 385XP once again was a nicely balanced saw etc, but lacked regardless of how many tanks put through her and again that awesome filtering ability.
Once again a basic port job and muffler mod has transformed the saw.

There is more to a good saw than power alone.
Filtering.
Antivibe.
Balance.
Feel etc.

I know modding is not everybody's cup of tea, but it worked for me to transform some great saws into brilliant saws.

The Dolmar 7900 is a great saw right out of the box. I like mine best out of the saws I have. It has the best power to weight of any saw I have ever run. I would like to port my 372xpw and see how it compares. Then I will probably have to port the 7900.

I had an 064 that was kind of disappointing also. It didn't seem to have great power for its size.

All the talk on AS about the Husky 346XP is accurate. I am on my fourth tank of mix and I STILL cannot wrap my mind around how fast this thing cuts. I cannot imagine a better saw made than this one. I don't know how I got this far in life without one. I haven't been in a trance this long since the day after my first Pink Floyd concert.:rockn:

I was not impressed with the 361 or the 346. The 361 was a decent saw but could'nt keep it from flooding all the time and had no more power than any other 60cc saw that I've ran.
As for the 346 it's way over hyped too. It's balance is way off in my opinion and I sure don't see where it has any more power than the 026/260.
I also was not impressed with the 660 either. 92 cc that cost $1000 new and could'nt even hang with my 85cc poulan off of ebay for $40. My next large saw will be... well, I don't know what it will be.
I'm not saying that these saws are not good saws. But their not for me.

+1 on the 339. I bought one after being somewhat influenced by Sawtroll's passion for the model, and wish I hadn't. Didn't like the handling at all, and the engine has very little low end torque. It does run at high RPM, so once it gets up to speed it cuts very quickly, but it also bogs easily.

I replaced it with a Dolmar PS-341, which despite having a tad less displacement has more torque and a flatter powerband. Handles better too. The 339 sits in my garage collecting dust; one of these days it's going on THeBay and I'll be shed of my only saw disappointment.

The specs on the ps-341 (33cc) make it sound like it shouldn't compete with the 339. The specs of the 339 seem to compare more closely to the 401.

Do you really mean 341? I am just a little confused, is all.

5100s i was disappointed big time by the handling but i still have it 361 not impressed by the handeling or the weight for the power sold it after two weeks now the 346xp its all its cracked up to be and then some:givebeer:

I bought a new 026 years ago and was constantly going back to the dealer to re-tune it. Got tired of that and traded it for a new 029 Super. The 029 worked great for years. Now I realize that the dealer robbed me on that trade, but still, the 029 was a great saw. Have since learned how to tune a carb.
Now I have a 361 and love it. Also a 6401 with the 7901 kit. Awesome.

Back