Post your helpful chainsaw/cutting tips and tricks.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Arrowhead

RARE BREED
Reaction score
Sometimes the simplest little technique makes life a lot easier when it comes to working on or cutting with chainsaws. If you "discovered" something simple that helps out, post it. Even if you think think its minor or if you think everybody else is already doing it, who cares, post it. I'm sure everybody had that why didn't I think of that earlier thought before. Whether its tools or techniques. A couple small things I do when I cut are, I use a plastic milk crate for my gas can, gallon of bar oil, and I save empty gear lube bottles for bar oil. They all fit in the crate nicely. The gear lube bottles are easy to fill at home from the gallon, and are great to use when filling the saw in the woods, no mess. When I cut I pull a 14' wood trailer with me. Where I cut there are a lot of cornfields and wood lots, so after the fields are picked I can usually get the truck and trailer close to where I'm working. I mounted a portable air tank on the tongue of the trailer with about 5 feet of hose and a blowgun on the end. This will reach the tailgate where I like to gas and oil. I use the blow gun to clean all the saw dust away from the filler caps before I open them. It does not take much air and will last all day. Yes, very minor things, but they help.

I carry an ammo can with me that has:

No less than 4 extra,sharp chains,

A couple of bottles of ultra

Both flavors of screnches

T-handle t-27 torx

Tuning screwdriver

Comp. gage

Extra torx bolts and bar nuts

Files

Strong neyodyminium magnet for finding wayward parts in the grass

Assorted small hand tools

All in an airtight case that you can throw in the back of the truck without worry of dampness or loss.:cheers:

I carry an ammo can with me that has:

No less than 4 extra,sharp chains,

A couple of bottles of ultra

Both flavors of screnches

T-handle t-27 torx

Tuning screwdriver

Comp. gage

Extra torx bolts and bar nuts

Files

Strong neyodyminium magnet for finding wayward parts in the grass

Assorted small hand tools

All in an airtight case that you can throw in the back of the truck without worry of dampness or loss.:cheers:

Great ideas, I really like the magnet idea. I will be putting one in the tool box.

Great ideas, I really like the magnet idea. I will be putting one in the tool box.

+1
The magnet really makes sense.

I like to take a little squirt bottle of bar oil with me, as well as one of those bar channel cleaners. When changing chains, I scrape the bar channel clean and give it a shot of oil before the new, sharp chain goes on.

I run a plastic Craftsman tool box that carries all the above but I put my tach in there also just incase I need it.

I like the air tank idea. Is it mounted permanately? Just wondering what you do in the cold so the tank doesn't obtain water?

I have made my own screnches (if you weld) that have a long sturdy screwdriver shaft (for gas and oil caps) with a 3/8 socket adapter perpendicular in the middle of my scrench (to accept sockets for spark plug and chain tensioners) and at the other end of screwdriver blade (grinded/ cut off end) I weld on a drill apex (for hex, allen, small flat and #2 philips bits, custom welded file bits I made to fit it). Keep a pouch on you, for sockets and bits when in the air and/or a small, say 11" x 4" x 2" box to hold just about anything you would need for normal fixes, instead of a tackle box worth.
--Side bar-- I bought a couple of the TopSaw Multi-tools.... great idea, just made real cheaply. Things like the fold out screwdriver, was like tin and the allen was twisted and bent at the working end(brand new). China made?
I will still keep my system to use with the TopSaw and see which works best and/or longest. ( I may lose parts interchanging, on my system... But I made mine. It's not going to brake with the quality of parts I used/welded together)--

The tackle box of chains and larger items stays by the gas and bar oil. If you pack into spots or get far from the trailer, a canvas type, encased tackle box with shoulder strap or backpack frees up one hand/arm. Tie a chord on a gallon of oil to hook over the gas spout. With this set up I can strap an axe on the backpack with all the tools and wedges inside, saw in one hand, gas and oil in the other, PPE on head, go balanced and comfortable, if need be anywhere. Light and fully supplied. -- you can load a couple of gear lube bottles with the bar oil and they'll carry easier than a gallon bottle, also/if need be.

Everyone trial and errors their own system to work in their world. If you take anything away from this, " Glad to here it! or help!" :cheers:

sawchain trumps all. (just something to remember).

now on to the tools/tricks...

yes, surplus metal ammo cans are the best. i'm using them for more and more things. take some time and make organizers for 'em.

i need a handy way to keep my tuning fork (small screwdriver) handy whilst bundled up and sawing. keep "losing" it in my pocket and don't want to knock it off/out of external scabbord...any ideas?

here's another one that someone may have a good solution for--helmet stowage. darn thing is in the way all the time i'm not wearing it. i've learned to fold the ear cups back but...

been sawing osage orange for three days in this negative heat wave...

oh and i use a bicycle freewheel cleaning brush--like toothbrush only narrower with longer bristles. like this one only not so expensive: this is "pedros"
316J0DADGPL._SL500_AA280_.jpg

Last edited:
I have made my own screnches (if you weld) that have a long sturdy screwdriver shaft (for gas and oil caps) with a 3/8 socket adapter perpendicular in the middle of my scrench (to accept sockets for spark plug and chain tensioners) and at the other end of screwdriver blade (grinded/ cut off end) I weld on a drill apex (for hex, allen, small flat and #2 philips bits, custom welded file bits I made to fit it). Keep a pouch on you, for sockets and bits when in the air and/or a small, say 11" x 4" x 2" box to hold just about anything you would need for normal fixes, instead of a tackle box worth.
--Side bar-- I bought a couple of the TopSaw Multi-tools.... great idea, just made real cheaply. Things like the fold out screwdriver, was like tin and the allen was twisted and bent at the working end(brand new). China made?
I will still keep my system to use with the TopSaw and see which works best and/or longest. ( I may lose parts interchanging, on my system... But I made mine. It's not going to brake with the quality of parts I used/welded together)--

The tackle box of chains and larger items stays by the gas and bar oil. If you pack into spots or get far from the trailer, a canvas type, encased tackle box with shoulder strap or backpack frees up one hand/arm. Tie a chord on a gallon of oil to hook over the gas spout. With this set up I can strap an axe on the backpack with all the tools and wedges inside, saw in one hand, gas and oil in the other, PPE on head, go balanced and comfortable, if need be anywhere. Light and fully supplied. -- you can load a couple of gear lube bottles with the bar oil and they'll carry easier than a gallon bottle, also/if need be.

Everyone trial and errors their own system to work in their world. If you take anything away from this, " Glad to here it! or help!" :cheers:

hey man, thanks for the h/u on the multi-tool, and for reminding me to make my own. if that's the tool that bailey's sells, do everyone a favor and rate it on their online catalog. the other rater says--it's heavy duty and no-nonsense engineered...5 stars. bah.

For your tuning screwdriver, get one with a pocket clip and keep it in a shirt pocket. Or, drill a hole in the handle, attach a loop of cord and a cheap carabiner to hook on your belt loops. Helmet goes on a gun rack.

I use a tool belt with a hatchet ($17 from lowes) in a framing hammer loop and a pouch with my felling wedges. It is soooo nice to not have to dig in my pockets for the wedges. The hatchet is priceless for sounding wood and driving wedges.

Keep all my small stuff in a 14" nylon pouch with zipper from northern tool, contents are:

- chain files are in drinking straws to keep them from rubbing and dulling.
- small bottle of whiteout to mark the link that I start with when filing
- stump vise
- raker files wrapped in paper
- screnches
- depth gauges

A separate first aid kit in a red lunch box in the truck includes the regular stuff plus a maxi-pad for heavy injuries and an epi-pen for when the hornets and bees get overly friendly.

i need a handy way to keep my tuning fork (small screwdriver) handy whilst bundled up and sawing. keep "losing" it in my pocket and don't want to knock it off/out of external scabbord...any ideas?

the ones from electrical supply houses ('tweakers', for adjusting electronic boards etc) usually have a pocket clip. Those were still a bit too small and delicate so I have another long bladed tweaker that I just taped a wooden spring type clothespin to the handle. That is big enough for clamping on thick pockets or suspender places.

yeah, the little clip is too frail for heavy work clothes. like the lanyard idea.

also, i've not used them yet, but i'm sawing out wedges from the stumps of the osage. report later.

I always take a second saw or at least an extra bar and chain in case I stick one. Hey guys we all do now and again. Saved my bacon a couple of times.

I usually wear Carhartt carpenter jeans climbing and the tweaker/screwdriver is on lanyard is the side thigh pocket. Never in my way and the lanyard to painters loop in case it tries to run away.
I have see a rubber hose attached to gaff sides for the tweaker, that they said it "might" fall out, maybe 1 in 50 trees.

Just a few ideas.

I always take a second saw or at least an extra bar and chain in case I stick one. Hey guys we all do now and again. Saved my bacon a couple of times.

I always have 2 saws with me - wouldn't think of spending the fuel and time to go to a cutting site without a backup saw. Used to be 2 Husky 350, now I usually take the 350 and 372.

Don't forget your splitting tools if you don't have other equipment - I have run into rounds that are just too big to muscle into the truck.

That's a given, at my base area!

I have no problem saying it, either! -lol-

here's another one that someone may have a good solution for--helmet stowage. darn thing is in the way all the time i'm not wearing it. i've learned to fold the ear cups back but...

Not sure what you mean by stowage. If you mean carrying it while not wearing it, try hanging it by a carabiner, maybe plus a short loop of paracord if you need an extension.

Back