Please critique my Square filing

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CaseyForrest

I am NOT a tree freak.
AS Supporting Member.
Reaction score
Ok, this is an old RS chain I originally turned into a ripping chain. Only filed once, and never used, so I didnt ruin it to much.

I already can tell I need to angle my file away from the raker a little bit more. And a little more down angle with the handle end of the file. The corner is still rounded off because I filed them at 5 degrees when I wanted it to be a ripping chain. I know a few more stroke with the square file and Id have it to a nice point.....

OK, Let the flaming begin!!!

attachment.php

attachment.php

Last edited:
Thanks Wally, that tooth is probably the tenth tooth I hit with the file. I think I got the hang of it. Just need more practice.

Im sure it'll be easier on a chain that is already square ground. This one I am cutting in new angles.

CaseyForrest said:
Thanks Wally, that tooth is probably the tenth tooth I hit with the file. I think I got the hang of it. Just need more practice.

Im sure it'll be easier on a chain that is already square ground. This one I am cutting in new angles.

You've got the bug! You've got the bug! :rolleyes:

Mark my words, your new 660 will be modded and running a pipe within the next 12 months...

LOL.....I wouldnt go that far!!! Would be nice to have it modded slightly, just for more tourque in the mill. But NO PIPE!! Id for sure get a visit from the police if I did that!!!

Did you get any of that Square?

Dayumm you Sap,lololol

Cassey has a chain he is very proud of in his hand Sap. It looks like he did a good job and all you can say is whats in the blue cooler, lolololol. Though funny as hell least say you noticed the chain Sap,lol....

CaseyForrest said:
LOL.....I wouldnt go that far!!! Would be nice to have it modded slightly, just for more tourque in the mill. But NO PIPE!! Id for sure get a visit from the police if I did that!!!

Did you get any of that Square?

Nope, no square yet. Heck, I haven't even had time to play around with the reworking the back side of the cutters on my round stuff yet. Maybe next week, since I have a few removals lined up and I'll be at the grinder anyway.

I am seriously thinking about piping the 7900, just for kicks, since my neighbors are rarely home anyway.

computeruser said:
Nope, no square yet. Heck, I haven't even had time to play around with the reworking the back side of the cutters on my round stuff yet. Maybe next week, since I have a few removals lined up and I'll be at the grinder anyway.

I am seriously thinking about piping the 7900, just for kicks, since my neighbors are rarely home anyway.

I dont think Im going to get into any cutting the backs off the cutters. I got the square ground because it looked like a challenge.

I attempted to sharpen one of the square ground chains I bought, I need more practice!!!

CaseyForrest said:
Thats allright Thall, its not a cooler.

Aww Sap was just pulling a good one there Cassey. He meant no harm on that one. Your chain job looks dayumm good from what I can tell. Let us know how that baby cuts.....

Back