Please critique my Square filing

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Kevin, if I PM you my email, can you send me that file that has the angle and terms?????

Steve, thats cool. I did buy a 361 from bcorradi here, its coming with a Stihl 20" and a brand new 18" GB Ti bar. SO I wont be short a bar. But still would like to have the 16" be my main bar for it.

I had some money in my paypal account, untill today. I will have more when my 460 sells. how much do you want me to send you?

Freakingstang said:
The file will take care of it, just gotta have the angle right....part of the learning pains.

for my quicker chains I try to keep the outside side plate at 85 degrees, the top plate at 25-30 degrees, the inside side plate at about 30 degrees. The inside top plate will be thinner, making for a chain that doesn't last as long, that is why I use these rough numbers for my play chains.

Madsens page with the angles work well for work chains, I just find myself using more aggressive angles.

-Steve

Now you have me all screwed up!!!! If your files angles cant be changed, and you are running 90 degrees on your outside side plate, wont that dictate your other angles as well?

Or does changing your outside top plate angle change everything else?

CaseyForrest said:
Now you have me all screwed up!!!! If your files angles cant be changed, and you are running 90 degrees on your outside side plate, wont that dictate your other angles as well?

Bingo, but the key is to change the angle of the file to meet one or more of the angles you want to change and still keep the other angles the same.

CaseyForrest said:

If you are holding the file the exact way as the way you did when you made the first set of angles, then yes it will change everything else. But it is all in the file angle placement....

I've got some chains that have a 35 degree top plate, and a 90 degree outside side plate. It is all in the placement of the file.

Did that confuse you, or make any more sense of the muddy waters? lol

CaseyForrest said:

There is a chance that this won't nail it at my first try, but changing the file to cut the out-side top plate from 90 - 85, should change the inside top plate from 50 - 45 deg. (or so)

Same for the inside top plate and the out-side top plate,,,,,,,

But a good place to start, is just keep the file just off the tie-strap and make sure the file disects excatly the working corner, use a Sharpie or Magic-marker to see were your file is removing metal and adjust your file and pressure to the working corner stay consistant.

There is not much you can do to make it cut slower then round filed chain, work to make it cut smothly and it will work out.

Kevin

Hey, Kevin, Steve, thanks for all your help!! Just want to get that out while I am still capable!!

I think I got the jist of it. That diagram from Madsens will help allot in getting a good base going, and from there I can play around.

What files do you all use? Are there different files with different angles? or all they all standard? I got 2 Vallorbe files when I bought the chains.

ShoerFast said:
Thats good, that means it's regerstering with me.

Keep the working corner first, the angles will fallow.

The working corner is the nutz to the square filed chain.

That does seem to be the factor that ties everything together.

Boy I sure missed alot One day you were hand filling and now I see you have a grinder.
Yep you got the bug bad.

04ultra said:
Casey you think were kidding around..Were here to learn you something so you can kick butt at the next GTG..

If Rick or EJ show up, whats the point???!!

Im not building a race chain....yet....It will probably take me a full day to get this square thing nailed down. My wife is gonna be pissed!!!

Back