Please critique my Square filing

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
CaseyForrest said:
attachment.php

Casey

Is there a slight side beak? (there is a shadow right at the spot to tell)

attachment.php

Side beaks will cut faster ther plum-square, but dull faster.

Intell it's modded like you want, run a taller deapth-gauge and add some stay sharp to the bar oil, and the saw will pick up a little snuff.

CaseyForrest said:
Yeah, Ive got 62 more cutters to do. That'll probably take me 4 days.

4 days,, dayumm Cassey, I hate to have to pay you by the hour to sharpen my chain,lol. Just messing with ya. That chain looks like it will fly through some wood...

ShoerFast said:
Casey

Is there a slight side beak? (there is a shadow right at the spot to tell)

attachment.php

Side beaks will cut faster ther plum-square, but dull faster.

Intell it's modded like you want, run a taller deapth-gauge and add some stay sharp to the bar oil, and the saw will pick up a little snuff.

It does appear you are right. I guess filing the gullet is something that should be done everytime it gets sharpened?

THALL10326 said:
4 days,, dayumm Cassey, I hate to have to pay you by the hour to sharpen my chain,lol. Just messing with ya. That chain looks like it will fly through some wood...

LOL...with two kids, and a demanding wife, free time is a rareity!!

Casey, Your Gullet is fine. You may have a slight Beak at the corner. But it is hard to tell in the pic. The proof is in the cutting. and it looks like it will cut good.

CaseyForrest said:
LOL...with two kids, and a demanding wife, free time is a rareity!!

October 7th you will be spending some free time at my house,LOL. Looks good Casey, I want to see it in person.
Brian has my saw done!!!
Mark

carvinmark said:
October 7th you will be spending some free time at my house,LOL. Looks good Casey, I want to see it in person.
Brian has my saw done!!!
Mark

Good deal!! What did Brian say was wrong? I was in there today picking up a pole saw, little Brian had left for the day, so I didnt get a chance to talk to him.

I MAY have that chain done by the 7th.

ShoerFast said:
If the gullet did interfear, it would trend the file toward the top-plate, making a top-beak.

Top-beaks don't cut.

Just so Im not confused...By side beak you mean I may have too much angle in relation to the file being perpendicular to the chain, right?

CaseyForrest said:
Good deal!! What did Brian say was wrong? I was in there today picking up a pole saw, little Brian had left for the day, so I didnt get a chance to talk to him.

I MAY have that chain done by the 7th.

I missed Brian too, not sure who I talked to but he said the crank seal behind the clutch was leaking. I'll talk to brian on Monday and find out the whole story.

You BETTER. LOL
Mark

carvinmark said:
I missed Brian too, not sure who I talked to but he said the crank seal behind the clutch was leaking. I'll talk to brian on Monday and find out the whole story.

You BETTER. LOL
Mark

There are three guys that work there, Brian (owner), little Brian and Mike. You probably talked to little Brian.

CaseyForrest said:
Just so Im not confused...By side beak you mean I may have too much angle in relation to the file being perpendicular to the chain, right?

No,,,,,,

The nutz to square filing, as I see it, is getting the corner of the file to disect the excate working corner of the chain,,,,,,

If the new filed corner is low, it will give you a beak that you can see from the side. (beak on the top plate, and cuts to beat hell, for a little while)

If the new filed corner is too high, it will make a beak that you can see from the top (beak on the side plate, won't cut worth beans)

Top-beak
attachment.php

GOTCHA!!!

Yeah, I saw that when I was done. I said in the original post I know I need to tilt the file away from the raker a little more, get the side and top cutter to meet at the point.

Thanks for the help Kevin.:clap:

Kris, Kevin is right, there is a slight beak. The working corner isn't aligned perfectly, it is a tad on the low side. It may cut good for a couple cuts, but the beak is too thin to hold an edge. It will dull very quickly.

You're side plate angle looks very good for a work chain. I would suggest getting a 16" bar for the GTG. Now for that chain, make the side plate angle steeper (hold file more out at the front of the tooth and file it towards the back rivet on the tooth. Now, there are two angles in the side plate. I mean for you to keep it close to 90 degrees, but make the inside of the side plate thinner. The top plate angle will be more, but it is all part of it. With a chain like this though, it isn't something you will take to the woods. And there are gains to be made in filing the back side of the cutter. The gullet needs to cleaned up too, but get your angles right before worrying about the gullet.

Looks very good for a beginner, but it takes much pratice to get all of them the same. How does the other side (right side) cutters look? That was one of the problems I had when learning, the side you have pictured was harder for me to file than the other side.

-Steve

Steve, Ive only gotten 10 cutters on one side done!!! Im sure 8 of those will need to be re-done.

When you say keep it at 90 degrees, are you talking about the area from the top cutter, down to where the side cutter angle shoots back towards the raker?

BTW....did you get that 3/8 tip?

CaseyForrest said:
Steve, Ive only gotten 10 cutters on one side done!!! Im sure 8 of those will need to be re-done.

When you say keep it at 90 degrees, are you talking about the area from the top cutter, down to where the side cutter angle shoots back towards the raker?

BTW....did you get that 3/8 tip?

Just so were all on the same page, I'm sure that Steve is talking about the outside top plate at 90 deg.

attachment.php

ShoerFast said:
Just so were all on the same page, I'm sure that Steve is talking about the outside top plate at 90 deg.

attachment.php

Yep, OUTSIDE SIDE PLATE.

No, I didn't make it down there to pick up the tip. I'm sorry. I got called to work early this morning and didn't get home until after he was closed. I have to get some parts for marks 2094. I think he thinks I forgot about them. Iwill get them this week before I leave for PA for a about 6 weeks.

CaseyForrest said:
Whats the inside side plate all about? It looks like something the square file wont take care of.....

Nevermind, I figured it out.

The file will take care of it, just gotta have the angle right....part of the learning pains.

for my quicker chains I try to keep the outside side plate at 85 degrees, the top plate at 25-30 degrees, the inside side plate at about 30 degrees. The inside top plate will be thinner, making for a chain that doesn't last as long, that is why I use these rough numbers for my play chains.

Madsens page with the angles work well for work chains, I just find myself using more aggressive angles.

-Steve

Back