GB Bars revisited...

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Big Neb

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
All right... after trying to find the orange "Titanium" ones with little success I've purchased a Pro Top white one.

My question is how do they compare?

I've heard good things about the "Titanium" bars but it seems that they are very difficult at best to find. The GB website doesn't even show them. Are they still being made? or did GB decide they weren't worth producing anymore?

Cutting Edge

All right... after trying to find the orange "Titanium" ones with little success I've purchased a Pro Top white one.

I've heard good things about the "Titanium" bars but it seems that they are very difficult at best to find. The GB website doesn't even show them. Are they still being made? or did GB decide they weren't worth producing anymore?

The dudes at the cutting edge in NY will ship'em to ya buddy and they give great deals on them and loops of chain. I've got 3 of'em, I won't buy another bar now that I've used them... I've done some really bad things to those bars and they stand up to almost anything where others would bend or break... :cheers:

Tn 40

I found out that the orange ones are TN 40's.;) :D :laugh: :rockn: :biggrinbounce2:

Odd, I've had several, some titanium, some Pro-Top, and some laminated. Was not impressed. Found them to bend easily....Have always had good luck with Oregon and Windsor...and of course Stihl bars which seem the best that I've used.

You got that right,,,,,,,

Odd, I've had several, some titanium, some Pro-Top, and some laminated. Was not impressed. Found them to bend easily....Have always had good luck with Oregon and Windsor...and of course Stihl bars which seem the best that I've used.

and from a pro-arborist stand point,,,,,Looking at my Bros and pops stuff you wont find anything but Oregon or Stihl bars on their saws,,,, I have one GB that came on my used DN 361 from Casey its ok for cutting cookies and I falled and bucked out about 11 trees with it at middle bros house but I wouldn't send it on a money job,,,, JMHO :rock: :rock: :rock: I have not seen a cn40 though,,,,, I might be persuaded if tha price was right

R2'ed

Last edited:
I have not seen a cn40 though,,,,, I might be persuaded if tha price was right
The CN-40 have much harder rails. To the point that chipping is a real problem in winter conditions. The early CN-40's had crappy tips IME, but GB must have changed the design as I havent had any trouble with them in several years. The cost of a CN-40 is nearly what I can buy a Stihl ES for so for Stihls saws I wouldnt even bother with em. For other brands they are a good bar, but for the extra money they cost it may be more cost effective to by Oregon or Windsor bars and replace as needed.
JUST IMO.

The CN-40 have much harder rails. To the point that chipping is a real problem in winter conditions. The early CN-40's had crappy tips IME, but GB must have changed the design as I havent had any trouble with them in several years. The cost of a CN-40 is nearly what I can buy a Stihl ES for so for Stihls saws I wouldnt even bother with em. For other brands they are a good bar, but for the extra money they cost it may be more cost effective to by Oregon or Windsor bars and replace as needed.
JUST IMO.

I don't really know, but I believe that is sound advice! :clap:

Anyway, we don't have much choise over here......

The GB bars are reputed to be quite heavy also, not good for balanse, imo....

Last edited:
I don't really know, but I believe that is sound advice! :clap:

Anyway, we don't have much choise over here......

The GB bars are reputed to be quite heavy also, not good for balanse, imo....

Well we cant have that!!!!!!!! especially with a busted ankle!!!!!

How are you doing with that Sawtroll???? are ya able to get around????

Crutches,,, Ehhhh????

Hope ya get well soon!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Crutches,,, Ehhhh????

Busted ankle????? Guess I missed that thread! That really sucks, been there done that, wouldn't wish it on anyone. Hope it heals up fairly fast, and heals up well so you have good mobility in the ankle. Mine's pretty good, (I was young and had a good surgeon) but I know a couple of guys with horror stories to tell, wound up with the joint fused (no more ankle)

I bought the 16" pro top GB and did not find it to be all that. The finish (paint) wore off very quickly and the rails showed signs of wear early on also. I prefer the Windsor speed tip (over my Stihl bar too) as it has proven to be an excellent bar.

These bars in the Carlton pro-champ variety have been just fine, no problems with them and appear to have been a heck of a deal from one of our fine sponsors. My 026 is real happy to have a 16 after 10years of 20' overwork.

Crutches,,, Ehhhh????

Someone suggested to put me down, but I think I will survive......;) :sucks:

Latest posts

Back