024 hard start

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jg1

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Takes about 20 pulls to get it started the 1st time. Once it fires will start in 3 pulls or less the rest of the day. Let is set a day or so same thing (20 pulls) until started.

Other than that everyting is good. Any suggestions?

Thank you for your time.

starting

I've experimented with several things with the 024, but "normally" I do it this way, choke until saw hints at and/or actually starts (2-3 pulls on 026 or 028), choke off and crank again and I'm off and running (on the 026 and 028). On the 024 this method doesn't work nor anything else I've tried. It never hints at starting until your arm is about to fall off (regardless of how I've done the choke), once it fires (even if mometarily) it will start easily.

thank you for your time.

Try too turn it on "fast idle" instead of choke after 3-4 pulls, regardless of any signs that it wants to start.

....but I suspect something isn't right with the carb...

Last edited:
I've got a little Poulan doing the same thing - I'm pretty sure the diaphram in the carb is shot, and it takes it that many pulls to suck the gas up to it. Rest of the day, it's fine. One of these days I'll get sick of pulling on it & change the **#!*??* thing.

It might just have low compression. If you don't have a compression tester, you can try to see if a little 30 weight in the spark plug hole will make it start when its cold. If it does, time for a rebuild.

It can also be the diaphragm in the carb is not pulling fuel.

Last edited:
compression

What should the compression be? Is there a repair and/or parts manual to be found on the net (free) somewhere?

Thank you for your time.

Are you sure the carb is set up right?

Check the L screw it should be about 1 turn out for normal setting. If it's less try it there first. If still no show try turning it out another 1/8th. L screw set too low will make it a biatch to start.

All other suggestions are valid, but it can't hurt to start with the easiest first:)

Try this: Choke it for 3-4 pulls. Remove choke even if you don't think you hear the motor trying to "pop" to life. Then hold throttle wide open and see if starts in 3 or 4 more pulls. If it does, then it's flooding. And I guess that could mean either carb malfunction/maladjustment.

follow up

Its been awhile. Previously, I did try the various suggestion on carb settings and starting techniques. No help.

I've been just letting the 024 sit. Played around with this weekend. Compression is at least 150 (good/bad ?). Guage leaks a little.

I cleaned up around the carb to see the gas line (gas line looks fine). I shot some PB into the carb. The saw was "cold" and fueless while I did all of this. I put a little fuel in the tank and it started much quicker, so I ran some B12 cleaner in the tank until empty. I'm going to let it sit a week and see what happens. Hopefully I can get off this easy...

Thanks.

seal

Will a carb kit include this? If a carb kit is the direction I have to go; aftermarket or sthil?

Rebuild instructions available online or with the kit?

Thank you for your time.

I'll know more after this coming weekend when I try to start it again...

No, the seal he is talking about is a crankshaft seal. Meaning you would have an air leak.

Not really something you would want to tackle if this is your first involvement with chainsaw repairs, but then again depends on you.

Plenty here will be able to guide you though it if needed.

L screw

Try richening up the L screw........my 440 had this problem although not as bad (10pulls), richened up the L screw and it now starts in 4 pulls dead cold, always a 1 pull starter warm.:greenchainsaw: :chainsaw: :cheers:

choke

lol, choke is functional and all there. I'm not going to get too excited until the restart this coming weekend. It may be a pipe dream that a little carb cleaner will solve the problem, but at least let me dream for a few more days?

Thanks all, outcome pending...

I have same 024 problem

This saw has been on the shelf for a year. My arm just could not take the abuse any more. But you guys have inspired my to give it a try.

That "No Good" LOL husky 455 sure is easy to start.

Just found this site. It is great! Kept me reading and searching for hours. I may never have to call my Davey Tree friend again.

Thanks.

This saw has been on the shelf for a year. My arm just could not take the abuse any more. But you guys have inspired my to give it a try.

That "No Good" LOL husky 455 sure is easy to start.

Just found this site. It is great! Kept me reading and searching for hours. I may never have to call my Davey Tree friend again.

Thanks.

Welcome, LOL - watch out if you hang around for more than a couple of threads you'll have at least 4 more saws on the way whether you need them or not...

BTW, my 20y/o 024S still start 3/4 pulls cold, 1 warm and never had anything major done to it... I'd try a carb kit and new impulse/fuel lines regardless, then think again if that doesn't cure it.

update

dream is over. Gave it a go yesterday, after 15 pulls called it quits. Will probably try the easy stuff first (harrygrey suggestions). Is there a 024 service manual available somewhere online? I'll probably make this a summer project, so result/answer will be slow in coming.

thanks all.

Back