Anyone using Amsoil 2 cycle oil at 64:1 or more?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

yungman

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
I am using Amsoil at 64:1 to give it a little more oil than suggested for my blower and trimmers. Should I be worry of too much oil since it suggested to use at 100:1.

Any long term experience?

Thanks

Thanks for the replies. Just want to get opinions. The new stuffs run a lot leaner, a tank of gas last much longer than the old stuff, that's why I feel the new equipments can use a little extra oil.

Back in the old days we had 16:1 and 20:1 mixes as everyone was just using 30 weight motor oil to mix. For my 70's era motorcycle I would actually buy 2 stroke oil made for motorcycles and dump a quart in the 5 gallon gas can. Later on I started to buy a sythentic oil called Golden Spectro and it burned really clean and a spark plug lasted all summer - but I did not change the mix ratio.

Then even better oils came along and the mix ratios changed.....and now we are all comforatable (well most of us are) running 50:1 mixes with synthetic oil. The new ratio even works in the old machines just fine.....my 1975 Suzuki now uses the 50:1 ratio and runs great and smokes much less than it used to. My Mantis Tiller and leaf blower all get run on 50:1 even though they are older and called for a bit more oil originally.

It may be that like some of the old timers......lots of us are not yet ready to embrace the 60:1,80:1 and 100:1 idea....even if the new oils can do it. I just bought a 2004 Sherco trials bike and the manufacturer and distributer all claim that it is absolutely necesary to run 80:1 mix - and if you run a richer oil mix the silencer in the muffler will clog up quickly. This engine is not run at full throttle much at all and spends lots of time at low rpms.

At this point I am running 50:1 in my chainsaws since Stihl tells me to do so. When Stihl instructs me to run 60:1, 70:1, 100:1 etc. in their manuals then I will embrace the idea......they are the ones in control of my warranty.....not Amsoil. Amsoil may run very well at 100:1......I am just not willing to be the one to finance their product testing and prove that it is a good thing.

I run Amsoil at 50:1 and when you take the muffler off and look at the piston and cylinder there is blue oil soaking everything, as in, very think coats on the walls and running down the piston.

Not that you can have too much oil (possibly), but it certainly appears that the 50:1 could be excessive. That being said it will take awhile before I switch to the 100:1 ratio, if ever. I would say there certainly isn't any reason to run it thicker than 50:1, oil quality in the present time is very much improved over the yester year's stuff.

That all being said, for one whole year I ran Walmart's Synthetic outboard oil including working in 100 degree days for weeks and never had any problems, I ran this at 40:1. The guy that works on the saws thought I had been using a quality oil because the internals showed no wear, they still had good cross hatching and no bearing problems or apparent wear. ***I don't recommend running outboard oil***

Sam

I run the Amsoil Saber Professional at 80-100:1 in my MS361, Stihl blower and trimmer, Husky edger and Echo hedge trimmer. Never a touch of a problem with any of them. They start great, excellent throttle response, low smoke and low smell.

Remember it is the oil manufacturers mix instructions that should be followed as that is what the oil is formulated for.

oneoldbanjo, it is not a matter of financing Amsoil's product as a 100:1 2 cycle oil has been available since the 70's. I think all the kinks have been worked out. :)

o2man98:

As soon as Stihl tells me in their manual I can mix at 50:1 for their oil and 100:1 if I am using Amsoil - I will do it. I just have too much money in my saws to be experimenting with Amsoil 100:1 oil when I can use synthetic at 50:1 and get good service. I understand that Amsoil is made (and probably safe) to run at 100:1 mix ratio - but is Amsoil willing to provide me warranty protection if Stihl denies repairs if I ignored their 50:1 requirements and mixed at 100:1?

I really don't see the benefit or need to run at a 100:1 mix at this time. My saws burn cleanly, they don't carbon up, they don't smoke, and I am sure they will never wear out in my remaining lifetime.

Now if I still had my old Mini-Mac that I was trying for years to blow up so I could get a new MS192T.....I would sure give it a try.

I ran Amsoil 100:1 mix in my honda 250R 4-wheeler for a few years with no issues. I mostly used it because everyone i knew thought it would burn it up right away. So it was pretty much to prove a point.

I have been thinking about using in in all my 2 stroke stuff around the house. But it is easier and cheaper to buy the stihl oil in the correct size and dump it in the can.

I don't see what the advantage would be in using amsoil. I don't think you would really extend the life of the engine compared to using stihl oil. Plus how many of us actually wear out a chainsaw engine. I would guess not many. And with the added cost you would probably end up loosing money in the long run. It is not like chainsaws are a big investment or cost a lot to repair. If we were talking about big equipment with a $100,000 engine and it would last longer with better oil, then it would be worth looking into. Do the math.

o2man98:

As soon as Stihl tells me in their manual I can mix at 50:1 for their oil and 100:1 if I am using Amsoil - I will do it. I just have too much money in my saws to be experimenting with Amsoil 100:1 oil when I can use synthetic at 50:1 and get good service. I understand that Amsoil is made (and probably safe) to run at 100:1 mix ratio - but is Amsoil willing to provide me warranty protection if Stihl denies repairs if I ignored their 50:1 requirements and mixed at 100:1?

I really don't see the benefit or need to run at a 100:1 mix at this time. My saws burn cleanly, they don't carbon up, they don't smoke, and I am sure they will never wear out in my remaining lifetime.

Now if I still had my old Mini-Mac that I was trying for years to blow up so I could get a new MS192T.....I would sure give it a try.

Warranty from Amsoil

There is one thing that I have not yet considered about mixing at 100:1. I did just visit the Amsoil Web Page and look at their product information. This stuff is synthetic and I suppose that the Amsoil Saber oil could be made in a concentrated form - although they don't really claim that this is the reason their oil can be mixed at 100:1. They do have other oils that are to be used at 50:1 - but their Saber oil is recommended at 100:1. It is possible that the Amsoil Saber oil has as much of the lubricating product in a half quart of 100:1 oil as other oils do in a full quart - the oil may just be refined to be thicker and have less of the "carrier" or "solvent" in it.

I don't have a problem accepting that it may be just fine to run Amsoil at 100:1 - but I do have a bunch of Mobil 2T that I bought and I don't think I have to buy any more mix oil for a long time. I have accepted that my newer water cooled 2 stroke motorcycle requires am 80:1 mix - and I may be converted over to 100:1 when it becomes that acceptable norm.

Don't feed the trolls is right...

Without looking, I don't believe Amsoil says they recommend it's only used at 100:1, I believe it's rated up to 100:1. With that said, I've never heard of anyone having any significant issues with using it at 100:1.

Either way, it's probably safe to stay at the manufactures recommended ratio if there is any doubt. Although, I don't think I would run anything richer than 50:1 since it's obviously not needed.

I run Amsoil Saber at higher ratios in a few older 2 strokes that I don't care about (I've gotten my use out of them and then some). I have one can that I mix at 80:1 (87 octane) and these engines have been running for many years on this w/o a single issue. In fact, they seem to run better using the Saber at 80:1 than they did at 50:1 with standard 2 stroke oil. I have a Shindawa (sp?) T30 trimmer and an Echo PB-2100 blower that have been running on this mix for at least 5 or more years and are still used heavily every week in my landscaping business... the damn things still run like a champ. While I've been doing this for a long time, I run Saber at 50:1 in my saws just to play it safe... Although at this point I think I've proven to myself Saber at 80:1 is completely safe since my saws will never ever see the hours/usage my landscaping equipment has seen.

The way I see it, if so many people have used Amsoil Saber at 100:1 with no significant issues, I would assume it must offer more than ample protection (and then some) at 50:1.

most two stroke oils will tell you what they can be mixed at in this case it is 100:1 but if you read the bottle carefully many of them say they can be mixed at other ratios and will even have a chart showing you how much to use for different ratios. some may even tell you to follow the equipment manufacturers directions

most two stroke oils will tell you what they can be mixed at in this case it is 100:1 but if you read the bottle carefully many of them say they can be mixed at other ratios and will even have a chart showing you how much to use for different ratios. some may even tell you to follow the equipment manufacturers directions

Here is the product data sheet from Amsoil. https://www.amsoil.com/lit/databulletins/g1987.pdf

Yes, you can run at more oil ratios. Like I said earlier, I run between 80 and 100:1 with no issues. As a matter of fact the first fill of gas in my 361 was at 80:1.

If you look at the actual (kinematic) viscosities, the Sabre is an SAE 40 at 13.5cSt @ 100*C, whereas all the *registered* JASO-FC/FD ols are around 7-8cSt (SAE 20) to suit injector systems.
Even the good syns like Castrol Power 1 Racing TTS are around 7.5 cSt @ 100*C.

Most of the full race oils are 12-17.5 cSt @ 100*C and you still run these at a 'normal' mix ratio, they just give more protection at higher temps/loads/revs.

What advantage are those that are running the really lean mix ratios hoping to achieve ?
It's been shown in testing that more power is achieved with richer mix ratios, all the way up to 16:1, and anyone running the good synthetics and syn blends are getting acceptable to no buildup on pistons and ports at 32-50:1, so what's the attraction ?

I'm not Amsoil bashing, they make good products, but like their mileage claims on car oil changes, it's just marketing.
You'd be mad to extend drains on a car/truck oil without used oil analysis, but you can't do that with a two stroke, you need to go the whole hog with teardowns and measuring everything in a controlled environment, so why try it ?

If you look at the actual (kinematic) viscosities, the Sabre is an SAE 40 at 13.5cSt @ 100*C, whereas all the *registered* JASO-FC/FD ols are around 7-8cSt (SAE 20) to suit injector systems.
Even the good syns like Castrol Power 1 Racing TTS are around 7.5 cSt @ 100*C.

Most of the full race oils are 12-17.5 cSt @ 100*C and you still run these at a 'normal' mix ratio, they just give more protection at higher temps/loads/revs.

What advantage are those that are running the really lean mix ratios hoping to achieve ?
It's been shown in testing that more power is achieved with richer mix ratios, all the way up to 16:1, and anyone running the good synthetics and syn blends are getting acceptable to no buildup on pistons and ports at 32-50:1, so what's the attraction ?

I'm not Amsoil bashing, they make good products, but like their mileage claims on car oil changes, it's just marketing.
You'd be mad to extend drains on a car/truck oil without used oil analysis, but you can't do that with a two stroke, you need to go the whole hog with teardowns and measuring everything in a controlled environment, so why try it ?

EGC/FC or EGD/FD testing does not require specific viscosities. FC/FD testing is comprised of 4 tests: Lubricity, Detergency, Smoke, and Exhaust Blocking. The difference between FC and FD is the Detergency Test which is 1 hour for FC and 3 hours for FD.

You state that viscosity is necessary for injection systems. This is why Amsoil directly states that both the Saber Professional and Saber Outboard are "Pre-Mix ONLY".

I run Amsoil at 50:1 and when you take the muffler off and look at the piston and cylinder there is blue oil soaking everything, as in, very think coats on the walls and running down the piston.

Not that you can have too much oil (possibly), but it certainly appears that the 50:1 could be excessive. That being said it will take awhile before I switch to the 100:1 ratio, if ever. I would say there certainly isn't any reason to run it thicker than 50:1, oil quality in the present time is very much improved over the yester year's stuff.

Sam

I think how much oil in the engine depend on the carb setting of the equipment. I look at the spark plug on 3 of the equipments I use 64:1. Echo HC151: the plug look a little oily, Shindaiwa C4 hand held blower: very slightly wet. Shindaiwa M242 ( newest): look dry.

I have to open the muffler in the future to check, sure looks like I can add a little more oil for the Shindaiwa M242.

Back