Chainsaw problem

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rube2112

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Greetings from Ohio.
I have recently started milling with my Husqvarna 455 and today I went back to the woods to get some more done and the saw wouldn't start. I've been using chainsaws and related equipment all my life and I take care of my stuff. The saw is getting gas, fire and should run but it won't. It only spits occasionally when trying to start it. I think this may be a compression problem but I have done nothing to the saw that would account for excessive wear to the engine especially since its only about a year old. I can't afford to run out and get another saw and I desperately need to get milling again. Compression seems weak until I oil the cylinder. I'm wondering what the chances are of having something in a reed valve. I'm a competent mechanic but not so much experience with 2 cycles. What is the procedure for inspecting the reed valves? From what I've heard, I don't want to fight a warranty battle because I'll most likely pay for it anyway. Any help would be appreciated......Robb

Your 455 doesn't have reeds...it's a strato-charged piston-ported two-cycle. (As if we needed more hyphenated descriptions.)

The new strato saws don't take as well to milling as the standard piston-ported two cycle engines. It's likely the piston is scuffed up pretty good. At this point you probably don't have enough compression to make a running saw.

Your 455 doesn't have reeds...it's a strato-charged piston-ported two-cycle. (As if we needed more hyphenated descriptions.)

The new strato saws don't take as well to milling as the standard piston-ported two cycle engines. It's likely the piston is scuffed up pretty good. At this point you probably don't have enough compression to make a running saw.

that sounds bad and its not cheap

Milling with a 455? Hmmm... that a very lean running motor... Good luck on any warranty.

Milling is very tough of saws. I richen the cr?p out of my 066, and run a heavier and full synthetic mix, and even then, I worry.

Last edited:

Well this is just great....the saw hasn't even been worked hard......doesn't even make sense why I would have this kind of problem already......Robb

Well this is just great....the saw hasn't even been worked hard......doesn't even make sense why I would have this kind of problem already......Robb

I can't say for sure that's what it is, but based on what you're describing it sounds like it. Plus like Andy said, those are lean from the factory, and the 455 was never intended for heavy work like milling.

First check for spark and try a new plug yours may be fowled out. If you have spark and fuel it should run, if there's compression. Check your compression you need at least 100psi for it to run............454

First check for spark and try a new plug yours may be fowled out. If you have spark and fuel it should run, if there's compression. Check your compression you need at least 100psi for it to run............454

He's got spark and fuel, and he already said the compression seems low until he squirts oil into the cylinder- that's a tell-tale sign.

I can't say for sure that's what it is, but based on what you're describing it sounds like it. Plus like Andy said, those are lean from the factory, and the 455 was never intended for heavy work like milling.

Well it won't start for sure. I basically have a brand new saw that won't run and this will completely ruin me selling anymore walnut. I built a small kiln and I had some buyers set up for rifle stock blanks and I'm about broke from trying to get all of this set up ....now my main machine is offline......Robb

I have not milled(yet), but it is my understanding that milling is hard on chainsaws because the saw is worked very hard in the cut and not given a break as in regular firewood cutting. If the saw is already tuned lean due to EPA restrictions, it will run hotter anyway. The more extra stress on the saw, the less ability it has to get rid of the extra heat, so it takes its toll on the machine by melting the aluminum piston, since it is the "weakest link" on the saw. I would imagine it would not take long for this to happen. Especially, if you were in some nice, long cuts.

If I am wrong in my understanding of milling with a chainsaw, I hope(and assume) I will be corrected.

I have not milled(yet), but it is my understanding that milling is hard on chainsaws because the saw is worked very hard in the cut and not given a break as in regular firewood cutting. If the saw is already tuned lean due to EPA restrictions, it will run hotter anyway. The more extra stress on the saw, the less ability it has to get rid of the extra heat, so it takes its toll on the machine by melting the aluminum piston, since it is the "weakest link" on the saw. I would imagine it would not take long for this to happen. Especially, if you were in some nice, long cuts.

If I am wrong in my understanding of milling with a chainsaw, I hope(and assume) I will be corrected.

Well my longest cuts have been about 6 feet. I've NEVER pushed that saw. If this is engine damage, this will be the last husky that I own......Robb

Tough break. Is your saw stihl under warrantee?? I think husky is 2 years for homeowners. No need to tell them you were milling with it. Did you purchase it local??

Don't let that make you run from Husqvarna saws... you are workin' the death out of a homeowner type saw. If you were milling with a 385XP or bigger... you would have better results, as they have the grunt to do the work. Like Andy said you have to run them rich, max out the oilers, and check them often for overheating...

Milling is extremely hard on a saw. The 455 is the last saw you probably should have been milling with. You don't even realize that you actually did push that saw when milling with it. Sorry for the loss of the saw...

Pull the muffler off and have a look at the front of the piston and rings.

Gary

Last edited:
Well my longest cuts have been about 6 feet. I've NEVER pushed that saw. If this is engine damage, this will be the last husky that I own......Robb

I feel your pain. But, the 455 wasn't meant to be used the way you used it. It is kind of like me bringing a shovel to clear out my cul-de-sac. Sure, the shovel will get the job done, but at a tremendous cost......Namely, my back!

Did they know what you were going to use the saw for at the place you bought it? If you had mentioned milling, they should not have sold you that saw.

Don't let that make you run from Husqvarna saws... you are workin' the death out of a homeowner type saw. If you were milling with a 385XP or bigger... you would have better results, as they have the grunt to do the work. Like Andy said you have to run them rich, max out the oilers, and check them often for overheating...

Milling is extremely hard on a saw. The 455 is the last saw you probably should have been milling with. You don't even realize that you actually did push that saw when milling with it. Sorry for the loss of the saw...

Pull the muffler off and have a look at the front of the piston and rings.

Gary

Actually its not unusual for a 455 to be milling.....I've read lots of posts on other websites from people milling with a 455 or even smaller than that. I'm telling you, this saw was not worked hard. In my mind it wasn't even broken in yet so I was running it easy. Robb

I feel your pain. But, the 455 wasn't meant to be used the way you used it. It is kind of like me bringing a shovel to clear out my cul-de-sac. Sure, the shovel will get the job done, but at a tremendous cost......Namely, my back!

Did they know what you were going to use the saw for at the place you bought it? If you had mentioned milling, they should not have sold you that saw.

No...the saw came from Lowes

Well I for one have never heard on any website of a guy doing serious milling with a homeowner saw. Sorry but it is a poor choice for a milling setup.

Again, it sucks that the saw might be burned up... but it's not the end of the world. Pull that muffler off and have a look inside to see what the piston and rings look like.

Gary

Back