Chainsaw problem

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Muffler Off

Sure would like to see a pic of the muffler side view of that piston.

I just inspected the muffler side of the piston.....No visible scoring or anything. There is a burn ring above the piston ring but that is normal above the ring. No visible scoring on the opposite cylinder wall either. I don't know what is going on.........Robb

I can't say for sure that's what it is, but based on what you're describing it sounds like it. Plus like Andy said, those are lean from the factory, and the 455 was never intended for heavy work like milling.
I think the 455 was old Saps choice of weapon for milling wasn't it??? And Sap was never wrong.:hmm3grin2orange:

I think the 455 was old Saps choice of weapon for milling wasn't it??? And Sap was never wrong.:hmm3grin2orange:

I don't think I have a compression tester anymore.....I can stop the compression with my thumb......not very scientific though......Robb

Then your probably getting a false reading.:) :)

Picture 1. This picture is decieving....there is NO scoring.......only dark coloration.
Picture 2. This is the bottom portion of the piston as the crankshaft pushes it to its topmost position.....completely pristine......unmarked.
Picture 3. Cylinder wall in focus......no marks......only a little dirt and oil. Robb

God willing you'll get away with a set of rings. Next time out mix your fuel at 20:1. Use the best two stroke oil you can find and pay close attention to the engine temp. Make a cut and then stop and cool down.

Attached is a picture of a Stratocharged engine so you can see whats going on. They call the scavenging cycle air 'lead' air, as its ahead of the fuel/oil charge. There should be two small reed valves on the sides of the cylinder that allow this incoming air charge to clear the exhaust.

Do the rings move in and out if you push on them?

There seems to be a lot of build up present in the photos.

Hold the pullcord handle and drop the saw, it shouldn't just drop straight down it should catch a few times on the way down...

No it doesn't drop straight down.....it does catch.....Now since I've looked inside the saw I'm wondering if its possible that a few drops of water are in the carb or something........none of this makes any sense. And since alot of you are talking about how lean the saw runs......how much richer should I adjust it to assuming that I can get it running? Do I need to remove the factory carb adjustment stops?.....Robb

God willing you'll get away with a set of rings. Next time out mix your fuel at 20:1. Use the best two stroke oil you can find and pay close attention to the engine temp. Make a cut and then stop and cool down.

Attached is a picture of a Stratocharged engine so you can see whats going on. They call the scavenging cycle air 'lead' air, as its ahead of the fuel/oil charge. There should be two small reed valves on the sides of the cylinder that allow this incoming air charge to clear the exhaust.

Thanks............Robb

Is the decompression valve closing? Pull it shut and it should have a firm snap to it.

Yes it is closing......this thing just won't start........has to be compression......It sure does act like it has enough to start but it just doesn't......spark plug gets wet........spark plug sparks..........has to be damage.....Robb

Latest posts

Back